FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Cathay Pacific | Cathay (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-cathay-487/)
-   -   Booked KA F to PVG but downgraded (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-cathay/1926293-booked-ka-f-pvg-but-downgraded.html)

imnewhere Aug 20, 2018 3:51 pm

Booked KA F to PVG but downgraded

I booked a redemption via IB for KA F for the outbound to PVG and CX J for the inbound. The day after I book, I was downgraded by CX to J and website is not selling F anymore (it was selling every single day of October when I booked, but seems like everything got pulled the day after I booked).

What should I do? I prefer dealing with CX instead of IB, and would like to change to an earlier flight on the same flight if possible since I only picked the 1pm flight because it has first class....

Sydflyerr Aug 20, 2018 7:01 pm

Hi,
I believe KA does not have guaranteed F to PVG (only PEK x6 (?)), so as you booked into F, I believe they will just refund your miles and downgrade you into J. You could get a last minute equipment swap onto the 33R though.

Cheers

Often1 Aug 20, 2018 7:26 pm

OP - Two questions:
1. From where does your flight depart? You have given us destination, but not origin. It may matter.
2. You have said you "booked" but were you issued an e-ticket (you would have an e-ticket number, not just a PNR)?

ijgordon Aug 24, 2018 11:04 am

As IB issued the ticket, you'll have to deal with IB. Their ability to rebook you will depend on award availability on the flights you want. If there is none, you may be able to request IB to contact their CX liason, but there's probably no guarantee.

Assuming this is just a single-segment round-trip, you should get a refund back for the difference in miles, of course again IB would need to handle that.

cxfan1960 Aug 24, 2018 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by ijgordon (Post 30125251)
As IB issued the ticket, you'll have to deal with IB. Their ability to rebook you will depend on award availability on the flights you want. If there is none, you may be able to request IB to contact their CX liason, but there's probably no guarantee.

Assuming this is just a single-segment round-trip, you should get a refund back for the difference in miles, of course again IB would need to handle that.

That's correct. CX cannot change the ticket issued by IB. OP has to deal with IB.

kaka Aug 27, 2018 12:56 am

Above isnt entirely correct. Whens ur flight

kaka Aug 27, 2018 12:57 am

Above isnt entirely correct. Whens ur flight

imnewhere Aug 27, 2018 3:42 am

To answer some of the questions above. The flight is in the first week of October. From HKG to PVG and back. I am prepared to deal with IB if I have no choice but just wanted to double check first to see if there is a possibility I can deal directly with CX...

shd9 Aug 27, 2018 3:49 am

Originally Posted by imnewhere (Post 30134020)
To answer some of the questions above. The flight is in the first week of October. From HKG to PVG and back. I am prepared to deal with IB if I have no choice but just wanted to double check first to see if there is a possibility I can deal directly with CX...

Normally, no. But it doesn’t hurt to try. Once I had CX made a new flight reservation in my PNR and had AS (where I initially booked the ticket) reissued my ticket. However it was very time consuming and the downgrade was more “major” (a F-J downgrade HKG-LAX)

kaka Aug 27, 2018 3:51 am

Originally Posted by imnewhere (Post 30134020)

pros n cons
if u go to ib now, best you’ll PROBABLY get the refund and i doubt they’ll let you change flights
if u go to cx now, theyd prob turn u away
im thinkjng u go to hkg and turn up w ur printed itinerary and see if they can put you on a flight u want... and see what they would do w the refund (which would eventually come as likely as u find ib now)

vbh812 Aug 27, 2018 6:10 am

I fly HKG-TPE-HKG several times a year in paid J and ocassionally in redemption J. I've never been denied a change to an earlier flight if I show up at the check-in counter and ask. I'm assuming PVG would be similar, given the frequency of flights. Use this strategy if you fail to have IB change it in advance.

brunos Aug 27, 2018 7:21 am

Originally Posted by vbh812 (Post 30134335)
I fly HKG-TPE-HKG several times a year in paid J and ocassionally in redemption J. I've never been denied a change to an earlier flight if I show up at the check-in counter and ask. I'm assuming PVG would be similar, given the frequency of flights. Use this strategy if you fail to have IB change it in advance.

I think that the situation is somewhat different.
What normally would happen once CX/KA notified IB that there is no F on this flight and that the pax is moved to J, then IB reissues the ticket in J.
When the pax shows up at PVG, the agent will see a J ticket not a F ticket.

brunos Aug 27, 2018 7:24 am

Originally Posted by vbh812 (Post 30134335)

What normally would happen once CX/KA notified IB that there is no F on this flight and that the pax is moved to J, then IB reissues the ticket in J.

This is over a month before the flight, not a last minute change.

ijgordon Aug 27, 2018 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by shd9 (Post 30134031)
[left]

Normally, no. But it doesn’t hurt to try.

If by hurt, you're specifically not referring to waiting on hold for an hour to get through to CX on the phone, then no, it doesn't hurt. ;)

That said, IB is probably at least as bad.

vbh812 Aug 29, 2018 2:53 am

Originally Posted by brunos (Post 30134560)

In the first post, the OP said that they chose the 1pm flight ONLY to fly F; else they would have chosen an earlier flight - I interpreted that the earlier flights do not offer F. My point was wrt to taking an earlier flight in J if F is no longer an option and IB doesn't/can't/won't change their reservations to an earlier flight (in J) - in my experience, CX is very flexible with allowing switches to earlier flights (in J), at the check-in counter, on the HKG-TPE-HKG sector and I assumed it may be similar for HKG-PVG given the high frequency between them.

If IB works with them to offer an acceptable solution, none of what I wrote matters.