Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Seattle - from March 2019 4x weekly

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2019, 8:47 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Amex Platinum
Not surprised. I'd say the flight will become daily very soon.
AS wants to replace DL to become the dominant "home" carrier of SEA by bringing in slew of international airlines they partner with.
JL recently opened NRT-SEA as well.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 10:30 pm

Programs: CX DM, SQ KFG, Marriott Plat, AccorG
Flew HKG-SEA just last week. Shocked that the immigration line for foreigners w visas took 1hr 22mins. (Digital clock in area, so one could count the minutes!) Thought that LAX was the worst U.S. entry point -- last December it took 1hr 5mins which I thought was already bad. This was longer. The problem is the arrival time is right after two flights from Mexico, and there were only 4 officers assigned. Anyway, FYI.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 11:12 pm

No automated clearance machines at SEA? Hong Kong passports are biometric so should work on the automated channels.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 1:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by hkskyline
No automated clearance machines at SEA? Hong Kong passports are biometric so should work on the automated channels.
What automated channel? This is the US we are talking about. Even with Global Entry (Nexus) or CBP Mobile app, you still need to see a CBP officer. Passport scanner only works for visa waiver countries and people who have used an e-visa on a previous entry on the same passport.

IIRC, SEA entry for GE or CBP app users are very fast even at the morning rush of multiple Asian arrivals.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by SilverChris
Supper then breakfast.

I sometimes ask for a snack rather than a breakfast main because I think it’s weird to have eggs or dim sum at 7pm local time.
thanks for confirming my fear! 😂
Old Dec 1, 2019, 8:31 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
Just flew HKG-SEA yesterday in business class. Amen to finally having a Cathay flight directly into our hometown, years past we used them to YVR (then drove down to Seattle) or SFO/LAX w a connecting flight.

Family of 5, we had most of the minicabin and had a hard time getting attention once we woke. Really had to hit call button for anything. FAs were only staying up in the front cabin. Oh well, need to know that for the next flight later this month out to HKG.

We were on the ground at 7pm, through Global Entry by 7:10pm and in our car driving home by 7:35pm. Love that kind of timing.

The A350 seats are nice and the bedding comfy so we all slept well. One of my sons was so wiped out from our vacation that he slept 10 of the 12 hours of the flight.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 10:08 am

Programs: AS MVPG, CX MPCS
Originally Posted by stephem
Just flew HKG-SEA yesterday in business class. Amen to finally having a Cathay flight directly into our hometown, years past we used them to YVR (then drove down to Seattle) or SFO/LAX w a connecting flight.

Family of 5, we had most of the minicabin and had a hard time getting attention once we woke. Really had to hit call button for anything. FAs were only staying up in the front cabin. Oh well, need to know that for the next flight later this month out to HKG.

We were on the ground at 7pm, through Global Entry by 7:10pm and in our car driving home by 7:35pm. Love that kind of timing.

The A350 seats are nice and the bedding comfy so we all slept well. One of my sons was so wiped out from our vacation that he slept 10 of the 12 hours of the flight.
Did you return to SEA on 11/30 or 11/29? I may have been on your flight

I sat in 15, but noticed that FAs didn't go to the 2nd cabin as much either. I wonder if that is a cultural thing - as I use the call button more often on asian airlines than western airlines. Similar in restaurants as well, where it's more expected to 'call for service' in Asia.

Happy that there is still a direct option to HKG from SEA though. Beats going to YVR or SFO first.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by overlord207
Did you return to SEA on 11/30 or 11/29? I may have been on your flight

I sat in 15, but noticed that FAs didn't go to the 2nd cabin as much either. I wonder if that is a cultural thing - as I use the call button more often on asian airlines than western airlines. Similar in restaurants as well, where it's more expected to 'call for service' in Asia.

Happy that there is still a direct option to HKG from SEA though. Beats going to YVR or SFO first.
It was 11/30. Definitely true that it’s ok to use the button more on asian carriers but my wife was put off that they seemed to be doing no rounds at all when she was hoping to get breakfast. I happened to be awake when they started breakfast and ran into one or the FAs. But my wife and kids were all asleep and then awoke after my tray was cleared and it was as if the FAs thought there was no reason to check back again. We’re heading back to HKG on CX later this month and I already told the kids to feel free to hit the call button anytime they want anything.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 11:28 pm

Flying back out tonight from Seattle and wishing we knew how shabby the lounge is. We should have stopped for dinner on the way here and passed through security right before boarding. I’m tempted to say CX should have no lounge at all if this is the lounge they are going to have. Disgusting chairs with wear marks and stains. Wow, what a dump.
Old Dec 20, 2019, 12:34 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by stephem
Flying back out tonight from Seattle and wishing we knew how shabby the lounge is. We should have stopped for dinner on the way here and passed through security right before boarding. I’m tempted to say CX should have no lounge at all if this is the lounge they are going to have. Disgusting chairs with wear marks and stains. Wow, what a dump.
I'm guessing the reason why CX cannot use the BA lounge, as is the case in some other US airports, is because the BA lounge can't accommodate 1~2 BR flights and a CX flight at the same time, and BR had been using the BA lounge even before CX launched the route.
Old Dec 20, 2019, 12:36 am

Programs: Lawl COVID
Just did 857 a couple days ago. I like it. Was able to score some decent discount J on shortish notice (PEY was $stupid!) Lounge was meh, but I don’t see the cachet of lounges anyway. Ride was nice, have to say it beats 77W J. Crew was pretty good, too. Long may it continue as it gives me an alternative to slogging it out of SFO...
Old Dec 20, 2019, 12:36 am

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Originally Posted by ernestnywang
I'm guessing the reason why CX cannot use the BA lounge, as is the case in some other US airports, is because the BA lounge can't accommodate 1~2 BR flights and a CX flight at the same time, and BR had been using the BA lounge even before CX launched the route.
Perhaps they can tow the CX aircraft to the N gates (after unloading arriving passengers at the S gates for US immigration/customs) and use the new Alaska Boardroom at the N gates instead?
Old Dec 20, 2019, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by daniellam
Perhaps they can tow the CX aircraft to the N gates (after unloading arriving passengers at the S gates for US immigration/customs) and use the new Alaska Boardroom at the N gates instead?
N gates aren’t common use; they’re leased to AS. I imagine they would like to use them instead of having to support a CX widebody for the purposes of giving some people access to a better lounge.
Old Dec 20, 2019, 3:43 pm

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
N gates aren’t common use; they’re leased to AS. I imagine they would like to use them instead of having to support a CX widebody for the purposes of giving some people access to a better lounge.
Perhaps CX needs to have a deeper relationship (perhaps even a JV) with AS on that route. This could even be useful for AS pax connecting to a CX flight.

In ORD, AA has a strong relationship with JL (but not CX). The JL flight unloads at the international terminal and the aircraft is towed to the domestic terminal where passengers can use the AA Flagship Lounge. Useful for AA to JL connections.

Similarly, also at ORD, UA has a strong relationship with NH and LH. Both NH and LH unload at the international terminal and have their aircraft towed to the domestic terminal where passengers can use the UA Polaris Lounge. Useful for UA to NH/LH connections.
Old Dec 20, 2019, 4:28 pm

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by daniellam
Perhaps CX needs to have a deeper relationship (perhaps even a JV) with AS on that route. This could even be useful for AS pax connecting to a CX flight.
Umm...that will be a very big move for AS. I don't think AS has any JV with any one, and I believe the recent addition of AS code on some QF flights is the first time AS code is seen outside of North America and Siberia.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.