CX re-accomodation to QF

Old Aug 14, 18, 10:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA: EXPLT, BD: SILVER, GOLDPOINTS+: SILVER, MARRIOTT: SILVER, ICH: RA
CX re-accomodation to QF

I have a booking for 5 of us from LHR- HKG for a few nights before HKG-SYD.

We had booked CX111 as it arrives at 7am and we have a cruise booked leaving in the afternoon. It give us the benefit of CX161 leaving a couple of hours later incase of a long delay to 111.

CX111 has now been cancelled and we've been moved to CX161. This is far from ideal as it arrives later in the morning and in the event of irrops we'll be in trouble.

The only earlier CX service is in the morning and arrives in SYD the night before - I was deliberately trying to avoid that as I don't want to be getting three kids and all our luggage to a hotel for the night then back to the ship the following morning.

There is a QF flight, QF128 that leaves around the same time as CX111 was scheduled. Is it unreasonable to ask that we be re-accommodated on the Qantas flight?
Old Aug 14, 18, 11:27 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Depends
Not much chance Cathay Cancelled Flight - Refusing to Refund.......

While it is not high on on-time performance (65%) the average delay isn't much (33 min)

Last edited by percysmith; Aug 14, 18 at 11:35 am
Old Aug 14, 18, 5:54 pm

Programs: VA Silver, QF FF, Priority Club
Basically none.

Even if if they do, if QF128 is cancelled QF118 arrives SYD even later than CX162 if you can get on it. They might just hold you in HKG for another day.

With CX with possibilities of spare aircraft itís unlikely you will have to stay an extra night in HKG which is even more fatal.

Plenty of hotels near cruise terminals - canít see the issue to be honest and a more restful sleep for the kids.

Old Aug 14, 18, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Very easy to go to Circular Quay from SYD. Cruise Terminal is closer to The Rock portion of the Circular Quay. There are many hotels to choose from - Upscale Park Hyatt or middle of the road Holiday Inn, plus many local hotels in between.
You would be far better off to take the flight and arrive a night before.
Old Aug 14, 18, 8:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by circusboy View Post
I have a booking for 5 of us from LHR- HKG for a few nights before HKG-SYD.

We had booked CX111 as it arrives at 7am and we have a cruise booked leaving in the afternoon. It give us the benefit of CX161 leaving a couple of hours later incase of a long delay to 111.

CX111 has now been cancelled and we've been moved to CX161. This is far from ideal as it arrives later in the morning and in the event of irrops we'll be in trouble.

The only earlier CX service is in the morning and arrives in SYD the night before - I was deliberately trying to avoid that as I don't want to be getting three kids and all our luggage to a hotel for the night then back to the ship the following morning.

There is a QF flight, QF128 that leaves around the same time as CX111 was scheduled. Is it unreasonable to ask that we be re-accommodated on the Qantas flight?
tell them you have a dying relative in sydney waiting for u all
Old Aug 14, 18, 9:28 pm

Programs: CX, SQ, BA Silver
If you are staying in HK for a few nights before your HKG-SYD flights then your actual probability of the CX161 plane going tech is very very low. Do you have any status?

In any case, there is still CX101 afterwards that will still get you into SYD by midday (ferry terminal is 30mins from the airport) if you feel more at ease knowing there are further fallback options.

Like others have said, CX are unlikely to rebook you onto QF unless you can persuade them you have an appointment in the morning that's dependent on the flight timing of CX111. If you have status that may help as CX become a little more flexible.
Old Aug 14, 18, 10:14 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Depends
Originally Posted by JeCCo View Post
unless you can persuade them you have an appointment in the morning that's dependent on the flight timing of CX111
I don't think even that helps. It will be as if you've self-connected.
Old Aug 14, 18, 10:18 pm

Programs: QF Emerald. CX Nobody
zero chance they reaccomodate you. thats what "non endorsable" condition means. if this was IRROPS maybe, but preannounced change you got no chance

fly the night before. do u really want to miss cruise departure for sake of 1 night hotel?
Old Aug 14, 18, 10:41 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Asia Miles Air China
Originally Posted by fakecd View Post
zero chance they reaccomodate you. thats what "non endorsable" condition means. if this was IRROPS maybe, but preannounced change you got no chance

fly the night before. do u really want to miss cruise departure for sake of 1 night hotel?
Good advice.
Old Aug 14, 18, 11:13 pm
sxc
Moderator, Cathay Pacific
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Gold, Hyatt Glob
How far ahead is this CX111 flight? I’m very surprised they would cancel this far in advance as it is their original flight that also accepts all the UK transit passengers.

Is is it a sign of pilot shortages and/or really low forward bookings?
Old Aug 14, 18, 11:35 pm

Programs: CX, SQ, BA Silver
Originally Posted by sxc View Post
How far ahead is this CX111 flight? Iím very surprised they would cancel this far in advance as it is their original flight that also accepts all the UK transit passengers.

Is is it a sign of pilot shortages and/or really low forward bookings?
In the past CX would cancel CX161 during off-peak times due to low bookings but rarely ever CX111. From my own personal experience taking these flights over the years, CX111 always had higher loadings and was often full / oversold while CX161 was less full / easier to find last minute redemptions in all classes.

Perhaps the recent (re)introduction of VA onto the route has had an impact.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: