Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Reward booking - Available online but not with Marco Polo ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2018, 12:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: EK Gold CX Silver, HHonors Gold

Today i had an unsatisfactory experience with MPC.

I want to amend an award booking i made by adding an extra sector to my HKG - AMS ticket, so the booking would become TPE - AMS. Reason is that TPE - AMS requires as much AsiaMiles as HKG - AMS (65K). Booking separate would be 81K miles.

I checked inventory for the award tickets TPE- HKG on 9 august 2018 and there were plenty. When i called Marco Polo to amend my booking, they stated they could not see any availability for TPE - HKG in J for 2 pax. I checked the inventory again via the Asia Miles website and again, plenty of availability:

Anyone that had a similar experience or tips to solve this situation ?
I emailed MPC with the suggestion that i book the flight TPE - HKG myself and get the AsiaMiles credited back to my account. No reply yet

Last edited by Haaienvoer; Jul 2, 2018 at 1:51 pm Reason: aded reasoning for amending the ticket
Old Jul 2, 2018, 2:17 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
TPE-HKG-AMS is different from TPE-HKG + HKG-AMS. The fact that TPE-HKG is available as a standalone does not imply the TPE-HKG segment is available for TPE-HKG-AMS. If you can see that TPE-HKG-AMS is available online, then that is a different story.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 2:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cxfan1960
TPE-HKG-AMS is different from TPE-HKG + HKG-AMS. The fact that TPE-HKG is available as a standalone does not imply the TPE-HKG segment is available for TPE-HKG-AMS. If you can see that TPE-HKG-AMS is available online, then that is a different story.
Ah, clear and your answer makes sense. It is not possible to look for TPE - HKG - AMS online.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 5:18 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by Haaienvoer
Ah, clear and your answer makes sense. It is not possible to look for TPE - HKG - AMS online.
??? You just search TPE-AMS, right?
Old Jul 2, 2018, 5:35 pm
Original Poster

Sorry for the misunderstanding,
i can search for TPE-AMS but I know that the segment HKG-AMS is waitlisted for the date i have already an award ticket booked.
So when searching for TPE-AMS, knowing that HKG-AMS is waitlisted, i get waitlisted and there is no way of knowing whether the segment TPE-HKG opens up
Old Jul 2, 2018, 8:35 pm

I do not know if it will help but I would suggest calling again and trying another agent. Explain that you already have the HKG-AMS award and you want to add on a segment from TPE-HKG which has award space. If they attempt to claim it does not have award space you could create a new booking and give them the reference to prove it (do you have 24 hour free cancellation?). It seems like it should be possible but I do not know the limitations of their system.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 4:11 am
Original Member

Programs: CX DM, JGC Sapphire, FWC Gold
Just adding TPE-HKG may not work as they will have to reissue the ticket, meaning your original HKG-AMS booking will have to be cancelled, so that you can book you TPE-AMS (via HKG) again.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 4:23 am

Other airlines' systems are able to reissue a ticket when adding a new segment while holding existing segments. It is hard to imagine CX not having this capability. How would they handle IRROPS without it?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.