Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Discrepancy between online award search and phone agent's search

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2018, 7:41 am
Original Poster

I have a two-legged one way flight on hold for redemption. My place for the second leg has been reserved, but the first leg is currently on waitlist.

I've been searching on Asia miles' online award search, and today I found two flights available for the first leg, one of which was even the flight which I am currently on waitlist. I phoned Asia miles, but the agent told me that she couldn't find any availability on that date. She asked if I was looking at a choice award, and I triple checked that it is indeed a standard award (which I have been waitlisted for). But since she couldn't see the award space on her side, the flight couldn't be booked. It is possible for me to redeem that flight online, but that would obviously mean spending more miles by redeeming two different tickets instead of one.

What could have caused the discrepancy between my search and the agent's? Has anyone else experienced this before?
Old Aug 5, 2018, 7:47 am

Programs: CX GO, AC Aeroplan 25K, AMEX PLAT, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire Amb
Last week I was trying to book a trip to PER for the 3 of us and were debating between Q fare class versus M fare class for the return leg. I called in to MPC to enquire about upgrade availability to PEY and was told there are two seats available for upgrade.

We took the chance and I bought the ticket online and proceeded to request the upgrade for all 3 of us online, and surprisingly all 3 upgrades cleared right away. This was like 5mins after my call to MPC so I doubt within 5mins an extra T class seat was released. So somehow the MPC agent only saw 2 seats in T while online actually gave 3.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 12:28 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by etkuo
We took the chance and I bought the ticket online and proceeded to request the upgrade for all 3 of us online, and surprisingly all 3 upgrades cleared right away. This was like 5mins after my call to MPC so I doubt within 5mins an extra T class seat was released. So somehow the MPC agent only saw 2 seats in T while online actually gave 3.
Not surprised. I heard upgrades are cleared after waitlist. Maybe someone from revenue was quick to react when you put in upgrade request.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.