Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Oneworld elites can no longer select seats for companions for free

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2018, 5:42 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau
Original Poster

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member

Originally Posted by tropikey
"The following passengers can request a seat in advance
Members of The Marco Polo Club and oneworld alliance holding elite status
All First and Business Class passengers
Passengers holding tickets on eligible fare types – W, R, E, Y, B, H, K, L, M, V, T"
Enhanced policy:

Old Jun 29, 2018, 6:18 am

Programs: Lowly CX & IHG
Originally Posted by percysmith

Enhanced policy:

Looks like just layout out the rules more clearly to state non-OW-status SNQO can pay for seat selection, ref 2nd point OW Ruby or above can still select seats freely but benefits not extended to companion.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 3:17 pm

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.
you guys wanted MPC to differentiate against others. Now you got what u wanted. enhancement!
Zacnlinc and royng like this.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 10:52 pm

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
Originally Posted by fakecd
you guys wanted MPC to differentiate against others. Now you got what u wanted. enhancement!
Perhaps this enhancement can let DM/GOs feel a bit more special over their OWE/OWS competitors counterparts
Old Nov 16, 2018, 4:00 am

I'm here to throw a spanner in the works.

Travelling KA ex-PVG in Y on a cash fare with the other half on a BA (X Class) redemption I called up the CX HK call centre immediately after booking and assigned her a seat next to mine.

I'm BA OWS and needless to say, I was oblivious to the info mentioned upthread.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 5:56 am

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)
wow they are really trying hard to piss off oneworld customers aren't they?

​​
Old Nov 16, 2018, 11:53 am

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
Originally Posted by ermen
wow they are really trying hard to piss off oneworld customers aren't they?

​​
Or they're trying to give MPC members a reason to feel valued
Old Nov 16, 2018, 3:08 pm

Programs: CX Green | UA Silver | Marriott Lifetime Platinum | Hyatt Globalist | Hilton Gold | AA EXP
I'm curious how this works in reality. Say 2 tickets - Q fare. One has AA/BA OWS number and the other one nothing. If I read this correctly, the one with OW status gets free seat selection while the second passenger on the same PNR does not. So will CX really split up people on the same PNR - one in the front and one potentially somewhere way back?
Btw, doesn't CX reservation system usually put 2 people on the same PNR together? So if seat selection is skipped for the second passenger, doesn't the system automatically put it next to the other passenger on the same PNR?

I think other airlines it's either all or none for the same PNR (at least that was my experience with AA with my CX DM. Same with LA). This will be interesting to watch.

Last edited by Rivarix; Nov 16, 2018 at 3:32 pm
Old Nov 16, 2018, 9:17 pm

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.
i dont think this rule is enforced... my N class booking with family i selected seats on MMB
jeweled golf club likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 9:20 pm
Suspended

They are free not to enforce this, but it’s a good move! Otherwise all join other oneworld programs at the cost of CX!
Old Nov 16, 2018, 10:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by Gwoktaai
They are free not to enforce this, but it’s a good move! Otherwise all join other oneworld programs at the cost of CX!

I do not understand this quote.
Revenue pax are revenue pax, whatever the FPF they use.
Actually, it is important for CX to attract pax from other FFPs.
Sure CX "pays" miles to other FFPS but they also "pay" miles to their FFP and the miles finances is another story.
HK is a small clientele base compared to the number of pax flown by CX.
I understand that CX favors a bit their MPC to induce them to fly more on CX/KA and the silver lounge access is one of those benefits. But if they "enhance" MPC by removing benefits for other FFPS they have to be careful.
Personally, I don't care as my wife is also OWE and this is a mibor change.

Last edited by brunos; Nov 17, 2018 at 1:04 am
Old Nov 16, 2018, 10:21 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by brunos
HK is a small clientele base compared to the number of pax flown by CX.
I understand that CX favors a bit their MPC to induce them to fly more on CX/KA and the silver lounge access is one of those benefits. But if they "enhance" MPC by removing benefits for other FFPS they have to be careful.
Personally, I don't care as my wife is also OWE and this is a mibor change.
For the quote, I’m sure there’s always supply and demand taken into account...

Old Nov 17, 2018, 1:48 am

Programs: Aeroplan
On a recent flight in discounted economy, I was able to select a seat as a OWE while my companion did not. Honestly, I think it's a small change and I'm not too inconvenienced.

However, good recognition of OW status is a reason I choose CX over QF, CX over BA, CX over AA, CX over JL. Except mainland China, There are other OW carriers that can carry me to my destinations, so without extra consideration, I may not choose CX every time.
jeweled golf club likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by Frayed_Yak
On a recent flight in discounted economy, I was able to select a seat as a OWE while my companion did not. Honestly, I think it's a small change and I'm not too inconvenienced.
I too don't quite understand this policy. Why CX would intentionally split up people travelling together is strange. Did you get split up?
Old Nov 17, 2018, 7:11 pm

Programs: MPC-DM, Enrich-Plat
Originally Posted by fakecd
i dont think this rule is enforced... my N class booking with family i selected seats on MMB
Could it be, you were travelling with children, booked in the same PNR ? If so, that might be the reason you could select seats upfront. CX (nor any airline) wants minors to be isolated seated away from their guardians.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.