Search

Anyone here flown YVR-JFK with CX?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2018, 4:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Anyone here flown YVR-JFK with CX?

It's been a long time since I flown with CX on this route. Most airlines that flies within North America charge baggage fees. CX888 flies from YVR-JFK and CX865 flies from JFK-YVR. Does any of the flight charge baggage fees?

Thanks.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 5:20 am

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
Originally Posted by lsquare
Does any of the flight charge baggage fees?
No. CX is not a North American airline.

Food and drinks are included too, in case there’s any doubt.
lsquare, fakecd, fairhsa and 2 others like this.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 6:20 pm

Programs: CX

The answer to this could have been easily found on CX.com within 1 minute.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 7:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

This is the first I've heard of 889 being renumbered 865. Do any of you guys know why they made this change?
lsquare likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by moondog
This is the first I've heard of 889 being renumbered 865. Do any of you guys know why they made this change?
CX899 from Newark arrives in HKG @ a relatively similar time (could be confusing on ATC). CX889 is a flagship route/callsign though, not sure why they didn't change the Newark callsign to 891 (HKG-EWR is 890).
Old Jul 21, 2018, 8:00 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
It changed a while back, there's a thread buried somewhere.

The guys upthread are roughly right, but there's more to it. The change was indeed made due to ATC concerns; specifically, the problem isn't EWR, but the combination of "89" for flight numbers, particularly CX. Too many landing at HKG at the same time. Not too much before the CX889->CX865 change, CX893 was changed to CX851.

I'm not totally privy to why CX889 + CX893 were changed and not other two, but prior to this change, within a 2 hour window (and potentially back to back to back to back) all of the following arrived: CX289, CX899, CX889, and CX893.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 9:48 pm

On top of that 888 and 889 passed each other every night between JFK & YVR respectively. Definitely ATC driven, and probably a combination of both.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 2:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Since you guys seem to fly this often, I'm just wondering what is the lowest price you've seen for roundtrip YVR-JFK? The price is quite competitive with what AC and WS are offering to NYC, but direct instead of changing flight in YYZ. Which program are you crediting this flight to?
Old Jul 22, 2018, 5:37 pm

Location: JFK 🇺🇸 (mostly); YVR 🇨🇦 (a bit less); HKG 🇭🇰 (even less)
Programs: Marco Polo GR 😂😂; HHonors Gold; Ritz Carlton Gold
lowest price for full fare J was 2600 via the international airline program from AMEX vs 5k+ on the CX website (usd) which is similar to discounted J on CX's website when available

round trip in A fare F class is usually around 3700, well below full fare Y which tends to be ~6k

PEY I've seen 900ish and Y I think around 450-550

AC also has a direct to EWR on the B788
Old Jan 23, 2019, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
A bit off the current thread subject matter but...

I've flown YVR-JFK in F on this flight (and JFK-YVR in J) but the former (twice) was three years ago. At the time we got the full F treatment, including dinner, amenity kit and PJs. Given CX's financial cutbacks, are amenity kits and PJs still offered in F in both directions, or just the overnight YVR-JFK flight?
Old Jan 23, 2019, 9:39 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Originally Posted by Shareholder

I've flown YVR-JFK in F on this flight (and JFK-YVR in J) but the former (twice) was three years ago. At the time we got the full F treatment, including dinner, amenity kit and PJs. Given CX's financial cutbacks, are amenity kits and PJs still offered in F in both directions, or just the overnight YVR-JFK flight?
There's nothing that you have to worry about for what you mentioned except there won't be caviar
Old Jan 23, 2019, 11:01 pm

The westbound flight is my favourite within North America, but I am not a fan of the eastbound flight because I usually sleep through most of the service, and arriving in jfk during the morning rush hour sucks.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 11:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Shareholder

Is F even worth it for such a short flight?
Old Jan 23, 2019, 11:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

The westbound flight is my favourite within North America, but I am not a fan of the eastbound flight because I usually sleep through most of the service, and arriving in jfk during the morning rush hour sucks.
Why not? It saves time. Sure I arrive a little tired, but that's because I would fly economy and get less than 8 hours of sleep. The only problem is that I might not be able to check-in early at the hotel.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 1:20 am

Originally Posted by lsquare
Is F even worth it for such a short flight?
I would gladly part with 35k AS miles for F in either direction.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.