Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

New Business class service - from July 2018 - Experiences and Discussion

New Business class service - from July 2018 - Experiences and Discussion

Old Apr 26, 2019, 10:46 am

Programs: AS MVPG75k, AA Plat
Originally Posted by clubeurope
nah mate, I've had problems with catering on QR due to communications. On 10 flights I took, I asked no bread each time, yet still got bread (message didn't get through). Almost had to wait for awhile to get my preferences confirmed on fuller flights (needed to ask galley or other aisle).

Additionally i really don't get all the fuss with QR food, I frequently get dry and horrible food, particularly on flights that are not ex-DOH. Quality not any better than CX. In fact I've had better on CX's more flagship routes (though also much worst on other routes). Some airlines I find to have consistently pretty good food are JL, SQ, and BA(!?!) (on the new service routes)
IMHO SQ has worse food than QR (although BTC-ing on SQ makes it a different story). Both have hit and miss, no, mostly miss mains. But QR always has more and better desserts, a soup, the mezze, potentially a tea set, and among the light options there may be just one or two good ones. Versus SQ which has a hearty instant noodles/ noodle soup, and a slightly better than average starter.

TK has good food in J. KE's western course also nothing to scoff at.

Edit: These days SV also has good food in J.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 1:22 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, CX MPO DM
I had my first experience with the new business class service on CX219 (HKG-MAN).

I thought of testing how many items could be ordered. Could I have chosen both appetiser AND soup? Could I have cheese, fruits, dessert AND ice cream? The answer to both questions is surprisingly yes (and it was a full cabin) but I had to specifically ask for the items (i.e. they are not proactively offered).

Also wanted to know how flexible they can be - so I selected the full western breakfast option and scribbled an additional request to have yogurt with granola (which is only available as part of the continental breakfast option). I also selected 2 drinks (1 hot and 1 cold).
Breakfast service started 2 hours before landing. Strangely, those who chose express breakfast option was served first (I thought the point is to let them have time for more sleep??). My full breakfast was served 1 hour 15 mins prior to landing (that's 45 mins of waiting, not even the drink was served first), meaning the pastries were cold by then. The additional request for yogurt with granola was fulfilled, but only 1 drink was provided on the tray. Had to ask separately for the other drink. In all fairness, the tray wouldn't comfortably fit 2 drinks. Liked the breakfast card concept so hopefully the delivery gets better in the future.

​​​​​​
Old Apr 26, 2019, 1:44 pm

Programs: MPC-DM, Enrich-Plat
Originally Posted by landingpoint
.... Could I have chosen both appetiser AND soup? Could I have cheese, fruits, dessert AND ice cream? The answer to both questions is surprisingly yes (and it was a full cabin) but I had to specifically ask for the items (i.e. they are not proactively offered).​​​​​​
Yes, I had the same experience. My only comment was "they forgot", but as long as their administration is paperwork and post-it based, I understand.

Also wanted to know how flexible they can be - so I selected the full western breakfast option and scribbled an additional request to have yogurt with granola (which is only available as part of the continental breakfast option). I also selected 2 drinks (1 hot and 1 cold).​​​​​​
I did the same with 3 drinks and I got all. Did not try the extra food itself, because I was still full from the main meal. It would be nice, if one could ask for extra garlic bread.

Breakfast service started 2 hours before landing. Strangely, those who chose express breakfast option was served first (I thought the point is to let them have time for more sleep??).​​​​​​
With the express breakfast, you can sleep longer and still being served. If you wake up early, they won't force you to wait, so to say.

Last time, I woke up just over 45 mins out and still got served my full breakfast with the 3 drinks I did request. They initially did forget the pepper/salt though.

.....meaning the pastries were cold by then.​​​​​​
I once got a cold tea

In all fairness, the tray wouldn't comfortably fit 2 drinks.​​​​​​
Yep, and the table is to small to host a bigger tray, let alone, be able to have all items put on the table direct. It'll fall down.

Liked the breakfast card concept so hopefully the delivery gets better in the future.​​​​
Me to, though I seriously do hope, they automate the whole and the cabin staff gets the time to do what the whole intention of this food concept change was: More interaction with the passengers.
Every decent restaurant does nowadays have mobile ordering devices and everything "on the computer", in-stead of a manual post-it administration .....
landingpoint likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 2:04 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, CX MPO DM
Thanks for chipping in!

The part on garlic bread was interesting. I suddenly recall that there is no longer a bread selection. It was one roll for the dinner service and one croissant + danish for the breakfast service. Have you managed to get a garlic bread under the new meal service?
Old Apr 29, 2019, 11:16 pm

Flying CX from HKG-BNE two days later (2 May) in business. Will I get the new business class dining?
Old Apr 30, 2019, 11:04 am

Programs: CX Gold
Tried the new service for the first time, CDG-HKG. The service seems fast. Was seating in the mini cabin, don’t know if this affects the service. Food was great.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 7:42 pm

Programs: SQ PPS SOLITAIRE, AA ,HHONOR GOLD, BONVOY GOLD, IHG PLAT
Thanks for chipping in!

The part on garlic bread was interesting. I suddenly recall that there is no longer a bread selection. It was one roll for the dinner service and one croissant + danish for the breakfast service. Have you managed to get a garlic bread under the new meal service?
Choice of bread and dessert, it seems, has been enhanced to a First Class only option now.

Side salads are gone, too
Old May 1, 2019, 12:06 am

Originally Posted by Matthew Lee
Flying CX from HKG-BNE two days later (2 May) in business. Will I get the new business class dining?
n/a
Old May 1, 2019, 12:26 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by CommittedLurker

Choice of bread and dessert, it seems, has been enhanced to a First Class only option now.

Side salads are gone, too
wait what? side salads are gone now??

I thought they didn't remove that one...
Old May 1, 2019, 5:13 am

Programs: CX Gold
By side salad, you mean the greens that comes with the appetizers with the salad dressing in a small square plastic bottle? If yes, then I had them on my recent CDG-HKG flight.
Old May 1, 2019, 7:29 am

Originally Posted by nathjean

Will be flying MEL-HKG (777ER) in 2 days and HKG-MEL (A359) in early May.

I presume will be the old service on the way to HKG, hope to experience the new service on the way back. But someone here said that Australia flights will get new service later instead of May as originally planned.

I will leave comments after the flights. Anyone has any update?
Was it the new service on the Melbourne route @nathjean?
orbitmic likes this.
Old May 1, 2019, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by bchang

Was it the new service on the Melbourne route @nathjean?
Sorry, was too busy travelling. My MEL-HKG flight on 16th Apr was still old J class service.

Heading back in 3 days, will see if the new service has started.
Old May 1, 2019, 4:11 pm

Programs: CX Diamond / OWE
Just got off CX 845 and the new J menu wasn't too bad, although I was disappointed there was no burger option for snacks.

Breakfast came with one croissant and one danish - both were so good I asked for more. The FA came with a basket full of pastries.
orbitmic and FlyPointyEnd like this.
Old May 1, 2019, 6:54 pm

Programs: SQ PPS SOLITAIRE, AA ,HHONOR GOLD, BONVOY GOLD, IHG PLAT
Originally Posted by clubeurope
wait what? side salads are gone now??

I thought they didn't remove that one...
Occasionally they have them listed on the menu as available upon request. But not all fights have it
Old May 2, 2019, 1:08 am
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Some improvements are coming soon! For those flying to Boston this month you may have a chance to try it out.
FlyPointyEnd and boybi like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.