Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A350 and CX and EC261

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2018, 12:32 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by 1010101
It's been fairly well established through court cases that faults are only covered if they are within the normal course of maintenance and aircraft operation. Hydraulic faults on a brand new type is probably outside that, and you'd need deep pockets to be the one to test it out.
I don't think that is quite correct. I know Finnair lost a case in court where the court said that an air condition leak issue (I believe it was a new aircraft also) is not an extraordinary fault and made Finnair pay the 600 euros (and I think about two hundred thousand euros of the other guys lawyer fees). The consumer advisory board in Finland also states that on most cases technical faults have to be covered by the airline.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 12:47 am

It's been fairly well established through court cases that faults are only covered if they are within the normal course of maintenance and aircraft operation. Hydraulic faults on a brand new type is probably outside that, and you'd need deep pockets to be the one to test it out.
I've never heard of this happening. How does the court determine that a fault is within the normal course of maintenance on a new aircraft, vs a fault that is because its a new type?

Can you cite some previous examples?

I just think every airline would be using this get out clause for any fault, on any aircraft under the age of 2 years if it was allowed!
Old Aug 3, 2018, 12:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SAN_Finn
I don't think that is quite correct. I know Finnair lost a case in court where the court said that an air condition leak issue (I believe it was a new aircraft also) is not an extraordinary fault and made Finnair pay the 600 euros (and I think about two hundred thousand euros of the other guys lawyer fees). The consumer advisory board in Finland also states that on most cases technical faults have to be covered by the airline.
I thinks Bird strike/hail strike can opt out EC261 case, others technical problem should under EC261.

https://pointstobemade.boardingarea....ecj-klm-ec261/
Old Aug 3, 2018, 11:29 am

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
Extraordinary technical faults are not covered by EU261 beyond the basic duty of care.
Nonsense. Wallentin-Herman yielded the notion that technical issues are not deemed extraordinary circumstances. It is an inherent part of airline operations and thus compensation is due. Cathay can take it up with Airbus afterwards.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by SAN_Finn
Its not whether its a standard fault on a new aircraft, its whether its a manufacturing fault that has only just shown itself for the first time. Ultimately its up to the passenger to test it which airlines know most wont.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 2:13 pm

Programs: CX GO, AC Aeroplan 25K, AMEX PLAT, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire Amb
Originally Posted by andy1022
In my experience, they will credit you based on the original flight schedule.
Originally Posted by ernestnywang
You can credit based on original routing if it suits you better. However, if the new route earns more miles and MPO points, one should be able to get that.
Just a quick update. I ended up getting the new route credits. MEL-HKG was credited (instead of the original PER-HKG) 2 days after the flight, and today I just got the credit (CP+AM) for the QF PER-MEL.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 2:43 am

Originally Posted by KLflyerRalph
Nonsense. Wallentin-Herman yielded the notion that technical issues are not deemed extraordinary circumstances. It is an inherent part of airline operations and thus compensation is due. Cathay can take it up with Airbus afterwards.
As i already said, it depends on the issue. Issues within normal airline operations do not count but extraordinary issues outside the control of the airline do. See the Rolls Royce 787 problems.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 3:54 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
See the Rolls Royce 787 problems.
Was Rolls Royce 787 decided one way or another? I don't mean BA bleating on their top of the lungs that it is extraordinary circumstances, I mean a court or regulator saying that it is or not.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 4:28 am

Originally Posted by percysmith

Was Rolls Royce 787 decided one way or another? I don't mean BA bleating on their top of the lungs that it is extraordinary circumstances, I mean a court or regulator saying that it is or not.
The CEDR are rejecting claims but i don't think anyone has taken the court route to decide once and for all. BA would almost certainly pay up to stop it getting that far.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 4:35 am

The CEDR are rejecting claims but i don't think anyone has taken the court route to decide once and for all.
Thanks. Any post with data point?
Old Aug 9, 2018, 5:10 am

Thanks. Any post with data point?
There is a whole thread about it on the BA forum - The 2018 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

If you search through it you can see compensation is being rejected by the independent adjudicator CEDR but nobody has taken it far enough yet to get a binding court decision.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 8:16 am

There is a whole thread about it on the BA forum - The 2018 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

If you search through it you can see compensation is being rejected by the independent adjudicator CEDR but nobody has taken it far enough yet to get a binding court decision.
who got rejected? RbAA's case hasn't been decided yet https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...l#post30000039

you may be right but I'm just curious to see it.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 8:35 am

who got rejected? RbAA's case hasn't been decided yet https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...l#post30000039

you may be right but I'm just curious to see it.
The 2018 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Really, nobody knows. BA are rejecting them, the CEDR seem to be rejecting them, and no-one knows what a court will say and perhaps never will because BA would certainly settle before anyone took it that far.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.