Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

New Business class service - from July 2018 - Experiences and Discussion

New Business class service - from July 2018 - Experiences and Discussion

Old Aug 23, 2018, 9:04 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Cambo
Today, I did AMS-HKG and the service flow was changed. The tray trolley is no longer hauled through the cabin, though left in the galley and the trays (old style with white cloth), brought to the passengers individually. I considered this to be a positive item. It's less of an assembly line and it does give some more rest in the cabin (ie no flight attendants making a lot of hasty assembly movements in the aisles). The drinks, mains and desert were still done the original way, which felt OK.
I've seen both happen - I think it depends on the crew as to what they do (and possibly on the length of the flight).
Old Aug 25, 2018, 11:03 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Crews comments on New Business class service [CX Secrets]

#9146 "STOP making crew life Horrible!
The New Business Class Service is a BIG failure! The service takes more than 3.3 hours to finish! Pax were unhappy as they waited too long and wanted to sleep. 10 full size rubbish bags were used to dispose all the plastic covers and rubbish. All the crew uniform were dirty and full of dirt, gravy and oil due to the unrealistic workload, pre-platting and lack of manpower. Crew were extremely exhausted and hated it so much and thinking of the same service again on the return sector.
Crews hands, skin were all peeling off from too much work and their legs were so tired as they walked back and forth! Disaster disaster!
All the J class crew looked like a sad, exhausted , over worked , dirty bunch of CX crew! This is pathetic and inhumane what management turned crew into. "

Carfield and royng like this.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 11:30 pm

These people who post on CX Secrets complain far too much for my liking.
Carfield likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 11:35 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by HarbourGent
These people who post on CX Secrets complain far too much for my liking.
That last post does sound somewhat hyperbolic but from a pax perspective if the service really takes 3+ hours and this is not just due to inexperience, then its going to affect us.
Carfield and royng like this.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 11:43 pm

I agree sxc that making the meal time longer would be undesirable.
I just don't like the histrionic tone of CX Secrets posters who I think are well compensated for a simple job and then complain nonstop about it without constructively trying to do their best. Like the pilots, I'd be happy for them to quit.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 9:02 am

Programs: MPC-DM, Enrich-Plat
Originally Posted by percysmith
#9146 "STOP making crew life Horrible!
The New Business Class Service is a BIG failure! The service takes more than 3.3 hours to finish! Pax were unhappy as they waited too long and wanted to sleep. 10 full size rubbish bags were used to dispose all the plastic covers and rubbish. All the crew uniform were dirty and full of dirt, gravy and oil due to the unrealistic workload, pre-platting and lack of manpower. Crew were extremely exhausted and hated it so much and thinking of the same service again on the return sector.
Crews hands, skin were all peeling off from too much work and their legs were so tired as they walked back and forth! Disaster disaster!
All the J class crew looked like a sad, exhausted , over worked , dirty bunch of CX crew! This is pathetic and inhumane what management turned crew into. "
This does not surprise me. I've been involved with timing and labor analysis (those people who are wrongly considered to create work schedules leading to overload, etc: It's not ....). I raised this issue with CX cabin crew overload a couple of months ago.

The basics aren't that difficult: Make a complete movement brake down, use a stopwatch to time, etc. Then you have your overall schedule.
Then you start inserting "resting" moments. Relatively short moments, that the body is given "nothing" to do, specially intended to let the body recover very early in the fatigue process. The big problem is, many people involved with this kind of work, simply refuse to take those micro-rests, with the argument, they don't need it. Those are the people getting into fatigue problems, later on.

Of course, when the designed schedules are abused (later on, after original design), usually by managers, to increase output, or whatever, the whole system collapse, with often pretty drastic and nasty consequences.

Looking at the CX change of the basic dining processes, without seemingly reconsidering the timing and fatigue aspects, this isn't going to last long......

When additional work is added (by de-optimizing the current timing/action optimized work flows), it needs additional staff, there is not doubt about that. More work, so it needs more people to do the work.

Looks to me, CX designed the new, customer oriented processes, without considering (ie timing) the crew consequences.

So, despite a lot of whining at CX Secrets, I consider this one to be quite genuine.......
FlyPointyEnd and royng like this.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 9:12 am

Programs: MPC-DM, Enrich-Plat
Originally Posted by HarbourGent
I agree sxc that making the meal time longer would be undesirable.
I just don't like the histrionic tone of CX Secrets posters who I think are well compensated for a simple job and then complain nonstop about it without constructively trying to do their best. Like the pilots, I'd be happy for them to quit.
I think, you are missing the boat completely. The staff is there to optimize safety, to save lives (and avoid injured people), once things do go haywire.

To be able to decide in a matter of seconds, which (pre-defined) action to initiate, etc, does require skills.

And this whole safety theatre needs quite a lot of setups, to optimize the outcome in case, etc.... For this, you need (especially in the bigger aircraft), people able to properly organize, deal with obnoxious customers, who ignore instructions, etc.

In their idle time, the same people are assigned tasks for your comfort and the companies' customer service.
royng likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 2:02 pm

806 HKG to ORD

Last week was on the return 806 HKG to ORD. The quality of the catering was much better than the outbound earlier in the month. The lunch service did take over 3 hours and it was so painfully slow. Flight attendants were runningup and down the aisles was dizzying. It was a work out for them. It appeared for both meal services, two of the staff working in First Class came back to assist, as did the purser. They crew said it was their first time with the new menu. As I said, the food quality and quantity were much better out of Hong Kong than the outbound 807 from ORD. Its clear it will take some time and serious work to refine this service. The good news for me was when I asked about garlic bread going away, one of the flight attendants magically brought me some
Salmon Salad was very tasty

Old Aug 26, 2018, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Food looks great. Thanks for the report, MADBOB !
Old Aug 26, 2018, 3:58 pm

Leave in 3 weeks on 807 in J.
Crossing my fingers things continue to improve.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 4:14 pm

Crew was not more chatty. They were more stressed in trying to learn the new system. For both crews it was their first flight with this service. Lots of confusion on who ordered what. It will take time for them to work out service and feel comfortable.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 5:07 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by MADBOB
The good news for me was when I asked about garlic bread going away, one of the flight attendants magically brought me some
I think you're over optimistic.

I highly suspect the FA brought you garlic bread from F. F will retain garlic bread. J, from everything I've heard so far, won't. From your post it sounds like F wasn't full, given FAs were coming back from F to J to help with service.

And...welcome to the CX forum MADBOB! Great first few posts.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 5:58 pm

QRC3288 thanks for your input.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 11:19 pm

Programs: BA SL, CX GR, IHG Plat Amb
Side track a bit, since when did CX cut the bottled Evian for each pax in regional J? Recently flew to ICN and found no water in my seat and my companions.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 11:34 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by SLGO
Side track a bit, since when did CX cut the bottled Evian for each pax in regional J? Recently flew to ICN and found no water in my seat and my companions.
This was never a thing? Maybe years ago, but unless I'm going crazy I don't think bottled water is part of the gig proactively in regional J. Unless often it's given to DMs, or if you ask for it.

Bottled water used to be a KA thing (even in Y) though.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.