CX vs. BR in J, BKK-SFO

Old Aug 9, 2018, 1:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
CX vs. BR in J, BKK-SFO

I'm really torn here. BR is approx 10% more expensive. Flights are similarly timed. I could fly the 350 or the 77W on CX. BR is the 77W. Haven't flown CX in a while, have always enjoyed it, but a bit put off by all the reports of declines in food and service quality. CX wins on lounge at both BKK and HKG. On the other hand, recent flight on BR was possibly my best business class experience ever - really amazing service. CX would be better for mileage accrual, as I can credit to AS at 350% (vs. BR to UA at just 125%), though that's a relatively minor concern.

Thoughts?
Old Aug 9, 2018, 1:31 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
If the question is "Is BR longhaul J better than CX", that's not even a contest. BR wins in a landslide.

The biggest consideration I suppose is how sensitive you are to price, scheduling, and if the points / status credits matter a lot to you.

If you're comparing biz classes though, CX longhaul J is a very clear cut or two below BR these days.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 1:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by QRC3288
If you're comparing biz classes though, CX longhaul J is a very clear cut or two below BR these days.
Yeah, thanks, that's basically what I was wondering, whether CX has dropped that far.

So the question really is whether saving $200-400 US, plus better lounges, plus an additional 20k points, makes up for the lesser quality. I realize no one can answer that one for me but opinions are always welcome
kaka likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 2:05 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
is JAL/ANA an option? :P
200 probably isnt a lot in the grand scheme of things, but at this time and age for me, i would save the 200usd (for myself)
clubeurope likes this.

Last edited by kaka; Aug 10, 2018 at 1:55 am
Old Aug 9, 2018, 3:46 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Kacee
Yeah, thanks, that's basically what I was wondering, whether CX has dropped that far.

So the question really is whether saving $200-400 US, plus better lounges, plus an additional 20k points, makes up for the lesser quality. I realize no one can answer that one for me but opinions are always welcome
I would save the $200-$400 honestly, and take the additional points. Airline food is airline food, and with less than $200 you could have an excellent dinner on the ground before your flight. On board, just try to sleep. In my opinion, CX's duvet is excellent, and I find CX's seat to be amongst the better J seats for sleep.
Zacnlinc likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 4:58 am
Accor Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: CX MPC GO, IHG, OZ, NH (no longer UA MP*G thanks to SMJ)(no longer A3 *G due to COVID))
Kacee, i think you should pick BR since the price difference doesn't seem much. I have enough with not able to flag down a flight attendant becos they're too understaffed in CX.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 5:06 am

Programs: AA UA DL AS CXDM JL NH Hilton Hyatt Marriott SPG IHG
The key to the better J service in BR than CX, food aside, is 1) the number of FAs in J cabin and 2) FA's approach to non-status J pax. BR wins hands down if you are a non-status J pax. If you are an OWE, and you know how to make a request, then you'd be fine with CX J, again, food aside
HKGglobaltrotter and Yoshi212 like this.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 7:49 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Both CX and BR offer both lie flat and recliner seats on the BKK-TPE/HKG portions, make sure you book the right one.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 8:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kaka
is JAL/ANA an option? :P
No, it's a one-way fare, and theirs are considerably higher (NH/UA want literally $2k more!). Frequency and flight timing are also much less attractive.

Originally Posted by IluvSQ
Both CX and BR offer both lie flat and recliner seats on the BKK-TPE/HKG portions, make sure you book the right one.
Right. CX I could fly the 350, which I'm interested to try, despite the problems with interior quality control.

Last edited by Kacee; Aug 9, 2018 at 8:53 am
Old Aug 9, 2018, 9:57 am

Programs: OneWorld Emerald
Originally Posted by APeverell
If you are an OWE, and you know how to make a request, then you'd be fine with CX J, again, food aside
May I ask for you to elaborate?

Last edited by flying4workNfun; Aug 9, 2018 at 1:57 pm
Old Aug 9, 2018, 11:59 am

People tend to make relative calculations about cost. What I mean is that $200-400 (I assume you mean USD, not HKD) does not seem like much compared to the thousands you are spending on the ticket; but it seems absurd if you are buying, say, a chocolate bar. But in your bank account, $200 is always $200. If you are asking about it, you are not so rich that $200-400 is pocket change. You will not get $200-400 worth of extra service and better food. Save it for something really nice.
safari ari likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 1:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K, IHG Spire, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz P.C., GE/NEXUS
This would not even be a question for me, I'd pay up to 30% more for BR's J, which is essentially F-lite. While CX's J is more like lie-flat E+

BR's ++
1. Pyjamas
2. On-board Service
3. Rimowa kits
4. Food
5. Lounge in TPE

All of these BR has CX blown out of the water.

CX's ++

1. Lounge in HKG/BKK
2. OW points if you're OW, but you're UA MM according to your profile?
kaka likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 1:47 pm

I will go with EVA Air and just make sure that you book on one of those 77Ws flights, so you get the reverse herringbone seats.
EVA Air is basically an "upgraded" business class with a "Book the Cook" and pre-reserved main course services on both segments.
Amenities are much better with pajama and a nice amenity kit.
I will argue that even the meals on the BKK-TPE flights are much better than CX's meal service on the BKK-HKG flights!
The only thing that CX has but not Eva Air is that there is no "mid-flight snack" service from Taipei to West Coast flight, but there will be a hot mid-flight snack on the return segment.

Carfield
kaka likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 6:47 pm
Accor Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: CX MPC GO, IHG, OZ, NH (no longer UA MP*G thanks to SMJ)(no longer A3 *G due to COVID))
CX say "Life Well Travelled"....meaning you should fly BR.
jysim, frankyguy, kaka and 2 others like this.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 7:11 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by royng
CX say "Life Well Travelled"....meaning you should fly BR.
I can't help but chuckle at your response

Well, in regards to the OP's question, I think what is most important is what the OP really wants. Is the experience on the journey very important (food, amenity kits, pyjamas), or is the flatbed and points more important?

If food and the amenities are very important then BR crushes CX and wins by a long shot. I personally would take CX because I couldn't care less for rimowa kits and pyjamas (the latter of which I could bring one myself should I so wish), and personally I prefer the points and find CX's flatbed to be more than sufficient.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.