Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

New Business class service - from July 2018 - Experiences and Discussion

New Business class service - from July 2018 - Experiences and Discussion

Old May 22, 2019, 6:08 pm

Programs: MPC Silver
Originally Posted by G-CIVC
Following the change in caterer to DO&CO this month the evening LHR-HKG flights have been downgraded to Brunch for 2nd meal in J class. It's truly horrible!!!
That means no more breakfast cards. Only one western option gets pastries for breakfast and the uplift is around 30-50% the pax load only. If you want dessert for the 2nd meal, then you'll have to stick with the veg main option. Chinese option gets you no pastry and no dessert.
The bowl of fruit as a starter had two tiny pieces of melon and two halves of a strawberry - I wonder what the portion would be like in PEY/Y?
Worse still I took the last flight (CX 254 10:20pm) out and it was a 'Supper' service contrary to a full Dinner which has been the case for the past 15 years - no appetizers and limited choice of breads and greens and mains etc. The crew were embarrassed when I pointed out that we have fewer entree choices in J now than PEY
Oh damn. That's really sad to hear. I'm flying CX 254 next Monday. Hopefully they have better service than that.
Old May 22, 2019, 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by clubeurope
These days, I'll take BA.
which is worst in this route for catering. Have you looked at what they serve as the 2nd meal? Also what “snacks” do they offer?

Old May 22, 2019, 9:11 pm

Following the change in caterer to DO&CO this month the evening LHR-HKG flights have been downgraded to Brunch for 2nd meal in J class. It's truly horrible!!!
That means no more breakfast cards. Only one western option gets pastries for breakfast and the uplift is around 30-50% the pax load only. If you want dessert for the 2nd meal, then you'll have to stick with the veg main option. Chinese option gets you no pastry and no dessert.
The bowl of fruit as a starter had two tiny pieces of melon and two halves of a strawberry - I wonder what the portion would be like in PEY/Y?
Worse still I took the last flight (CX 254 10:20pm) out and it was a 'Supper' service contrary to a full Dinner which has been the case for the past 15 years - no appetizers and limited choice of breads and greens and mains etc. The crew were embarrassed when I pointed out that we have fewer entree choices in J now than PEY
it is strange they call it Brunch when the 3 options are all breakfast type main courses. Normally they have a pasta option?
Old May 22, 2019, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by londonexpert

it is strange they call it Brunch when the 3 options are all breakfast type main courses. Normally they have a pasta option?
On HKG-LHR, they have the pasta option and the two breakfast ones but it's even more ridiculous as it is on a flight that lands into LHR at 20.30!

Also, I really hate that habit of CX to serve the second meal about 5 hours before landing on day flights, which is usually also very shortly after you barely finsh meal no 1 whilst it leaves you starving upon landing and tired as you then don't get any chance to sleep properly. Why on earth do they think it's a good idea??
sxc likes this.
Old May 22, 2019, 11:44 pm

Programs: MPC-DM, Enrich-Plat
Not wanting to derogate your opinion, though do you really want to eat a full, copious diner at midnight ? Right before night set and go to sleep ?
I assume, you do not starve yourself to near death, during the day and as such craving for food.

One of the biggest nowadays "diseases" is over eating. Assuming, you need 2200 Calories a day, I do think, you largely collected that during the day, ie, before departure. Adding another 1000-1500 Calories with a diner would not be that healthy (not to speak about the calories coming with the alcohol).

Could it be, the whole complaining about "smaller" meals, is more about "When it's included for free, and I do pay a lot for my ticket, I want to get as much as possible" ?

To be honest, I do have the impression, items like limiting jet lag effects and increasing general well-being after a LH flight are also related to reducing copious amounts of food and alcohol Not to say, when over-eating/drinking at home, it doesn't feel well either, the next day.

Even when I stay in a lounge for a long time, I largely refrain from overindulging, for both food or alcohol. I prefer to feel well AFTER arrival. All lounge consumption is "included", though, though I don't eat/drink (much) more, than at home .....
Old May 23, 2019, 12:20 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
These days, I'll take BA.

which is worst in this route for catering. Have you looked at what they serve as the 2nd meal? Also what “snacks” do they offer?
I disagree that BA is worst on this route. I took them recently from LHR, and the quality and quantity was above average. It's true that they don't have hot snacks between meals, but the noodle snacks on CX are pretty awful (packet noodles with no "bite").
clubeurope likes this.
Old May 23, 2019, 2:40 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

I honestly really don't think so... BA's catering has been taking up a notch lately.

and the second meal is still a hot breakfast..? did they change that very recently?

But yeah, in terms of snacks, BA does lag with their club kitchen (not really any hot snacks) but on red-eyes I don't anticipate getting hungry anyhow (unlike taking CX257 which is a looong flight even in J).
Old May 23, 2019, 4:03 am

I honestly really don't think so... BA's catering has been taking up a notch lately.

and the second meal is still a hot breakfast..? did they change that very recently?

But yeah, in terms of snacks, BA does lag with their club kitchen (not really any hot snacks) but on red-eyes I don't anticipate getting hungry anyhow (unlike taking CX257 which is a looong flight even in J).
bA breakfast:

Old May 23, 2019, 4:04 am

Originally Posted by sxc
I disagree that BA is worst on this route. I took them recently from LHR, and the quality and quantity was above average. It's true that they don't have hot snacks between meals, but the noodle snacks on CX are pretty awful (packet noodles with no "bite").
I disagree.
BA already cut back on their new catering service and the main course quality is not worst no better than what people say about CX. Breakfast is definitely worst.
I find the CX noodles to be ok. Not great but when compared to “nothing” on BA, it is pretty ok.
also you get the burger which BA does not have.
Old May 23, 2019, 4:10 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
I guess this is subjective but I see nothing wrong here? Certainly better than the fried noodles that is sometimes served on CX.

bA breakfast:

clubeurope likes this.
Old May 23, 2019, 4:18 am

Originally Posted by sxc
I guess this is subjective but I see nothing wrong here? Certainly better than the fried noodles that is sometimes served on CX.

that’s the ONLY choice
and note the powder eggs. It is basically the imfamous old domestic y class hot breakfast. Compared to CX which has poached eggs or at least some half decent stuff. BA is miles behind still on this route both the seat and the meals and crew service (esp cutting the HK base crew)
no wonder they only have 2 flights vs 5 on CX
Old May 23, 2019, 8:49 am
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
I agree that BA J has good food ever since they revamped their service. Scrambled eggs on CX are also powdered anyway...and the crew have been complaining to remove poached eggs from the new service (the last time I had it, they were indeed good and tasty.) I feel like most if not all airlines just don't do well for breakfast regardless of the cabin, so the main meal is more important...

BA27 which has a similar flight timing as CX254 serves a full dinner after take off if I am not mistaken, so no excuses here for CX.

The only issue I have with BA is their service is equally slow and disorganized as CX new J, and then they don't even try to stroke my ego...but the service delivery is more consistent than CX overall. (CX LHR base crew shine like rockstars, the HKG base not so much)

Originally Posted by Cambo
Not wanting to derogate your opinion
Most if not all other evening (but not late night) departures departing at similar times have a full meal - on top of my head CX 636, CX 865 (889) and CX 161 etc. Besides the sun is just setting at 10pm in Europe in the Summer and many Europeans do eat dinner at this time of day!

This is CX business class and 53 pax will likely have different needs - some would have eaten at the lounge sure but some may be coming or connecting from afar and there's definitely enough time to have a full meal, a full sleep and a full breakfast for a 12 hour long flight. The issue of this 'supper' is it is really anything but a premium service, chicken strips with rice or a chunk of grilled fish as entrees and that's it? A steak item would be welcome (and there often are, at least in old J, even on midnight 'supper' services), like what has been posted above wrt BRU-HKG. It is not about whether everyone wants to maximize or not, but there should always be the option given the premium CX charges (and pax can also opt out and go to sleep instead.)

Maybe you can work for CX management and propose that eating too much is not good for your health, let us only serve light snacks or nothing after takeoff. Cost center is happy, crew are happy!
Old May 23, 2019, 11:44 am

I agree that BA J has good food ever since they revamped their service.
Yeah, some months ago, I did an Intra-EU flight BA J, and the food was not that bad, to use a British understatement.

Scrambled eggs on CX are also powdered anyway...
Yeah, the one who invented those powdered eggs should be locked up for life.......

BA27 which has a similar flight timing as CX254 serves a full dinner after take off if I am not mistaken, so no excuses here for CX.
Don't forget the political motivated choices, where food evangelist do ponder airlines for healthy food. Unfortunately, healthy food seldom comes with good taste. Only healthy food evangelists proclaim the contrary.

The only issue I have with BA is their service is equally slow and disorganized as CX new J,

and then they don't even try to stroke my ego...

but the service delivery is more consistent than CX overall. (CX LHR base crew shine like rockstars, the HKG base not so much)
Yeah, here we have the main reason, showing off, flying F/J qualifies for copious amounts of free food and alcohol, and the meals should reflect that reality.

Most if not all other evening (but not late night) departures departing at similar times have a full meal - on top of my head CX 636, CX 865 (889) and CX 161 etc. Besides the sun is just setting at 10pm in Europe in the Summer and many Europeans do eat dinner at this time of day!
Yeah, Europe below the Dutch/French divider in Belgium do eat later in the evening, though the northern part sticks to more moderate diner timings.

Regarding your timings, BRU/AMS and as far as I do know, most ex-EU single day departure flights to HKG do depart around noon and offer a light meal, 1 hour after departure. Whether that is called "lunch" or "light meal", I don't mind.

This is CX business class and 53 pax will likely have different needs - some would have eaten at the lounge sure but some may be coming or connecting from afar and there's definitely enough time to have a full meal, a full sleep and a full breakfast for a 12 hour long flight. The issue of this 'supper' is it is really anything but a premium service, chicken strips with rice or a chunk of grilled fish as entrees and that's it? A steak item would be welcome (and there often are, at least in old J, even on midnight 'supper' services), like what has been posted above wrt BRU-HKG. It is not about whether everyone wants to maximize or not, but there should always be the option given the premium CX charges (and pax can also opt out and go to sleep instead.)
Certainly, everybody has different preferences. Being one of the 53, I am not the person to "eat"/"drink", because it's available or to show off.

I think, you mix up the "amount" of food and the "type" of the meal, with the factual qualification of the ingredient items being served. I agree with you, that the served items do lack a finishing touch now and then, so to say, be it sufficient herbs, spices, etc, or even sometimes the basic ingredients can be hit or miss. Though a copious "diner" can have the same bad basic ingredients as a "moderate" supper. To be honest, I prefer to eat a decent steak in the lounge and have a lighter and simple meal later on board.

Whatever you do with food, it's a real challenge to bring a proper taste high up in the sky, just the physiology isn't there, it's reheated, rush served, etc. Food that tastes proper on the ground, will miss the flavor, herbs, spices, etc high up in the air. Compensating these items with "extra" creates other internal body problems, though other airlines do sometimes manage to get this better than CX.

If there is one area, CX should improve, is the transformation of the "on ground" being perfect to being perfect "in the air" for the food. This is not so much of a "costs" aspect, but knowledge. Let us see, how things do develop for the new style diner experience, the upcoming year.

Maybe you can work for CX management and propose that eating too much is not good for your health, let us only serve light snacks or nothing after takeoff. Cost center is happy, crew are happy!
Sorry, I am already to busy

Apart from that, there are already enough people proclaiming the healthy food-style, though only forming a minority of the (flying) public, despite that pushing their personal agenda onto airlines. But that is how it works, nowadays. If you don't keep the political evangelist happy, get you a lot of bad press.
Old May 23, 2019, 12:04 pm

I agree that BA J has good food ever since they revamped their service. Scrambled eggs on CX are also powdered anyway...and the crew have been complaining to remove poached eggs from the new service (the last time I had it, they were indeed good and tasty.) I feel like most if not all airlines just don't do well for breakfast regardless of the cabin, so the main meal is more important...

The only issue I have with BA is their service is equally slow and disorganized as CX new J, and then they don't even try to stroke my ego...but the service delivery is more consistent than CX overall. (CX LHR base crew shine like rockstars, the HKG base not so much)

the removal of the “entree” starter is bad. However given the time of the flight it is not that bad. The BA new service can take more than 2-3 hours. For CX you can also take the soup and the salad as a starter if it is not enough.
i am pretty sure CX does not use powder eggs when compared to the pale yellow eggs served on BA.
Old May 23, 2019, 9:20 pm

the removal of the “entree” starter is bad. However given the time of the flight it is not that bad. The BA new service can take more than 2-3 hours. For CX you can also take the soup and the salad as a starter if it is not enough.
i am pretty sure CX does not use powder eggs when compared to the pale yellow eggs served on BA.
Given CX obviously miscalculated the required effort to process the new diner style in the current manual administration form, so some things had to go, to avoid meals stretching out to long. And I can imagine, LH product management at CX told their food department: "We gave you this budget with this staff: Work with it, solve your own problems"......

Having back a nice starter would be nice, though. The soup is also highly appreciated. And for me, skip the heavy main meal and serve something nice and small.

I also do not think, the CX eggs are power based. If it would be, then the result would be the watery, snotty, lumpy stuff you get sometimes at other airlines. The CX eggs do seem to be made from "liquid" egg containers, "baked" in an automated oven, in the home CX kitchen and just heated up in the air.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.