Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cathay Dragon biz seats

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2018, 2:42 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by B-HQC
Come on, let's be fair here! The seats aren't the most comfortable, but they have at least an extra 6" of pitch compared to most US Domestic First seats and have significantly more recline.
You know it's getting bad at CX/KA when you're being compared to US domestic.....
fairhsa, percysmith and HaikalS like this.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 1:29 pm

Programs: SQ PPS SOLITAIRE, AA ,HHONOR GOLD, BONVOY GOLD, IHG PLAT
Originally Posted by B-HQC
Come on, let's be fair here! The seats aren't the most comfortable, but they have at least an extra 6" of pitch compared to most US Domestic First seats and have significantly more recline.
Sorry I don't agree. I can't see how I am getting even an inch more pitch than AK/AA domestic narrow body seats. And, I'm ashamed to say, the quality of food is much better on those airlines.

Also,, have you seen the blankets on KA (even in J) ? They look like they haven't been washed in months, just wrapped in a wrinkled old bag. I wouldn't dare touch one.

I wish KA had a better hard/soft product, but in reality they beat SQ Y only with a better seat. In every other dept., SQ Y > KA J.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 10:10 pm

Programs: CX MPC DM, HU FWC Gold
Originally Posted by CommittedLurker
Sorry I don't agree. I can't see how I am getting even an inch more pitch than AK/AA domestic narrow body seats. And, I'm ashamed to say, the quality of food is much better on those airlines.

Also,, have you seen the blankets on KA (even in J) ? They look like they haven't been washed in months, just wrapped in a wrinkled old bag. I wouldn't dare touch one.

I wish KA had a better hard/soft product, but in reality they beat SQ Y only with a better seat. In every other dept., SQ Y > KA J.
KA is kinda like MI in this situation. Cannot direct compare to this.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 10:21 pm

Programs: BA SL, CX GR, IHG Plat Amb

Sorry to disagree. I do not find KA to be this bad. The seats are not flatbed ones, but are nice enough for regional journeys. They have reasonable space and recline, and more importantly, they don’t recline into the space of the pax behind. Soft product is also fine, excellent services from the crew, although one may argue catering on KA or even CX could be better.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 11:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by SLGO

Sorry to disagree. I do not find KA to be this bad. The seats are not flatbed ones, but are nice enough for regional journeys. They have reasonable space and recline, and more importantly, they don’t recline into the space of the pax behind. Soft product is also fine, excellent services from the crew, although one may argue catering on KA or even CX could be better.
​​​​​​KA used to have pretty good food, but it seems they have tried to reduce themselves to CX standards.
QRC3288 and marcommm like this.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 2:13 am

Programs: SQ PPS SOLITAIRE, AA ,HHONOR GOLD, BONVOY GOLD, IHG PLAT
Originally Posted by SLGO

Maybe it is route specific then. The food on the route I am always on, HGK-CCU vv is always a cheap Y meal in J (SQ Y is better). The blankets are always dirty, wrinkled, and sealed in obviously reused plastic bags.

Honestly, those seats are not very good for a 4 hour flight. Is it possible seat pitch is a bit tighter on the A320 vs A330 ?

This is the case both ex: HKG and ex: CCU.

FYI - I do not have high standards for food, especially in the air.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 2:49 am

I agree with the down hill trend of KA J food. Was on a HKG/PVG flight a few weeks' ago for full dinner service. The entree was ONE pathetic single piece of scallop laying on top of some lettuce. The bread was hard as a rock on one side. The main is a hit a miss. Sometimes the regional flavour of the day is good (I think I had some good claypots before) but this time was some average Chinese food which I cannot recall now. Then there is the ice cream - nothing spectacular. Although I noticed they now offer 4 white and 4 red wine choices.

KA J food used to be miles ahead of CX on the same route but now I think the gap is very narrow.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 1:42 pm
Original Poster

Ok but we are booked now. In any case the connection is short and I liked the idea of using Cathay. I wanted to experience this airline and we get into PEK reasonably early at around 1700 IIRC. That I like as we fly back to Chicago the next day at 1200. We are staying at the airport Hilton so we should be able to get to our room fairly quickly.
Thanks for the help.
Larry
Old Jul 18, 2018, 8:14 pm

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
Maybe it is route specific then. The food on the route I am always on, HGK-CCU vv is always a cheap Y meal in J (SQ Y is better). The blankets are always dirty, wrinkled, and sealed in obviously reused plastic bags.

Honestly, those seats are not very good for a 4 hour flight. Is it possible seat pitch is a bit tighter on the A320 vs A330 ?

This is the case both ex: HKG and ex: CCU.

FYI - I do not have high standards for food, especially in the air.
I've never been given a cheap Y meal in J for a 4 hour flight, ever. ... maybe i should avoid India routes
Old Jul 18, 2018, 9:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Ausriver
I've never been given a cheap Y meal in J for a 4 hour flight, ever. ... maybe i should avoid India routes
I can't recall ever taking a four hour KA flight, but can attest to the fact that food on the Shanghai routes has taken a nosedive (i.e. approaching CX levels) on the Shanghai routes.
QRC3288 likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 3:09 am

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by moondog
I can't recall ever taking a four hour KA flight, but can attest to the fact that food on the Shanghai routes has taken a nosedive (i.e. approaching CX levels) on the Shanghai routes.
I've flown HKG-KUL route quite a few times, it is scheduled about 4 hours. I found the service being quite boring as they normally finish meal service quite quickly after take off and will take your tray away around 1.5 - 2 hrs into flight. Left us nothing to eat or drink for the rest 2 hours. Of course you can ask for something, however for whoever new, the experience will be bad.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 5:19 pm
Original Poster

Ok so checking back after the flights and all was fine. We basically had two 4ish hour flights with a change of planes in HK. The seats for these shorter flights were fine, food was good enough and the service was very good. Thanks for the input. Larry
Old Oct 23, 2018, 5:27 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Ausriver
I've flown HKG-KUL route quite a few times, it is scheduled about 4 hours. I found the service being quite boring as they normally finish meal service quite quickly after take off and will take your tray away around 1.5 - 2 hrs into flight. Left us nothing to eat or drink for the rest 2 hours. Of course you can ask for something, however for whoever new, the experience will be bad.
Doing this flight in 2 weeks in J. I'm accustomed to CX ULH service in J and recognize that KA is regional. Could one expect snacks to be left in the galley (ala CX) or is KA simply meal service and nothing else for the remainder of flight?
Old Oct 23, 2018, 7:55 pm

Programs: BA SL, CX GR, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by YVRtoYYZ
Doing this flight in 2 weeks in J. I'm accustomed to CX ULH service in J and recognize that KA is regional. Could one expect snacks to be left in the galley (ala CX) or is KA simply meal service and nothing else for the remainder of flight?
I think that’d be just the meal service for regional flight.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 10:13 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by YVRtoYYZ
Just to make clear for posterity, CX and KA regional flights are essentially the same in terms of service. Very very closely aligned. (And from the perspective of infrequent CX/KA travelers: basically identical).

Neither CX nor KA have snacks in the galley during short flights, and both are just a meal in regional J. Just want to make the point this really isn't about KA so much as it is about CX regional + KA. Same goes for the title of this thread.

Coffee, water, drinks etc are available throughout just hit the call light.

And you could always ask for something if you're still hungry. Something will almost certainly still be available from meal service, maybe some fruit or bread etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.