Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Marco Polo Club
Reload this Page >

MNL Flights Cancelled - Until Further Notice

MNL Flights Cancelled - Until Further Notice

Old Aug 16, 18, 6:55 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Vancouver, Manila, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Hong Kong
Programs: CX-DM, Marriott Gold, Fairmont Premier
Posts: 309
Manila Airport Crash + Downgraded From Premium Economy To Economy

So I woke up this morning and found out there was a crash at the MNL airport.

https://www.businessinsider.com/boei...irlines-2018-8

Thankfully all on the plane have been reported safe.

Anyways, I received an email telling me my flight has been canceled and that I'm now delayed 3 hours on the next. I've also been downgraded from Premium Economy (R) to Economy (L). In the past, I've received upgrade vouchers which I will 'assume' I will get again today. But since I'm going from PEY R to Economy L and I've paid for the PEY R, will they compensate me for club points I won't be getting anymore?
blum81 is offline  
Old Aug 16, 18, 8:03 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: MNL
Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
Posts: 2,240
Originally Posted by blum81 View Post
So I woke up this morning and found out there was a crash at the MNL airport.

https://www.businessinsider.com/boei...irlines-2018-8

Thankfully all on the plane have been reported safe.

Anyways, I received an email telling me my flight has been canceled and that I'm now delayed 3 hours on the next. I've also been downgraded from Premium Economy (R) to Economy (L). In the past, I've received upgrade vouchers which I will 'assume' I will get again today. But since I'm going from PEY R to Economy L and I've paid for the PEY R, will they compensate me for club points I won't be getting anymore?
I think they normally credit the CP and Miles of the original ticketed booking class...if not you can write to MPO to sort it out.
FlyPointyEnd is offline  
Old Aug 16, 18, 8:04 pm
  #3  
sxc
Moderator, Cathay Pacific
Accor Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Posts: 10,492
Such a tabloid heading by Business Insider - I don't think this qualifies as a crash land.
kaffir76 and clubeurope like this.
sxc is offline  
Old Aug 16, 18, 8:14 pm
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Vancouver, Manila, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Hong Kong
Programs: CX-DM, Marriott Gold, Fairmont Premier
Posts: 309
Originally Posted by FlyPointyEnd View Post
I think they normally credit the CP and Miles of the original ticketed booking class...if not you can write to MPO to sort it out.
Thanks for the feedback FlyPointyEnd.

So since my original ticketed booking class was PEY (R) i should be getting that even though I'm sitting in Economy?
blum81 is offline  
Old Aug 16, 18, 8:31 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: MNL
Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
Posts: 2,240
Originally Posted by blum81 View Post
Thanks for the feedback FlyPointyEnd.

So since my original ticketed booking class was PEY (R) i should be getting that even though I'm sitting in Economy?
i think so. I think its similar to rerouting or if you are transferred to a different carrier.
FlyPointyEnd is offline  
Old Aug 17, 18, 3:10 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: HKG
Programs: CX DM, SQ Gold
Posts: 81
This happned to me on a TPE typhoon. Downgraded to L at (>4 hours) then got upgraded to J at the gate but my club points credited as L. I had to call them and they reinstated my PEY (R) points after.
fast03 is offline  
Old Aug 17, 18, 3:50 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: HKG
Posts: 1,052
Originally Posted by blum81 View Post
Thanks for the feedback FlyPointyEnd.

So since my original ticketed booking class was PEY (R) i should be getting that even though I'm sitting in Economy?
You will have to write in to claim the difference. It doesn't happen automatically, but you will end up getting whatever you would have received in R.
gpia is offline  
Old Aug 17, 18, 6:35 am
  #8  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Vancouver, Manila, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Hong Kong
Programs: CX-DM, Marriott Gold, Fairmont Premier
Posts: 309
Actually the points right now isnt my biggest concern right now.

I'm stuck in the Philippines and my wedding reception is in Saturday. My fiancee and I are freaking out a bit.

all flights are cancelled because the crashed plane is still off the runway.
blum81 is offline  
Old Aug 17, 18, 6:46 am
  #9  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Vancouver, Manila, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Hong Kong
Programs: CX-DM, Marriott Gold, Fairmont Premier
Posts: 309
MNL Flights Cancelled - Until Further Notice

Is anyone else stuck in MNL? How are you coping with the cancellations?

I've heard word when I was waiting in line that there may be no flights out of Manila till Monday.

Has anyone been able to get their flights rescheduled? I've called the diamond number multiple times it took me calling 3 times to get someone who would actually help me instead of saying talk to the local staff.

has anyone been compensated hotel or food vouchers? My fiancee has friends working for air asia and Malaysia air and their customers are being given accommodations.

I'm fortunate my work has accommodations for me but I feel for those who have literally been left stranded at terminal 3.


sorry edit:
https://www.rappler.com/business/209766-canceled-flights-naia-august-17-2018

link to incident at MNL

Last edited by blum81; Aug 17, 18 at 7:12 am
blum81 is offline  
Old Aug 17, 18, 6:49 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: London, United Kingdom
Programs: British Airways Gold
Posts: 2,558
Runway closure due to prior incident, in case anyone else was wondering....
ajeleonard is offline  
Old Aug 17, 18, 7:04 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: SJO - MAN - LAX
Programs: MileagePlus Gold, Avis PP, National EE, Lifemiles Silver, ConnectMiles Gold
Posts: 531
Originally Posted by blum81 View Post
Actually the points right now isnt my biggest concern right now.

I'm stuck in the Philippines and my wedding reception is in Saturday. My fiancee and I are freaking out a bit.

all flights are cancelled because the crashed plane is still off the runway.
I think it's meant to be cleared today. If you're really in a rush, position somewhere else that has short haul in it and then position from there to your destination.

Wide bodies are the only ones affected due to the only runway they can use being closed.
Redwood839 is offline  
Old Aug 17, 18, 7:26 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: HKG
Programs: CX DM, SQ Gold
Posts: 81
Im at the airport right now and I could see multiple gates with MNL flights. There was one that was supposed to leave at 9am and they still made people wait there?! Looks like a really bad situation down there.
fast03 is offline  
Old Aug 17, 18, 7:31 am
  #13  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Earth. Residency:HKG formerly:YYZ Business: ATL, PVG, PEK, CAN, SZX, MNL, SIN, KUL, BKK, SGN, CPT, UIO
Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Posts: 10,287
Originally Posted by blum81 View Post
Actually the points right now isnt my biggest concern right now.

I'm stuck in the Philippines and my wedding reception is in Saturday. My fiancee and I are freaking out a bit.

all flights are cancelled because the crashed plane is still off the runway.
MNL is one of your locations on your profile.

Have you not heard of:

CRK?
tentseller is offline  
Old Aug 17, 18, 7:34 am
  #14  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Vancouver, Manila, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Hong Kong
Programs: CX-DM, Marriott Gold, Fairmont Premier
Posts: 309
I was there from 12pm to around 8pm waiting in the front of the Marco polo line and they never told me my flight was cancelled and just "wait for a while.."

wasnt until around 8ish that they did a mass explanation to all telling us all that all flights are cancelled.

no food vouchers or hotels or anything even offered. We were told to just check the website and call the general number.

I called the diamond line and have an agent trying to get me the earliest flight out. but it seems like I have a 20% chance sunday and 0% chance on Saturday.

Worst of all my fiancee and I will miss our wedding events back home because of this.
blum81 is offline  
Old Aug 17, 18, 7:38 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: HKG
Programs: CX DM, SQ Gold
Posts: 81
Originally Posted by fast03 View Post
Im at the airport right now and I could see multiple gates with MNL flights. There was one that was supposed to leave at 9am and they still made people wait there?! Looks like a really bad situation down there.
Here at Pier, they are asking everyone here if they are flying to MNL. The board now says all flights today are cancelled. With 7 flights/day im sure this is a disaster for CX.
fast03 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: