Booked KA F to PVG but downgraded

Old Aug 20, 18, 4:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MPC SL
Booked KA F to PVG but downgraded

I booked a redemption via IB for KA F for the outbound to PVG and CX J for the inbound. The day after I book, I was downgraded by CX to J and website is not selling F anymore (it was selling every single day of October when I booked, but seems like everything got pulled the day after I booked).

What should I do? I prefer dealing with CX instead of IB, and would like to change to an earlier flight on the same flight if possible since I only picked the 1pm flight because it has first class....
Old Aug 20, 18, 8:01 pm

Programs: CX GO, SPG Plat
Hi,
I believe KA does not have guaranteed F to PVG (only PEK x6 (?)), so as you booked into F, I believe they will just refund your miles and downgrade you into J. You could get a last minute equipment swap onto the 33R though.

Cheers
Old Aug 20, 18, 8:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP - Two questions:
1. From where does your flight depart? You have given us destination, but not origin. It may matter.
2. You have said you "booked" but were you issued an e-ticket (you would have an e-ticket number, not just a PNR)?
Old Aug 24, 18, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As IB issued the ticket, you'll have to deal with IB. Their ability to rebook you will depend on award availability on the flights you want. If there is none, you may be able to request IB to contact their CX liason, but there's probably no guarantee.

Assuming this is just a single-segment round-trip, you should get a refund back for the difference in miles, of course again IB would need to handle that.
Old Aug 24, 18, 6:05 pm
Moderator: Cathay Pacific Asia Miles and Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by ijgordon View Post
As IB issued the ticket, you'll have to deal with IB. Their ability to rebook you will depend on award availability on the flights you want. If there is none, you may be able to request IB to contact their CX liason, but there's probably no guarantee.

Assuming this is just a single-segment round-trip, you should get a refund back for the difference in miles, of course again IB would need to handle that.
That's correct. CX cannot change the ticket issued by IB. OP has to deal with IB.
Old Aug 27, 18, 1:56 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Above isnt entirely correct. Whens ur flight
Old Aug 27, 18, 1:57 am
Suspended

Above isnt entirely correct. Whens ur flight
Old Aug 27, 18, 4:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: MPC SL
To answer some of the questions above. The flight is in the first week of October. From HKG to PVG and back. I am prepared to deal with IB if I have no choice but just wanted to double check first to see if there is a possibility I can deal directly with CX...
Old Aug 27, 18, 4:49 am

Programs: AA EXP, CX GR, AS MVP GLD
Originally Posted by imnewhere View Post
To answer some of the questions above. The flight is in the first week of October. From HKG to PVG and back. I am prepared to deal with IB if I have no choice but just wanted to double check first to see if there is a possibility I can deal directly with CX...
Normally, no. But it doesn’t hurt to try. Once I had CX made a new flight reservation in my PNR and had AS (where I initially booked the ticket) reissued my ticket. However it was very time consuming and the downgrade was more “major” (a F-J downgrade HKG-LAX)
Old Aug 27, 18, 4:51 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by imnewhere View Post
pros n cons
if u go to ib now, best you’ll PROBABLY get the refund and i doubt they’ll let you change flights
if u go to cx now, theyd prob turn u away
im thinkjng u go to hkg and turn up w ur printed itinerary and see if they can put you on a flight u want... and see what they would do w the refund (which would eventually come as likely as u find ib now)
Old Aug 27, 18, 7:10 am

Programs: QR - plat (OWE), 9W - plat, Bonvoy - plat, HH - gold, Shangri La - jade, Taj - gold, Sixt - plat
I fly HKG-TPE-HKG several times a year in paid J and ocassionally in redemption J. I've never been denied a change to an earlier flight if I show up at the check-in counter and ask. I'm assuming PVG would be similar, given the frequency of flights. Use this strategy if you fail to have IB change it in advance.
kaka likes this.
Old Aug 27, 18, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB AF Silver, BA Gold
Originally Posted by vbh812 View Post
I fly HKG-TPE-HKG several times a year in paid J and ocassionally in redemption J. I've never been denied a change to an earlier flight if I show up at the check-in counter and ask. I'm assuming PVG would be similar, given the frequency of flights. Use this strategy if you fail to have IB change it in advance.
I think that the situation is somewhat different.
What normally would happen once CX/KA notified IB that there is no F on this flight and that the pax is moved to J, then IB reissues the ticket in J.
When the pax shows up at PVG, the agent will see a J ticket not a F ticket.
QRC3288 likes this.
Old Aug 27, 18, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB AF Silver, BA Gold
Originally Posted by vbh812 View Post
What normally would happen once CX/KA notified IB that there is no F on this flight and that the pax is moved to J, then IB reissues the ticket in J.

This is over a month before the flight, not a last minute change.
Old Aug 27, 18, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by shd9 View Post
[left]

Normally, no. But it doesn’t hurt to try.
If by hurt, you're specifically not referring to waiting on hold for an hour to get through to CX on the phone, then no, it doesn't hurt.

That said, IB is probably at least as bad.
Old Aug 29, 18, 3:53 am

Programs: QR - plat (OWE), 9W - plat, Bonvoy - plat, HH - gold, Shangri La - jade, Taj - gold, Sixt - plat
Originally Posted by brunos View Post

In the first post, the OP said that they chose the 1pm flight ONLY to fly F; else they would have chosen an earlier flight - I interpreted that the earlier flights do not offer F. My point was wrt to taking an earlier flight in J if F is no longer an option and IB doesn't/can't/won't change their reservations to an earlier flight (in J) - in my experience, CX is very flexible with allowing switches to earlier flights (in J), at the check-in counter, on the HKG-TPE-HKG sector and I assumed it may be similar for HKG-PVG given the high frequency between them.

If IB works with them to offer an acceptable solution, none of what I wrote matters.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: