Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Speak up or not on family self upgrading

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2018, 4:54 am
Original Poster

A family of 10 had 1 ticket in business and 9 in economy. The flight attendants were being nice and upgraded one of the crying kid to the back to the front, who then proceeded to bring all the crying to the business cabin. 2/3 of a way through my flight, I was awaken by walking people and I noticed a crowd gathering around the dad. The nanny and the two kids were playing next to the dad, causing a bunch of a noise. To make matters worse, they started using the bathrooms in the business cabin. I had to wait forever to use the bathroom as one of the kid had used it. I really liked the staff on the plane, but I feel like this is something management should know as they pissed off the entire business class cabin with the move. Should I write in or just let it be? Of course they also terrorized the business check in line and killed the lounge too, I guess Lufthansa had let them paid to get in.

Before the people with kids say I have no sympathy, I paid a $3000 ticket for toddler to be in the front with me. He also couldn't find a bathroom when he woke up as the nanny was using it.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 5:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Report it.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 5:30 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Originally Posted by mattack4000
I guess Lufthansa had let them paid to get in.
Could you clarify what this has to do with Cathay Pacific?
Old Jul 3, 2018, 6:13 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Nevetmind. I misread

Last edited by kaka; Jul 3, 2018 at 6:41 am
Old Jul 3, 2018, 6:21 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by christep
Could you clarify what this has to do with Cathay Pacific?
I'm assuming that the OP is referring to the Lufthansa lounges used by CX in Dubai, so I assume that's where the OP was flying from.
Transpacificflyer likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 8:26 am

Programs: CX DM, SPG Pt, Le Club Accor GO, Shangri-La GC Jade
Report it x 2

Letting the baby goes to J is already a wrongdoing of the crew.

If for some reason say overbooked J, 8 in J and 2 were moved to Y, then I may tolerate the infant to be moved to J from Y. 1 in J and 9 in Y? No way
Old Jul 3, 2018, 9:39 am
Suspended

Families should not be allowed to visit family members in forward cabins. Those cabins are exclusive, and should be restricted to people holding a BP for them. This keeps the cabin quiet, and away from the riff raff, noises, and smells of economy, which is part of the reason for being there in the first place.

If a family wants to visit, the person in the forward cabin should go back to the lower cabins.

This should be STRICTLY enforced.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 10:07 am
Original Poster

Yes, it was DXB to HKG. One of the crying kid was moved up prior to take off. THere was an one hour delay on the tarmac, we had double barrel crying action from the forward cabin (I was in the middle 3 row cabin luckily) and the rear. At least I had the CX headset to drown my sorrow since I couldn't watch the TV anyway during the delay.

I don't know what time they started walking up and down, but I recall waking up to people walking up and down the aisle. It wasn't just the kids, the nanny in the back was also moving up with them too. I was able to go back to sleep, but when I got up to go to the bathroom. I was waiting for a good 10 minutes as the kid and someone was using both the middle and forward cabin bathroom. I couldn't get to the other bathroom as it was either blocked by the other kids or the FA. I didn't have problem with the crew, but the chaos was annoying due to that one family. They had caused the same ruckus in the Lufthansa lounge too.

I wrote an email to Cathay Pacific, let see if they will actually write back. I am not expecting nor did I ask for any compensation, I simply asked WTH as I dropped 6K in the three tickets and I couldn't enjoy my flight fully...

They had also done the same thing when trying to check in at the counter too. They were the first family in the business check in line, they had one business ticket in hand trying to check the whole family in. The people there did let him as he just kept complaining, luckily the other staff were able to check us in before the other economy passengers.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 10:20 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
this is a really crappy situation. You definitely needed to raise the issue with the crew on board, instead of being angry in your head...but that's easier said than done. the 10 year earlier version of myself wouldn't have said anything either. But I damn well do now.

I had a situation in F last year, where a family had purchased 2 F seats for what I think were 5 pax total, I can't remember exactly but I know I wrote about it in an older thread. Anyway, this party had ~3 more members of their party (might've been 4 more) in a cabin behind F, in addition to the 2 passengers with F tickets. For whatever reason, they placed the youngest member of the party (a kid) in F with a grandparent. And the party immediately began swapping passengers into F and doting on a child. Not only did they swap seats, but they'd have 3 or 4 people in F at a time despite having just 2 seats. They'd stand there and fawn over / talk to the kid / dote on the child constantly, making quite a ruckus, and blasting back and forth through the curtains. And naturally, without attention the child started acting up which yielded the family up to F again to make a big fuss.

At first I didn't say anything. But I eventually said to hell with it, complained and the cabin crew about the situation (I wanted to sleep, which wasn't going to be possible with the family's chirade) and the FAs dealt with it. the FAs were practically waiting for me to say something, as soon as I did they kicked into gear. This is a tangent, but it seems that CX FAs are terrified to take firm action against misbehaving wealthy passengers, but they get their "excuse" to do their job if another passenger complains.

I wasn't pleased FAs didn't proactively can this ridiculous behavior - it was one of the bad LAX crews - I've flown enough miles for enough years to know now if I want something, better to just damn speak up and ask for it instead of sitting there and being pissed about what others who "should be" are or aren't doing.

But I definitely sympathize with the OP's situation. This is completely ridiculous.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 11:21 am

Originally Posted by Proudelitist
Families should not be allowed to visit family members in forward cabins. Those cabins are exclusive, and should be restricted to people holding a BP for them. This keeps the cabin quiet, and away from the riff raff, noises, and smells of economy, which is part of the reason for being there in the first place.

If a family wants to visit, the person in the forward cabin should go back to the lower cabins.

i agree with what was written but take exception to the words "riff raff". Deciding to fly coach says nothing about a person's character. Some just feel no need to spend their considerable money on an airline seat. They spend it on things more important to them.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 12:16 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by awayIgo

i agree with what was written but take exception to the words "riff raff". Deciding to fly coach says nothing about a person's character. Some just feel no need to spend their considerable money on an airline seat. They spend it on things more important to them.

"Riff-raff" isn't about individuals and doesn't refer to them, nor is it a statement about character. It's a plural, collective term. It's about the crowd, and it arises when many individuals are jammed together in a small space.

I also submit that the lower cabins contain a higher % of inexperienced leisure travelers, which leads to other problems of etiquette, odors, behavior, noise etc. That's not to say it couldn't happen in forward cabins, just that it's more likely and more frequent in the lower cabins.

And to your second point, most of us upfront are not spending our own money. The majority of us are using points, status, and company $. Please don't imply that we are irresponsible spenders with terrible priorities.
NetJets Germany and nmuva98 like this.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 3:14 pm

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.
a very polite way is ask ISM "how much does inflight upgrade cost on CX? i like to try next time" and refer to family. message gets acrossed but you can keep your dignity

i doubt they are loyalty or VIP if they could only afford 1 J in first place
royng likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 6:01 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by fakecd
a very polite way is ask ISM "how much does inflight upgrade cost on CX? i like to try next time" and refer to family. message gets acrossed but you can keep your dignity

i doubt they are loyalty or VIP if they could only afford 1 J in first place
I actually think you keep your dignity better by politely saying what you want rather than talking in passive aggressive roundabouts.
fairhsa likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 6:27 pm

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by QRC3288
this is a really crappy situation. You definitely needed to raise the issue with the crew on board, instead of being angry in your head...but that's easier said than done. the 10 year earlier version of myself wouldn't have said anything either. But I damn well do now.

I had a situation in F last year, where a family had purchased 2 F seats for what I think were 5 pax total, I can't remember exactly but I know I wrote about it in an older thread. Anyway, this party had ~3 more members of their party (might've been 4 more) in a cabin behind F, in addition to the 2 passengers with F tickets. For whatever reason, they placed the youngest member of the party (a kid) in F with a grandparent. And the party immediately began swapping passengers into F and doting on a child. Not only did they swap seats, but they'd have 3 or 4 people in F at a time despite having just 2 seats. They'd stand there and fawn over / talk to the kid / dote on the child constantly, making quite a ruckus, and blasting back and forth through the curtains. And naturally, without attention the child started acting up which yielded the family up to F again to make a big fuss.

At first I didn't say anything. But I eventually said to hell with it, complained and the cabin crew about the situation (I wanted to sleep, which wasn't going to be possible with the family's chirade) and the FAs dealt with it. the FAs were practically waiting for me to say something, as soon as I did they kicked into gear. This is a tangent, but it seems that CX FAs are terrified to take firm action against misbehaving wealthy passengers, but they get their "excuse" to do their job if another passenger complains.

I wasn't pleased FAs didn't proactively can this ridiculous behavior - it was one of the bad LAX crews - I've flown enough miles for enough years to know now if I want something, better to just damn speak up and ask for it instead of sitting there and being pissed about what others who "should be" are or aren't doing.

But I definitely sympathize with the OP's situation. This is completely ridiculous.

Maybe it was a DM and they need another DM to complain first. hahaha
Old Jul 3, 2018, 6:32 pm

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by Proudelitist

I find this is enforced quite well by the crew. In fact I met an SP who I've flown with on numerous occasions when she was an FP who told me of a recent scolding she got from a DM sitting in PEY who took his sone to the business class lavatories in dr2 and how she was reported to the ISM who backed her so the guy left a nasty comment card on arrival.

On one occasion when a nanny was in F to help a couple take care of the kids, the ISM asked the Nanny to stay by Dr1 away from everybody, so as not to disturb the other passenger.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.