FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Cathay Pacific | Cathay (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-cathay-487/)
-   -   New Business class service - from July 2018 - Experiences and Discussion (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-cathay/1916638-new-business-class-service-july-2018-experiences-discussion.html)

G-CIVC Apr 16, 2018 12:12 am

New Business class service - from July 2018 - Experiences and Discussion

Following the DoD trial last year, CX will modify and revamp its JCL service flow.

The new service concept retains most of the meritorious bits of the 2017 trial, but it won't be 'on-demand'. Two key aspects of focus will be 1) wider variety of higher quality, better-looking plated food options (expect them to be very similar to the 2017 trial options), and 2) increased personalization in service delivery (which honestly, felt like a joke to me on the trial, wonder what they will roll out this time.)

Here is the twist. Training is mandatory and will be based on seniority. And...it's now two instead of ten days of training.

The popular mattress which was re-trialled didn't make it.

The timeline of the rollout is subject to change but ORD and LGW will be the launch ports in July and August respectively. IAD will begin with the new service.
By December, they hope to roll it out to FRA, MAN, AMS, CDG, JNB, MAD, BRU, BCN and LHR, subject to changes.

djsflynn Jun 18, 2018 6:53 am

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...74ecae7e92.jpg

CX new business class service rollout

djsflynn Jun 18, 2018 6:54 am

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...730838c2fc.jpg

CX new business class service breakfast menu card

sxc Jun 20, 2018 12:22 am

Some updated photos of the new service here.

https://www.ausbt.com.au/cathay-paci...s-meal-service

Mr. Strong Jun 20, 2018 12:30 pm

I'm hoping this new service will improve the current dining experience, but I'm pessimistic and doubt that CX will make the necessary quality changes. I'm somewhat afraid that CX will try to put lipstick on the "pig" that CX F&B has downgraded to.

The ABT article noted that new menus will include a "most loved main course" flagged for each route...hmmm, I'm not quite sure what that means but if it means a most loved CX main course, I'm struggling to think of ever having enjoyed a most loved main course served in CX F or J.

What I'm afraid about is that what has happened at The Dining Room in The Pier F with Sodexo, will in a way be replicated in flight. New crockery and trays and service delivery won't make poor tasting food taste better and cheaper champagne and wines taste better. I certainly hope the grissini and dips will disappear as well as the berries in syrup.

I get the sense that there is more focus on style of service and not enough details about improving the actual taste and quality of the food. CX cost cutting continues to negatively impact the customer experience and Boss Hogg and the folks at Swire should look at how Alan Joyce successfully turned Qantas around.

G-CIVC Jun 21, 2018 9:18 am

I've had a look at how the new menu looks like. The 'most loved' stuff is just essentially allowing for you to order the current hot snacks as the 1st meal entree. Please, realistically, don't expect much, although I'm glad to see the tableware largely resemblant of those used in the trials last year.

daniellam Jul 4, 2018 10:23 pm

Has anyone here flown in Business Class on the HKG-ORD vv. route in July yet?

Please share any menus / pictures of your dining experience.

clubeurope Jul 5, 2018 10:22 am

Originally Posted by djsflynn (Post 29911006)
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...730838c2fc.jpg

CX new business class service breakfast menu card

that looks real neat! looking forward to these

FlyPointyEnd Jul 5, 2018 7:50 pm

They are still doing the crew training now...I saw photos of the training conducted in classrooms so I am not even sure how it translates to the galley at this stage. I would have thought they would have done it in the galley mock ups.

royng Jul 7, 2018 8:34 am

Originally Posted by clubeurope (Post 29941012)
that looks real neat! looking forward to these

To be frank, TK's long haul breakfast card is "neater" and more exciting.

clubeurope Jul 7, 2018 10:01 am

Originally Posted by royng (Post 29947485)
To be frank, TK's long haul breakfast card is "neater" and more exciting.

it looks neat relative to cx’s current offering :p

i dont think we need a comparison between CX’s catering and TK’s at this point ;)

MADBOB Jul 8, 2018 4:40 pm

Has the new service actually started? We are booked early August ORD to HKG and expecting the new menu and meal service to be well underway by then. I hoping for a dramatic improvement. It’s sad how far CX has fallen with their soft product.

daniellam Jul 8, 2018 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by MADBOB (Post 29951791)
Has the new service actually started? We are booked early August ORD to HKG and expecting the new menu and meal service to be well underway by then. I hoping for a dramatic improvement. It’s sad how far CX has fallen with their soft product.

In the mean time, I would suggest taking the long way ORD-DOH-HKG on QR where you get restaurant style meals in business class without the use of trays and casserole dishes.

Failing that, I would bring my own plate, some fresh herbs and a pair of heat proof rubber gloves when flying CX Business Class. When the first part of the meal comes, remove everything from the tray and put directly onto the table. Set the tray aside so that it can be used to collect the stuff on the table after meal service. Once their main course is served, put on your rubber gloves and transfer the food from the casserole dish onto your plate. Make it look nice by adding the fresh herbs and carefully spooning the sauce from the casserole onto your plate. Enjoy! When the main part of the meal service is over, put everything back onto the tray and give to flight attendant. Then have your cheese/fruit and dessert as usual. Remember to clean your plate in the lavatory, and keep for use on your next CX J flight (until that flight has the new dining concept).

Just a thought...perhaps if CX got rid of their First Class product, then their Business Class product would start to improve?

jmj9905 Jul 11, 2018 4:02 pm

I know everybody raves about qr business food. I flew them last sept. iad/doh.cpt. First leg entre was lamb loin. So over cooked it was inedible. Second leg I had the filet sandwich. It had so much grisle it also was inedible. When I complained to the fa she said"i'll let catering know"' Sorry, I think CX is better than Qr.

YMMV

FlyPointyEnd Jul 11, 2018 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by jmj9905 (Post 29963863)
I know everybody raves about qr business food. I flew them last sept. iad/doh.cpt. First leg entre was lamb loin. So over cooked it was inedible. Second leg I had the filet sandwich. It had so much grisle it also was inedible. When I complained to the fa she said"i'll let catering know"' Sorry, I think CX is better than Qr.

YMMV

Honestly I prefer Asian flavors and from my experience with QR, they mostly serve South Asian or Middle eastern dishes plus Western options, while I wouldn't say its inedible, it wasn't really great. However I like how their dishes are presented. I want my meals plated properly and I want them on the table instead of getting it my meal served on a tray like in the cafeteria or the hospital.