Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

New Business class service - from July 2018 - Experiences and Discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Business class service - from July 2018 - Experiences and Discussion

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2019, 12:51 am

Originally Posted by londonexpert
i am pretty sure CX does not use powder eggs when compared to the pale yellow eggs served on BA.
There’s a video from 2014 on YouTube about CPCS’s catering operations - in one of the segments, they were showing CPCS’ “tailor-made” rotating egg station. I’m not exactly sure how powdered eggs look like, but that surely doesn’t look like powdered eggs to me.

It's an interesting behind the scenes look into CX even if you don't understand Cantonese and have 20 minutes to spare.

Source:
Old May 24, 2019, 1:33 am

The grass is always greener.

tbh if the steak is like this I prefer to have no steak

Disappointing CW experience
Old May 24, 2019, 4:47 am

Originally Posted by G-CIVC
(CX LHR base crew shine like rockstars, the HKG base not so much)
It is good to know the LHR based crew have lifted their game. They used to be one of the worst and CX actually did some mix crew to balance things up a bit.
i do missing taking 251 and 255.
Old May 27, 2019, 2:11 pm

Programs: airponts
Unhappy

Following the change in caterer to DO&CO this month the evening LHR-HKG flights have been downgraded to Brunch for 2nd meal in J class. It's truly horrible!!!
That means no more breakfast cards. Only one western option gets pastries for breakfast and the uplift is around 30-50% the pax load only. If you want dessert for the 2nd meal, then you'll have to stick with the veg main option. Chinese option gets you no pastry and no dessert.
The bowl of fruit as a starter had two tiny pieces of melon and two halves of a strawberry - I wonder what the portion would be like in PEY/Y?
Worse still I took the last flight (CX 254 10:20pm) out and it was a 'Supper' service contrary to a full Dinner which has been the case for the past 15 years - no appetizers and limited choice of breads and greens and mains etc. The crew were embarrassed when I pointed out that we have fewer entree choices in J now than PEY
I arrived into LHR from a EU BA connection that was awful so starving when I hit CX254 , joy of a burger for dinner....I skipped the brunch on Thursday night as it was effectively a breakfast, thought i would eat in the lounge on my 3 hour connection to AKL. Silly me, Sodexo provided me with stale bread and mini bites of cheese (no chutney, also why is Gruyere even on a cheeseboard it should be melted???). If you do not want noodles in the lounges in HKG you are stuffed. The buffet was a joke. Arrive on to AKL service which is struggling with the new service. Wrong meal/drinks brought to me. No juice on breakfast trays no jam for croissant. Tablecloths laid for 30 minuted before food arrived... I had to eat a McDonalds on arrival 😂
Old May 27, 2019, 4:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
My first experience with the new service LAX-HKG CX883 last week. Wow, felt like I was on UA. The trays are unbelievably tacky, the choices weak. I had the "spicy shrimp" and they were not spicy at all, just four shrimp in a sweet gloppy tomato based sauce, with no side. And no cheeseburger for a snack.

It's not like CX catering before was anything great, but these cuts have really diminished my enthusiasm for CX longhaul. Especially with the increasingly tired 77W hard product. Just wish NH had a nighttime departure from SFO, their food is SO much better.
Old May 27, 2019, 6:50 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by Kacee
My first experience with the new service LAX-HKG CX883 last week. Wow, felt like I was on UA. The trays are unbelievably tacky, the choices weak. I had the "spicy shrimp" and they were not spicy at all, just four shrimp in a sweet gloppy tomato based sauce, with no side. And no cheeseburger for a snack.
Reading this thread is to read a thread of business traveler horrors.

I haven't yet tried the "new service". At this point I'm intentionally avoiding it.
Old May 27, 2019, 9:48 pm

Programs: CX, Hyatt

It's not like CX catering before was anything great, but these cuts have really diminished my enthusiasm for CX longhaul. Especially with the increasingly tired 77W hard product. Just wish NH had a nighttime departure from SFO, their food is SO much better.
I haven't tried the new CX dining after delays in rolling EWR / JFK out, but I did UA Polaris this weekend and it was actually decent.

Do however agree the grass is greener - just as I thought HX J was bad, I had AC J this weekend as well and for the entree I actually prefer CX Y's western...I'm sure new CX J can't be worse.

Does anyone know if 254's change to supper affect F as well?
Old May 27, 2019, 11:41 pm

Programs: MPC-DM, Enrich-Plat
My first experience ...... The trays are unbelievably tacky, .......
Actually, a tech firm has spent a lot of effort to realize the tacky surface and CX pays significant money for this tech feature.

It's there, to avoid that the Chinaware goes to China, when it gets turbulent and/or when a FA makes a sudden movement with the tray in hands.
Old May 27, 2019, 11:55 pm

Programs: MPC-DM, Enrich-Plat
...... I had the "spicy shrimp" and they were not spicy at all, just four shrimp in a sweet gloppy tomato based sauce, with no side. And no cheeseburger for a snack........
Yeah, the non-spicy, restrict to natural flavor only, is a thing CX should work on. Though, please CX, do not use the artificial industrial flavors, one gets served in FF restaurants to beef up the paper based stuff you get there. Natural herbs, starting with Salt & Pepper, Chili sauce and the like, are the way to go.

Regarding the cheeseburger: Did you ask for a cheeseburger, of for a Beefburger, that comes with a slice of cheese ? Was it on the menu anyhow ?

And the Fries should come with mayonaise, drop the ketchup .......
Old May 28, 2019, 12:00 am
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Ex-USA there's no burger for this season and possibly into the future. Don't ask me why, ask Ed and Kim

Originally Posted by QRC3288
Reading this thread is to read a thread of business traveler horrors.

I haven't yet tried the "new service". At this point I'm intentionally avoiding it.
Wow I'm surprised you haven't got a hold on it yet the rollout will be complete by August 2019!
Old May 28, 2019, 12:01 am

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by Cambo
Actually, a tech firm has spent a lot of effort to realize the tacky surface and CX pays significant money for this tech feature.

It's there, to avoid that the Chinaware goes to China, when it gets turbulent and/or when a FA makes a sudden movement with the tray in hands.
There are several airlines who have stopped using trays in business class, setting the cutlery and plates on a cloth laid directly on the table. Even on CX, they do this in First Class; ultimately it's about manpower or the lack of it. Let's not pretend its solely about safety and turbulence.
G-CIVC likes this.
Old May 28, 2019, 12:02 am

Ex-USA there's no burger for this season and possibly into the future. Don't ask me why, ask Ed and Kim
Isn't it on rotation? A few years ago I remember seeing quesadillas from the west coast back to HK.
Old May 28, 2019, 12:04 am
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Originally Posted by FlyPointyEnd
Isn't it on rotation? A few years ago I remember seeing quesadillas from the west coast back to HK.
Quesadillas is too premium for J class, that's left for F only

For new J - the burger ex USA has been replaced with some sort of pie for now, as usual, CX loves fixing things that are not broken!!!
QRC3288 and FlyPointyEnd like this.
Old May 28, 2019, 12:15 am

Quesadillas is too premium for J class, that's left for F only
^^^^
Old May 28, 2019, 12:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I'll add as well that CX has managed to completely overstress its FAs, too. They practically run down the aisle trying to provide timely service. It's an interesting cultural difference with American crews, who just serve at their regular pace, even if it means you wait three hours for your meal.
Originally Posted by Cambo

I think you're joking, but will add nonetheless that many other airlines use trays in business class. CX's is the cheapest looking I've seen.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.