Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Possibility to have 2 tickets on the same flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2018, 7:20 am
Original Poster

I wonder if it is possible to have 2 tickets of the same person issued on the same flight? For example, if I already have redeemed a business class ticket and then later on award space for first class open up. Would I be able to issue another ticket in first class on the same flight?
If so, what happens when you check in? Do you get to choose which ticket you want to use?
Old Aug 10, 2018, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by focusonskills
If so, what happens when you check in? Do you get to choose which ticket you want to use?
But why would you do that? If you don't cancel the J ticket and use the F one instead, won't those miles (for the J ticket) go to waste, you then being a no-show in J?
Old Aug 10, 2018, 7:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
But why would you do that? If you don't cancel the J ticket and use the F one instead, won't those miles (for the J ticket) go to waste, you then being a no-show in J?
I could save the J ticket for future flight by rebooking within validity of the the ticket. Worst case I could refund the ticket for $120/12000AM if I don't have the chance to use it.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 11:25 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
I could save the J ticket for future flight by rebooking within validity of the the ticket. Worst case I could refund the ticket for $120/12000AM if I don't have the chance to use it.
this is correct
that too
Old Aug 11, 2018, 4:03 am

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
I wonder if it is possible to have 2 tickets of the same person issued on the same flight? For example, if I already have redeemed a business class ticket and then later on award space for first class open up. Would I be able to issue another ticket in first class on the same flight?
From my experience is that there is no limitation of the number of tickets you can have for one flight. Especially if they were in different class, just tell the check in agent which one you're checking. I've done checking in the one that I did online check in with, and later changed the unwanted one.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 7:23 am
Uli

I frequently book 2 seat with CX to have an empty seat next to me -- this no problem, the 2nd ticket is marked as "extra seat", and I only get miles for the seat I am sitting on
Old Aug 11, 2018, 7:48 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by Uli
I frequently book 2 seat with CX to have an empty seat next to me -- this no problem, the 2nd ticket is marked as "extra seat", and I only get miles for the seat I am sitting on
I think that's a different scenario. These bookings have a notation, as you said, that the extra seat is not occupied by a different person. OP is talking about having two different seats booked in two different cabins.

My answer to that is, as long as both are ticketed, CX can do nothing about it.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 12:20 am

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)
interesting that CX dont do anything about duplicate tickets?

QF will cancel one automatically... and are quite strict about it!
Old Aug 12, 2018, 3:48 am

Programs: Aadvantage Gold
If the flight is full you’re preventing someone else from getting a seat. And then the flight leaves with an empty seat that could potentially have been sold.

It’s a selfish thing to do.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 4:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Cassie55
If the flight is full you’re preventing someone else from getting a seat. And then the flight leaves with an empty seat that could potentially have been sold.

If the flight is full, wouldn't they be able to give the seat to someone else. They know there would only be one check in among the two tickets.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 6:49 am

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Cassie55

It is not selfish, airlines do oversell.
kaka likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 7:02 am

Programs: Aadvantage Gold
Originally Posted by Ausriver
It is not selfish, airlines do oversell.
CX rarely oversells J and never oversells F. Someone who may be holding a waitlist will not clear until one if those seats is released. And if that’s at check in, it’s too late.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 8:02 am

Programs: CX MPC
Originally Posted by ermen
interesting that CX dont do anything about duplicate tickets?
My experience on a couple of occasions is that there is something which alerts MPC/Asiamiles agents to conflicting bookings and they won't issue a second ticket on the same flight until the first one is cancelled. On one occasion I'd already ticketed my wife in PE on a flight when a J seat became available. I tried to go ahead and issue the J ticket (thinking I'd cancel the PE one a bit later) but MPC called back to say they'd noticed the "conflicting booking" and the PE reservation had to be cancelled before the J reservation could be ticketed.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 9:48 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by dgittings
My experience on a couple of occasions is that there is something which alerts MPC/Asiamiles agents to conflicting bookings and they won't issue a second ticket on the same flight until the first one is cancelled. On one occasion I'd already ticketed my wife in PE on a flight when a J seat became available. I tried to go ahead and issue the J ticket (thinking I'd cancel the PE one a bit later) but MPC called back to say they'd noticed the "conflicting booking" and the PE reservation had to be cancelled before the J reservation could be ticketed.
I've been caught out on this too for AM bookings. But they don't stop duplicate revenue bookings?
Old Aug 12, 2018, 8:03 pm

Programs: MP, BR
Originally Posted by Uli
I've always wondered about buying an empty seat next to mine. Also wonder if you have a higher chance of getting upgrades if Y is oversold (since you will be opening up 2 seats).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.