Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

"Almost half of Cathay Pacific’s pilots want to leave the Hong Kong carrier"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Almost half of Cathay Pacific’s pilots want to leave the Hong Kong carrier"

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2018, 10:06 am

Programs: MPC-DM, Enrich-Plat
Originally Posted by CX HK
I'm sorry, I think you're reading too many articles focusing on the 2nd generation rich kids, the ones who are spoon fed by their maids until the age of 10, and so on - essentially, the extreme cases. I'm not saying the West or Western employees have no value - heck, in my industry (banking), they practically helped build the Asian S&T and investment banking industry from the ground up in the 80s and 90s. Barristers, solicitors, prosecutors, judges - many were from England or Commonwealth jurisdictions. They were here to help raise the standard - and it was invaluable, but this was the 80s and 90s.

Fast forward to today, the number of expat bankers are drastically lower than before. Barristers, judges - these are slowly becoming localized, with the exception of top Silks from England who come work on high profile cases - again, helping raise the local standard here. They have value, but the role is diminished.

The pilot who was a part-time tuk tuk driver - I don't doubt the story, but is it relevant to HK? How relevant is it to modern Asian pilots, anyway? In your words, Western experts were hired - rightfully so - to change the culture, for the future, not to be the only pilots "raised" the right way. In fact, if these Western experts do their jobs well, it would result in more local pilots.

Sorry for straying OT!
I don't argue about Western supremacy, I do raise that specific methods (found out in Western countries, the hard way) are the only way to make flying safe/safer. Youngsters who got raised in societies, where exactly those aspects which are relevant for the safety are being punished as unacceptable, do simply miss the essential capabilities. Let such a youngster grow up in a Western environment (including direct family, etc), then youngsters don't miss out on the essential items I mentioned.

An Asian pilot, having a second job as a tuk-tuk drivers, simply does have a mindset not suitable for aviation safety.

The opposite around applies also, don't expect a Western airline pilot to be tuk-tuk driver, s/he would get crazy about the needed tuk-tuk driver working habits, effectively ending up continuously "grounding" the tuk-tuk due to technical failures

Let me give another example: Industrial welders are often seen as being lazy, not wanting to help positioning the materials, doing heavy work, etc. However, If they would do, their hands would tremble somewhat, which does ruin the welds and the whole work has to be redone.

Or so to say, (quite a lot actually) jobs are incompatible. And the same applies for growing up in a society type A and work in an environment type B. Humans don't have a switch to move from one type to the other, without inflicting reciprocal effects.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 6:19 pm

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
I always thought Flight crew and cabin crew would have the same layovers in outports. I do recall cabin crew complaining about their RSR scheme whereby their layovers for some AUS cities and AKL were cut to about 19hrs...recently I found out that for example FCO the flight crew operate the flight the next day (so basically under 24hrs), where as the cabin crew would operate the flight day after.

I think they also fly up to 3 sectors a day, while cabin crew normally does 2 for regional flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.