Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

MNL Flights Cancelled - Until Further Notice

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MNL Flights Cancelled - Until Further Notice

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2018, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by cerberus435
This. My wife has a J flight back to the States that's leaving next Thursday on a 359. If that flight gets cancelled, told her to go to Clark and get on a flight to HKG. Cebu Pacific if she has to.
I would get a ticket on 5J or Z2's A320s to HKG to connect to the HKG US flight as insurance base on the time it takes to get things done in the Philippines.

The weather in the area is not helping matters.

Last edited by tentseller; Aug 17, 2018 at 3:09 pm
Old Aug 17, 2018, 3:19 pm

Programs: Mosaic, AsiaMiles, Mabuhay, Alaska
Originally Posted by tentseller
I would get a ticket on 5J or Z2's A320s to HKG to connect to the HKG US flight as insurance base on the time it takes to get things done in the Philippines.

The weather in the area is not helping matters.
I looked into that, but CRK is closer to home and has no traffic. I'd fly into CRK all the time if it wasn't so expensive. Honestly, It sucks that my government pours so much money into NAIA. I hate that GD airport.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cerberus435
I looked into that, but CRK is closer to home and has no traffic. I'd fly into CRK all the time if it wasn't so expensive. Honestly, It sucks that my government pours so much money into NAIA. I hate that GD airport.
If I had the choice I would pay a premium to fly into CRK. Only issue is that most of my visits are around Alabang.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 4:32 pm

Programs: Cathay Diamond and Singapore Gold
Heard that MNL will open at 1200LT time today, 18aug. All the best to those traveling.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 5:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Thanks. Looks like a bad crash
Originally Posted by cartman7110
Old Aug 17, 2018, 7:46 pm

Programs: CX Life Time,TG,
Manila has only one runway for large aircraft. Cathay has up to 7 flights per day. So where is their contingency plan for closure of this single runway? i thought that the reorganisation was meant to make them nimble and able to react speedily to unforeseen events. Clearly that is all Hoggwash.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 7:48 pm

Programs: MPCGO
Looks like runway 6-24 should open today as:

https://www.rappler.com/nation/20983...august-18-2018
Old Aug 17, 2018, 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by TomYoung
Manila has only one runway for large aircraft. Cathay has up to 7 flights per day. So where is their contingency plan for closure of this single runway? i thought that the reorganisation was meant to make them nimble and able to react speedily to unforeseen events. Clearly that is all Hoggwash.
that 7 flights day makes CX the third biggest operator at MNL.... how many narrow bodies would CX have to take out if the PRC network to serve a nation that has incompetent infrastructure?
Old Aug 17, 2018, 8:38 pm
Original Poster

Location: Vancouver, Manila, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Hong Kong
Programs: CX-DM, Marriott Gold, Fairmont Premier
Originally Posted by tentseller
if it is that important, think outside the box. CX or KA is not the only airline that can get you out at CRK.
Already tried all possible options. Fiancee and I had a lot of time to call the airlines while waiting in line yesterday lol.

I'm tentatively on the first flight out tomorrow with CX,
Old Aug 17, 2018, 11:02 pm

Originally Posted by TomYoung
If it's gonna close for 2 weeks they might do something (be it sending narrowbody in or using CRK) but for 2 days I don't think they would want to spread the hit to other parts of the network, just pretend there is a typhoon and send in larger regional aircrafts later on to carry affected passengers later on would be their strategy.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 11:27 pm

I would like to have seen CX a bit more proactive here. Okay the main runway is closed, but the smaller 13/31 is being used by narrowbodies.

why not send CX777s to Clark or send KA A320s to Manila?
blum81 and HarbourGent like this.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 2:21 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
All ur customers is in mnl
you can organizetransport to move thousands of pax to another airport plus luggage?
windchaser777 likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 2:38 am

Programs: Qantas (Lifetime Gold), PAL (Elite), British Airways (now sadly blue), Cathay MPO DM
Thanks for posting this here. I'm flying to MNL on Monday just for a day-trip so if there are still disruptions it will be an issue. I will keep an eye on the website.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 5:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bhyq
I would like to have seen CX a bit more proactive here. Okay the main runway is closed, but the smaller 13/31 is being used by narrowbodies.

why not send CX777s to Clark or send KA A320s to Manila?
Originally Posted by kaka
All ur customers is in mnl
you can organizetransport to move thousands of pax to another airport plus luggage?
The sending of MNL bound 777, 350 to CRK in the air is the easy part.

The almost impossible is organizing a last minutm move of thousands of pax plus luggage from MNL to CRK with Filipino infrastructure, bureaucracy and traffic.
kaka likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 6:33 am

Programs: TK*G
delete please

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.