Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Crowded Lounges at HKG

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2018, 12:04 pm
Original Poster

Crowded Lounges at HKG

Anyone else find the lounges pretty crowded these days in HKG? Obviously it's time of day dependent but last few times I found the Deck just packed to the brim with no seats. This has been a similar experience at the Wing and the Pier. I'm finding myself just going straight to the QF lounge as it's actually relaxing and I don't have to feel like I'm fighting for space like I'm at dim sum.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 7:13 pm

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by LoveHateRelationship
Anyone else find the lounges pretty crowded these days in HKG? Obviously it's time of day dependent but last few times I found the Deck just packed to the brim with no seats. This has been a similar experience at the Wing and the Pier. I'm finding myself just going straight to the QF lounge as it's actually relaxing and I don't have to feel like I'm fighting for space like I'm at dim sum.
The Deck is the smallest and it would naturally be crowded. I think the capacity is only 180 guests, which is about 4 full business class cabins on a 773. CX also lost seats when they closed The Cabin and I think The Cabin can sit more than The Deck.
royng likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 8:12 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by LoveHateRelationship
Originally Posted by FlyPointyEnd
The Deck is the smallest and it would naturally be crowded. I think the capacity is only 180 guests, which is about 4 full business class cabins on a 773. CX also lost seats when they closed The Cabin and I think The Cabin can sit more than The Deck.
One thing is clear to me: The Deck is definitely overcrowded. Too small. I can't imagine it helped things thatThe Cabin closed. The Cabin was larger than The Deck and was still packed...and then The Cabin closed, to be "replaced" roughly by The Deck. Maybe CX thought more people wouldn't make the trek, or they just had to make do with the space they had. No matter what it was I'm not surprised at the result. The Deck is a "no thanks I'll avoid" lounge for me.

Fyi, CX and KA also are now using gates 16-18 throughout most of the day, plus low 20s gates, gates 1-4, Dragon Island+remote gates (gates 500+), all which are gates to reasonably assume provide passengers using The Deck. And JAL frequently uses Gates 15-16 too.

The Deck layout is nice in theory. But too many people make it irrelevant for me. Small size means my 3 visits there are more than enough. My go-to move is QF lounge, over every other CX lounge (including F lounges) unless I'm departing from 60+. The food is just not good in the F lounges these days. Or I just eat at home or grab something in IFC before if I have time. I'm sure CX still impresses the people who fly through HKG less often. But if HKIA is a weekly affair like it is for me, I find it hard to see anything except downgrades in varying forms for these lounges since they open. Pier F opened when, mid-2015? I remember thinking it was spectacular. Since then I can't think of any way it has improved, but many ways it has gotten significantly worse. It's like a big bang at the opening and then just successive cuts and cuts which are very noticeable if you're a highly frequent user.

I won't comment on the rest.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 1:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
It is not my intent to single out the SLs.

However, given the CX's generosity to low tiered elites, I would have to say this is a regular occurrence.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 1:32 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by QRC3288
One thing is clear to me: The Deck is definitely overcrowded. Too small. I can't imagine it helped things thatThe Cabin closed. The Cabin was larger than The Deck and was still packed...and then The Cabin closed, to be "replaced" roughly by The Deck. Maybe CX thought more people wouldn't make the trek, or they just had to make do with the space they had. No matter what it was I'm not surprised at the result. The Deck is a "no thanks I'll avoid" lounge for me.

Fyi, CX and KA also are now using gates 16-18 throughout most of the day, plus low 20s gates, gates 1-4, Dragon Island+remote gates (gates 500+), all which are gates to reasonably assume provide passengers using The Deck. And JAL frequently uses Gates 15-16 too.

The Deck layout is nice in theory. But too many people make it irrelevant for me. Small size means my 3 visits there are more than enough. My go-to move is QF lounge, over every other CX lounge (including F lounges) unless I'm departing from 60+. The food is just not good in the F lounges these days. Or I just eat at home or grab something in IFC before if I have time. I'm sure CX still impresses the people who fly through HKG less often. But if HKIA is a weekly affair like it is for me, I find it hard to see anything except downgrades in varying forms for these lounges since they open. Pier F opened when, mid-2015? I remember thinking it was spectacular. Since then I can't think of any way it has improved, but many ways it has gotten significantly worse. It's like a big bang at the opening and then just successive cuts and cuts which are very noticeable if you're a highly frequent user.

I won't comment on the rest.
one would be rathered disturbed to use/stay at the Deck whilst flying JL.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 2:18 am

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
How long before this turns into another OWS/OWE/AS/AA-bashing thread?
Old Aug 1, 2018, 2:40 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by SilverChris
I don't think it applies. The Deck, by any standard is just very small. CX allows its own Silver members access to J class lounges. That alone should be enough to keep that debate away from here.

Plus, CX closed The Cabin closeby, which itself was bigger.

And CX continues to add capacity....

I definitely don't see The Deck's issues in the same light. I see it more similar to the problem of The Arrival.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 3:06 am

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)
haha
i think given that people now want to use the QF lounge, we should be thankful that CX is part of OW
Old Aug 1, 2018, 4:18 am

Programs: Marco Polo Club, KF
One thing that has genuinely surprised me having fairly recently moved most travel to CX from a competitor and transitioned from GO to DM is just how crowded the HKG F lounges can be at peak periods (eg. around midnight) to the point where, in combination with inappropriate lounge behaviour by some pax, the experience is not at all pleasant. Haven't tried QF at these times but will do so.
HarbourGent and HaikalS like this.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 5:22 am

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)
so am in the QF lounge given my flight is departing low gate.
red braised pork rice + mushrooms, charsiew, and little creatures on tap! not bad at all!

never been to Deck. maybe go check it out later!

fakecd likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 8:09 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Arbeysix
One thing that has genuinely surprised me having fairly recently moved most travel to CX from a competitor and transitioned from GO to DM is just how crowded the HKG F lounges can be at peak periods (eg. around midnight) to the point where, in combination with inappropriate lounge behaviour by some pax, the experience is not at all pleasant. Haven't tried QF at these times but will do so.
its been this way for a year or 2 already. Ure surprised now?!
Old Aug 1, 2018, 8:32 am

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by kaka

its been this way for a year or 2 already. Ure surprised now?!
Much longer than 2 years. It was like that for some years when I was still a DM. I was usually in Wing F waiting for CX872 to SFO around midnight. Wing F was usually very crowded until departure for a LHR flight, Then it became quite empty.
kaka likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 7:33 pm

Programs: CX DM, BA Gold
Originally Posted by cxfan1960
Much longer than 2 years. It was like that for some years when I was still a DM. I was usually in Wing F waiting for CX872 to SFO around midnight. Wing F was usually very crowded until departure for a LHR flight, Then it became quite empty.
And morning rush hours. You can always spot a queue for the dining area.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 9:31 am
Original Poster

I would imagine this will turn into a SL bashing thread first

The OWS/OWE can choose to go to the QF lounge. As a CX GO, going to the QF lounge costs CX money. That's on them if they aren't building enough capacity and I choose to go somewhere else.

Originally Posted by ermen
so am in the QF lounge given my flight is departing low gate.
red braised pork rice + mushrooms, charsiew, and little creatures on tap! not bad at all!

never been to Deck. maybe go check it out later!
It's so much quieter in the QF lounge! If you do check out the Deck though, keep in mind it's a real pain to get back into the QF lounge since the doorway between the two lounges is exit only for QF. You need to walk back towards the main shopping area downstairs then come back up.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 7:38 pm

99% of the time, I'll skip Bridge/Deck, and head straight to the Pier. Even though my next flight takes off from the other end. The Pier - to me - is always worth the brisk walk over (caveat: if my next flight takes off from the other end of the building, with <1hr left, then I'll obviously head to the closest lounge to the gate).

I find the Pier does tend to get crowded in the mid mornings and late aftns, but even at peak crowd capacity, it doesn't feel like a coffee shop. I can still find a seat most times, even if that means circling the lounge like a hungry vulture.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.