Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

MNL Flights Cancelled - Until Further Notice

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2018, 6:55 pm
Original Poster

Location: Vancouver, Manila, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Hong Kong
Programs: CX-DM, Marriott Gold, Fairmont Premier
Manila Airport Crash + Downgraded From Premium Economy To Economy

So I woke up this morning and found out there was a crash at the MNL airport.

https://www.businessinsider.com/boei...irlines-2018-8

Thankfully all on the plane have been reported safe.

Anyways, I received an email telling me my flight has been canceled and that I'm now delayed 3 hours on the next. I've also been downgraded from Premium Economy (R) to Economy (L). In the past, I've received upgrade vouchers which I will 'assume' I will get again today. But since I'm going from PEY R to Economy L and I've paid for the PEY R, will they compensate me for club points I won't be getting anymore?
Old Aug 16, 2018, 8:03 pm

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by blum81
So I woke up this morning and found out there was a crash at the MNL airport.

https://www.businessinsider.com/boei...irlines-2018-8

Thankfully all on the plane have been reported safe.

Anyways, I received an email telling me my flight has been canceled and that I'm now delayed 3 hours on the next. I've also been downgraded from Premium Economy (R) to Economy (L). In the past, I've received upgrade vouchers which I will 'assume' I will get again today. But since I'm going from PEY R to Economy L and I've paid for the PEY R, will they compensate me for club points I won't be getting anymore?
I think they normally credit the CP and Miles of the original ticketed booking class...if not you can write to MPO to sort it out.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 8:04 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Such a tabloid heading by Business Insider - I don't think this qualifies as a crash land.
kaffir76 and clubeurope like this.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 8:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyPointyEnd
I think they normally credit the CP and Miles of the original ticketed booking class...if not you can write to MPO to sort it out.
Thanks for the feedback FlyPointyEnd.

So since my original ticketed booking class was PEY (R) i should be getting that even though I'm sitting in Economy?
Old Aug 16, 2018, 8:31 pm

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist

So since my original ticketed booking class was PEY (R) i should be getting that even though I'm sitting in Economy?
i think so. I think its similar to rerouting or if you are transferred to a different carrier.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 3:10 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ Gold
This happned to me on a TPE typhoon. Downgraded to L at (>4 hours) then got upgraded to J at the gate but my club points credited as L. I had to call them and they reinstated my PEY (R) points after.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 3:50 am

You will have to write in to claim the difference. It doesn't happen automatically, but you will end up getting whatever you would have received in R.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 6:35 am
Original Poster

Actually the points right now isnt my biggest concern right now.

I'm stuck in the Philippines and my wedding reception is in Saturday. My fiancee and I are freaking out a bit.

all flights are cancelled because the crashed plane is still off the runway.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 6:46 am
Original Poster

Is anyone else stuck in MNL? How are you coping with the cancellations?

I've heard word when I was waiting in line that there may be no flights out of Manila till Monday.

Has anyone been able to get their flights rescheduled? I've called the diamond number multiple times it took me calling 3 times to get someone who would actually help me instead of saying talk to the local staff.

has anyone been compensated hotel or food vouchers? My fiancee has friends working for air asia and Malaysia air and their customers are being given accommodations.

I'm fortunate my work has accommodations for me but I feel for those who have literally been left stranded at terminal 3.

sorry edit:
https://www.rappler.com/business/209766-canceled-flights-naia-august-17-2018

link to incident at MNL

Last edited by blum81; Aug 17, 2018 at 7:12 am
Old Aug 17, 2018, 6:49 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Runway closure due to prior incident, in case anyone else was wondering....
Old Aug 17, 2018, 7:04 am

Programs: MileagePlus Gold, Avis PP, National EE, Lifemiles Silver, ConnectMiles Gold

I'm stuck in the Philippines and my wedding reception is in Saturday. My fiancee and I are freaking out a bit.

I think it's meant to be cleared today. If you're really in a rush, position somewhere else that has short haul in it and then position from there to your destination.

Wide bodies are the only ones affected due to the only runway they can use being closed.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 7:26 am

Im at the airport right now and I could see multiple gates with MNL flights. There was one that was supposed to leave at 9am and they still made people wait there?! Looks like a really bad situation down there.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC

MNL is one of your locations on your profile.

Have you not heard of:

CRK?
Old Aug 17, 2018, 7:34 am
Original Poster

I was there from 12pm to around 8pm waiting in the front of the Marco polo line and they never told me my flight was cancelled and just "wait for a while.."

wasnt until around 8ish that they did a mass explanation to all telling us all that all flights are cancelled.

no food vouchers or hotels or anything even offered. We were told to just check the website and call the general number.

I called the diamond line and have an agent trying to get me the earliest flight out. but it seems like I have a 20% chance sunday and 0% chance on Saturday.

Worst of all my fiancee and I will miss our wedding events back home because of this.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 7:38 am

Originally Posted by fast03
Im at the airport right now and I could see multiple gates with MNL flights. There was one that was supposed to leave at 9am and they still made people wait there?! Looks like a really bad situation down there.
Here at Pier, they are asking everyone here if they are flying to MNL. The board now says all flights today are cancelled. With 7 flights/day im sure this is a disaster for CX.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.