Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade award after waitlist close

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2018, 2:38 am
Original Poster

Upgrade award after waitlist close

What are the chances to upgrade award Premium Economy to Business using Asia miles after waitlist is closed?
I was told to call back every day to check for availability. Even thou i checked on Cathay booking that Business class ticket is still available.

I'm quite close to my departure date.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 6:00 am
yt1

Programs: CX Gold
if no available before departure, you can try airport upgrade and they will grant you if there's seat in J
Old Aug 21, 2018, 8:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yt1
if no available before departure, you can try airport upgrade and they will grant you if there's seat in J
The problem is I’m using my friend’s miles to upgrade. I know if this to be done at airport he needs to be flying as well? Unfortunately he is not flying with me.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 9:47 am

Programs: CX GO, AC Aeroplan 25K, AMEX PLAT, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire Amb
This thread should answer your question:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cath...rk-awards.html

And this was my experience posted as one of the recent replies:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/show...&postcount=779
Old Aug 21, 2018, 10:52 pm

Programs: CX DM
Originally Posted by bjory
The problem is I’m using my friend’s miles to upgrade. I know if this to be done at airport he needs to be flying as well? Unfortunately he is not flying with me.
This can only be done if he is also present. He needs to present ID and sign.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 11:05 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
The original premium economy ticket is an award ticket? I don’t know if this can be reissued at the airport as a airport upgrade.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 11:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sxc
The original premium economy ticket is an award ticket? I don’t know if this can be reissued at the airport as a airport upgrade.
Original ticket is not an award ticket. It’s Premium Economy in R fare. However when I called AM for the upgrade, they said cannot see availability and wait list close.

I can keep on try on try calling them everyday to enquire on the upgrade availability. However this is still very unknown.

That’s why I was checking if anyone had the same experience to get the upgrade last few days. My flight is due this Sat.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 5:43 am
yt1

if you are sure J has seats, keep trying every day with hotline and worst case you ask your friend to be with you at airport... (if he's not in your city then never mind)

another risky move is have your friend transfer miles to you, but could be a case there's no J seat at airport in the end.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 8:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yt1
if you are sure J has seats, keep trying every day with hotline and worst case you ask your friend to be with you at airport... (if he's not in your city then never mind)

another risky move is have your friend transfer miles to you, but could be a case there's no J seat at airport in the end.
Thanks for the suggestion!

I’m thinking as well to place a upgrade bid but the starting bid price is crazy! In order to get a good chance the bid price is almost the same price if I purchase a business ticket.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 7:02 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by marcuslai
This can only be done if he is also present. He needs to present ID and sign.
Originally Posted by yt1
The sponsor needs to be on the same flight: "14. The Redemption Group Nominee is not required to travel with the Member if they arrange an Upgrade Award in advance through the Asia Miles Service Centre. However, for Airport Upgrade Awards, the Redemption Group Nominee must travel with the Member on the same flight."
Old Aug 22, 2018, 7:05 pm

I'm quite close to my departure date.
How close? 4 days?
Old Aug 23, 2018, 2:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cxfan1960
How close? 4 days?
2 days :
Old Aug 23, 2018, 6:12 pm

2 days :
I think they usually closed waitlist about 4 days in advance regardless of loading. You can still call AM or MPC to see if you can get your upgrade.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 9:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cxfan1960
I think they usually closed waitlist about 4 days in advance regardless of loading. You can still call AM or MPC to see if you can get your upgrade.
I did tried to call less than 4 days for my first leg but they still said no availability. Now I asked them on my return leg which is 14 days later they told me that waitlist is closed. 😫
Old Aug 25, 2018, 3:38 pm
yt1

so after 2 days to depart today, did you get upgrade in the end ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.