Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Inaugural Washington Dulles Flight

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2018, 9:33 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by JohnGreat
I consider this route to be a milestone for CX I guess due to Typhoon Mangkhut, this has played way down. No announcement, no pictures, etc.
The first flight out of IAD (on Sunday Sept 16, 2018, scheduled at 1:20am) left 4 hours and 17 minutes late. I guess something you don't want to highlight. Per Flightaware the flight took off at 5:53am. A long night for those having to wait all night at the airport.

I wonder if CX kept the BA Lounge open during the delay.

Flight shows ontime for tonight (Sept 17) with a scheduled departure of 1:20am on Sep 18th. Flight aware shows a 10 minute delay for Wed Sept 19 now at 1:30am.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 9:41 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by JohnGreat
I consider this route to be a milestone for CX I guess due to Typhoon Mangkhut, this has played way down. No announcement, no pictures, etc.
?

The inagural had a little celebration at the gate, some small gifts, photographers, etc. It left from gate 3 on Saturday the 15th. I was flying that day and saw it.

I don't know what IAD did, if anything, but the first service was HKG-IAD, and there was indeed something going on. Muted, but something.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 8:52 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat
Any confirmation on the BA lounge staying open for this flight? Im flying out on 10/3 and it looks like all of the clubs/bars/restaurants close at 11pm at the latest.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by beershack
Any confirmation on the BA lounge staying open for this flight? Im flying out on 10/3 and it looks like all of the clubs/bars/restaurants close at 11pm at the latest.
Yes - the Cathay Pacific website for lounges says:
British Airways Lounge
Opening hours: 22:00 - departure
Food and drink - a selection of food, drinks, light snacks.

So looks like CX takes over the BA Lounge.
BA lists the lounge as open from 14:30 to 22:30 for BA flights.

But I am guessing if you arrive early you could still get in, based on OneWorld Access rules.

CX states - the check in counter opens 3 hours before departure (IAD) (so 10:20pm). But if you can check in on line or via the app - then you should be able to get in earlier.
beershack likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 4:57 pm

Flew IAD to HKG the other day - a few comments:

1. If you do online check and get your boarding pass, it may show "TSA Pre Check" - however TSA will not be able to scan it. You will still need to go to the CX counter and get a new Boarding Pass. Note the counter doesn't open until around 9:30pm.

2. BA controls the lounge. There is no CX rep at the lounge at all. Unless you have OneWorld Sapphire or Emerald, BA will not let you in the lounge until 10pm. The BA manager controls access for CX passengers and has a list. He will check you off but again after 10am. Most of the lounge will be closed off including the bars. You need to ask the BA manager for a drink or champagne, but he will freely bring more bottles. CX buys the same food that BA provides for it snack counter - which is soup and light sandwiches and potato chips etc. BA has First dining buffet but even if you are Emerald they will not let you in.

Bottom line - get a new boarding pass at the CX counter, arrive after 10pm. Also note that the Turkish Lounge is closed to Priority Pass in the late evening when their flight is using it which departs at 11pm.
beershack and kaffir76 like this.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 10:34 am

Programs: Virtuoso TA, UA 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Platinum
How come cx860 is loaded on all flight related websites but not cx861? Even google search shows the status card for 860 but not for 861.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by bluegatorade
How come cx860 is loaded on all flight related websites but not cx861? Even google search shows the status card for 860 but not for 861.
Try cx869. It's all there.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 11:36 am

cova, how was the onboard service? food? By the way, when did you try to get some sleep? Flying on 10-21 and never been on a plane leaving at 1:20?
Old Sep 24, 2018, 12:10 pm

Programs: Virtuoso TA, UA 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by patrickw
Try cx869. It's all there.
I see it now thanks! Just curious why isn’t it cx861? It’s what was advertised when the flight was first announced and also makes sense given the opposite flight is cx860.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by bluegatorade

I see it now thanks! Just curious why isn’t it cx861? It’s what was advertised when the flight was first announced and also makes sense given the opposite flight is cx860.
I don't know the exact reason of this case, but one rather common reason is by request of atc if there is another flight around the time by another airline with the same or similar number to avoid confusion and chances of miscommunication. There is UA861 departing at 2200 so maybe they think it's too close in case of a delay?

Some other cathay flights have similar practice as well. Most noticeable probably is the recent change to cx865 replacing CX889 while CX888 remains. But there are others too such as CX343/ CX354 for LGW or NRT so it does happen.
​​​​​​
Back to the topic, I think it's really unfortunate that it's a low profile launch for the inaugural flight of cathay's longest flight to date due to circumstances. Was hoping to see more than this.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by pjack
cova, how was the onboard service? food? By the way, when did you try to get some sleep? Flying on 10-21 and never been on a plane leaving at 1:20?
Just returned on CX860 this evening - arrived an hour early at 8:35pm (versus 9:45pm). (group of 5 of us FT'ers on the flight). Out and back in J. Beautiful new plane, great J seat. The flight crew indicated that they had less space in the galley - so not as good for them. But they still did a great job. No PJs in CX J - so bring your own if you want PJs.

IAD-HKG - departs at 1:20am. Immediate food service on the flight is considered Supper. Basically choice of 6 entrees, small salad, and desert. One of the entree choices is soup, but you can order that as a starter if you like. 3 of the choices are available throughout the flight. Then there is breakfast 2 hours before landing.

HKG is 12 hours ahead so 1:20am is 1:20pm in HKG. I find it is best to try to stay up some (even that late) and watch a movie and then go to bed. J was about 80% full, PE was about 20% full and Y was about 65%. CX is going to evaluate the loads over the next 6 months and see if the flight is justified. I do hope it continues as a nonstop from IAD to HKG is very nice. 16 hours over (about 15 hours back).

HKG-IAD - departs at 5:55pm - arrive early and enjoy all the lounges - went to Wings F, Bridge J, and both Pier F and J, plus AmEx Lounge and UA Club lounges. I sort of like the Pier J better than the Pier F lounge. The J lounge is big with lots of different food rooms (3) - regular buffet, then a Noodle bar and a desert bar as well.
CX 860 (HKG-IAD) serves Lunch (6 entree choices, again 3 available throughout the flight. One choice is hamburger. But fish, plus other Asia dishes as well. Good depart time - eat, watch movie, sleep, then breakfast served 2 hours before landing. (evening EDT time through).

Both directions were nice filghts - no issues sleeping - and we time adjusted well for 3 days in HKG. The non-stop is really nice to have.
QRC3288, kaffir76 and danpeake like this.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 9:43 am

Appreciate the info! One more question.....how are blankets and pillows on CX? If the blanket is "thin", it won't keep this "senior" warm. Planning to take my own, but will be on 4 long haul CX flights over a month's time and need all the luggage space I can save.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 1:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by pjack
Appreciate the info! One more question.....how are blankets and pillows on CX? If the blanket is "thin", it won't keep this "senior" warm. Planning to take my own, but will be on 4 long haul CX flights over a month's time and need all the luggage space I can save.
The blankets in J and PE are fairly substantial. More like a thick quilt or thin duvet; roughly twin sized. Nothing like what passes for a blanket on domestic Y service. I can't speak to what they give for blankets on CX Y, as I've never flown it.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 2:43 pm

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by swingaling
The blankets in J and PE are fairly substantial. More like a thick quilt or thin duvet; roughly twin sized. Nothing like what passes for a blanket on domestic Y service. I can't speak to what they give for blankets on CX Y, as I've never flown it.
I haven't flown CX Y for a long time, but from what I observed from PEY, it's a thinner blanket. For those who are familiar with AA, it's similar to AA domestic F blanket (except transcon).

Also note that CX's cabin temp is slightly higher than AA's. Personally I feel it's too hot with PEY/J blanket on with long pants on.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by swingaling
The J blanket is full size and like a double quilt One of the largest blankets I have experienced in a J product. The pillow is a nice size as well. The J bed is the best J product I have flown. The A351 seat differs from the AA 77W and I believe the CX 77W in that it has the padded seat material on a compartment that opens under the triangular table top. Makes it nice for sleeping on your side and pulling up your knees. Also on the aisle side there is a pop up padded extension (push button) which makes the bed extra wide.

Cabin was cool, but blanket kept one warn. Long enough to tuck under your feet. Nice blanket and pillow. Just no PJ's or slippers. There are slipper socks in the amenity kit.

I have only flown CX F and J in the past. Toured aircraft during flight. PE is nice - was only 20% full. Even Y did not look that bad with 3x3x3 in coach. If you can get a bulk head - lots of leg room. So if in coach try to get a bulk head, particularly at an exit door.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.