Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Bassinet swap causes angst for mother with triplets

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2018, 11:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)

so to summarise:-

1/ Dad + Mum travelling MAD-xHKG-DPS with triplets booked and reconfirmed PEY front rows to get (presumably 2 bassinets) + bought another seat for infant

2/ Equipment swap means this was messed up and seems like MAD ground staff didnt give them bassinets!! (
what the??)

3/ Dad was downgraded from PEY to Y!!!

4/ They claim to be GO / DM for yonks (but unclear on current status - highly doubht a GO / DM gets downgraded)

In any case, status aside, I feel for the Mum. not a great feeling preparing and re-preparing and to have this stunt pulled on you last minute. the only thing that may have saved her was setting up an EF alert for plane swap (like I used to do on intra-Asia routes when CX plays plane lottery and my wife had a bassinet seat pre-assigned). but my gripe is families that have pre-assigned bassinet get screwed by CX equipment swaps (more regional / less long haul admittedly).

What i also dont get is that MAD-HKG has been recently been operated by a 77W which presumably has the most number PEY ? why would a PEY pax get downgraded / seating assignments messed up unless change to A359 unless severely overbooked (but I dont see it on this route?)

also dont get the bit about airbags and seats. didnt know aircraft seats had airbags

anyway what can the mum do?

Old Aug 2, 2018, 1:16 pm

Is EC 261/2004 downgrade for dad due for ex MAD to DPS via HKG? Obviously it is a downgrade, but I doubt 75% compensation of HKG DPS segment is not a lot.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 6:23 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
The post seems to be missing information, or at least it's not clarified. Whether or not that's intentional I'm not sure. We live in a world these days where "information" isn't always honest in what it implies.

1.) Was it the MAD or DPS sector (or both) where an involuntary downgrade occurred? Obviously a MAD downgrade sucks way more than DPS, although something doesn't add up about an involuntary downgrade ex-MAD given equipment? Especially for GO or DM...
2.) Are they GO or DM now? The wording is weird "for years". GO or DM in the past is irrelevant, if that's the meaning. If they are GO and DM now, I really would like more information!
3.) Attempted offloading ("extract", I'm assuming this is their meaning). Huh? CX tried to but the pax ended up flying anyway? What did they convince CX to allow them to break the rules or something? This makes no sense. I have been on exactly three CX flights ever with an offloading. Out of hundreds. I know that number precisely because there isn't any ambiguity what the hell is going on. Offloading in my experience is not ambiguous; in two instances police came on board and the passenger was leaving whether he and she liked it or not.
4.) Refusal of bassinet seats -> this is BS on CX's part, but I would like more info because I've never heard of this before! Is it possible there were other infants with other passengers? Or was CX truly just being stupids?
5.) Triplets...awesome! No matter happened here what that's pretty damn cool.

Perhaps the post was made in a really frustrated state and info is missing / ambiguity is there. But before letting the mob loose on CX, which is the unfortunate (and often intended) side effects of everyone posting their opinion as fact these days, it would be good to get more details. I'm quite curious now.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 6:42 pm

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
Bassinets can only be used after take off right? So someone needs to hold the infant during that time? I'm not sure if a parent can hold 2 of the triplets while the other holds 1.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 6:45 pm

B-KPQ operated a flight last July 28...from 77G to 77H, but that would mean they would have more J seats and even F seats could be open...doesn't make sense that they would downgrade a PEY Passenger to EY, and not just upgrade someone to J.

But KPQ has been refitted already...the photo I saw was the old seats in EY...so that doesn't make sense

So it would be a toss between 77G or 77K both have the same number of seats in PEY....

Last edited by FlyPointyEnd; Aug 2, 2018 at 6:51 pm
Old Aug 2, 2018, 6:46 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by FlyPointyEnd
Bassinets can only be used after take off right? So someone needs to hold the infant during that time? I'm not sure if a parent can hold 2 of the triplets while the other holds 1.
I see, thanks for the clarification.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 8:45 pm

Programs: Lowly CX & IHG
77H/A has 2 more PEY seats (34 vs 32) than 77G/K too, and CX no longer has hard shell for 77W. Thus unlikely MAD-HKG needs downgrade PEY. However it seems DPS has been using regional 772/773 recently, so having no PEY on the second leg is likely as early as it's ticketed? Maybe they are reassigned between J and Y last minute or they did not notice the ticketed cabin for HKG-DPS. Either way even one sector not having baby bassinets should not directly imply the other sector doesn't, as they operate independently.

Airbag should be at the bulk on the seatbelt. Per CX: Car safety seat "Car safety seats are unable to install on selected seats as those seats are equipped with airbag seat belt" and that installing car safety seat is not available on 73Z J/Y and 772J seats. Lost in communication upon the confirmation of using car seat?

Yes.
I think one infant per adult, so the third one gets its own seat (and car seat). >> Travelling with Children - Infants > Travelling with two infants or more
Also baby bassinets needs to be specifically requested ("Please make the request for a baby bassinet at the time of reservation") in addition to being assigned to the seat next to bassinets.

Last edited by watery; Aug 2, 2018 at 8:56 pm Reason: car safety seat supplement
Old Aug 2, 2018, 11:29 pm

Originally Posted by watery
77H/A has 2 more PEY seats (34 vs 32) than 77G/K too, and CX no longer has hard shell for 77W. Thus unlikely MAD-HKG needs downgrade PEY. However it seems DPS has been using regional 772/773 recently, so having no PEY on the second leg is likely as early as it's ticketed? Maybe they are reassigned between J and Y last minute or they did not notice the ticketed cabin for HKG-DPS. Either way even one sector not having baby bassinets should not directly imply the other sector doesn't, as they operate independently.
DPS is one of those guaranteed regional routes right? Anyway I find it quite odd that the lady said that CX refused to give them "bassinet seats (20hrs journey)" to somewhat allude that it was for both sectors.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 11:54 pm

Each to their own and I sympathise with the feeling of frustration, but I don't bother with "destination weddings" on my own to avoid the sort of planning difficulties and travel hiccoughs which invariably go with them. Heading to one across the world with three babies in tow is dare I say asking for trouble.
kaka likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 2:11 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by cheung.chunyuenc
Is EC 261/2004 downgrade for dad due for ex MAD to DPS via HKG? Obviously it is a downgrade, but I doubt 75% compensation of HKG DPS segment is not a lot.
seems the downgrade is at MADHKG for the least. so 75% compensation
Old Aug 3, 2018, 2:12 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ermen
so to summarise:-

1/ Dad + Mum travelling MAD-xHKG-DPS with triplets booked and reconfirmed PEY front rows to get (presumably 2 bassinets) + bought another seat for infant

2/ Equipment swap means this was messed up and seems like MAD ground staff didnt give them bassinets!! (
what the??)

3/ Dad was downgraded from PEY to Y!!!

4/ They claim to be GO / DM for yonks (but unclear on current status - highly doubht a GO / DM gets downgraded)

In any case, status aside, I feel for the Mum. not a great feeling preparing and re-preparing and to have this stunt pulled on you last minute. the only thing that may have saved her was setting up an EF alert for plane swap (like I used to do on intra-Asia routes when CX plays plane lottery and my wife had a bassinet seat pre-assigned). but my gripe is families that have pre-assigned bassinet get screwed by CX equipment swaps (more regional / less long haul admittedly).

What i also dont get is that MAD-HKG has been recently been operated by a 77W which presumably has the most number PEY ? why would a PEY pax get downgraded / seating assignments messed up unless change to A359 unless severely overbooked (but I dont see it on this route?)

also dont get the bit about airbags and seats. didnt know aircraft seats had airbags

anyway what can the mum do?

franco state. ha!
well, sue CX at small claims.

DPS is one of those guaranteed regional routes right? Anyway I find it quite odd that the lady said that CX refused to give them "bassinet seats (20hrs journey)" to somewhat allude that it was for both sectors.
MAD making up rules. are they CX staff or outsourced? I've only arrived into MAD and didnt seem like they are CX staff...
Old Aug 3, 2018, 5:44 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by kaka
MAD making up rules. are they CX staff or outsourced? I've only arrived into MAD and didnt seem like they are CX staff...
CX own

https://flight-report.com/en/report/...-Hong-Kong-HKG

https://en.tripadvisor.com.hk/ShowUs...fic-World.html

Don't get the equipment swap claim - MAD-HKG is pretty rigidly 77G (only to 77H), HKG-DPS is pretty rigidly 77Z
Old Aug 3, 2018, 5:51 am

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
I don't know why would CX had to pick the father of 3 infants to downgrade. Unless every single of other PEY pax were elites?

My ex-girlfriend were downgraded once from PEY, SYD-HKG, offer AUD $700 and an upgrade voucher. So when PEY's over sold and J was full, downgrade does happen, however should be offered as an option, not forced the particular pax needed that PEY seat the most.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 11:17 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by percysmith
CX own

https://flight-report.com/en/report/...-Hong-Kong-HKG

https://en.tripadvisor.com.hk/ShowUs...fic-World.html

Don't get the equipment swap claim - MAD-HKG is pretty rigidly 77G (only to 77H), HKG-DPS is pretty rigidly 77Z
tbh im not so convinced. I flew w the first bcnhkg crew (who flew into mad) but their encounter w the local staff was quite... cold.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Well, this is the rare instance where the rest of the PE cabin was thankful for the equipment swap. Equipment swaps are usually a negative condition, but not in this case.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.