Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

New Business class service - from July 2018 - Experiences and Discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Business class service - from July 2018 - Experiences and Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2019, 4:09 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by londonexpert

QR does not automate this and is manual. Don’t see they have any problems?

main issue is lack of resources on CX flights.

i personally have no problems they maintain the old setup just increase the quality and quantity of the ingredients and choices.
nah mate, I've had problems with catering on QR due to communications. On 10 flights I took, I asked no bread each time, yet still got bread (message didn't get through). Almost had to wait for awhile to get my preferences confirmed on fuller flights (needed to ask galley or other aisle).

Additionally i really don't get all the fuss with QR food, I frequently get dry and horrible food, particularly on flights that are not ex-DOH. Quality not any better than CX. In fact I've had better on CX's more flagship routes (though also much worst on other routes). Some airlines I find to have consistently pretty good food are JL, SQ, and BA(!?!) (on the new service routes)
Old Apr 13, 2019, 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by clubeurope
nah mate, I've had problems with catering on QR due to communications. On 10 flights I took, I asked no bread each time, yet still got bread (message didn't get through). Almost had to wait for awhile to get my preferences confirmed on fuller flights (needed to ask galley or other aisle).

Additionally i really don't get all the fuss with QR food, I frequently get dry and horrible food, particularly on flights that are not ex-DOH. Quality not any better than CX. In fact I've had better on CX's more flagship routes (though also much worst on other routes). Some airlines I find to have consistently pretty good food are JL, SQ, and BA(!?!) (on the new service routes)
wow you must be a CX apologist, how can you say that about QR? They are perfect! How dare you!!
clubeurope likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 7:59 pm

Programs: CX - DM; Hilton - Diamond, Marriott - Titanium
Originally Posted by Avishai Cohen
Any update on this?
Yes, my sister just flew back from EWR to Hong Kong this week for vacation and it was new J service she said.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 5:11 am
THR

Hello all,

have been following this thread and am curious on the service offer for our flights over Christmas.

We are on CX110/A350 SYD-HKG, before transiting to SGN. We return from HKG to SYD on 77W (with a connection leg on KA from HAN).

On the SYD-HKG-SYD legs, I assume the service will be “upgraded” by end of year? And is this genuinely an “upgrade”, or is it, as some have suggested, really just a cost saving exercise?

Thanks for any input on the legs/to from Australia and the service offer.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 5:41 am

Programs: QANTAS, Oneworld
Originally Posted by THR
My wife will be flying HKG-SYD in J on CX111 in a fortnight, and I will be doing it a month later on CX161. I’ll report on our respective experiences, and see if I can sus out what will be in place around Christmas time.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 5:58 am
THR

Originally Posted by RealityBites

My wife will be flying HKG-SYD in J on CX111 in a fortnight, and I will be doing it a month later on CX161. I’ll report on our respective experiences, and see if I can sus out what will be in place around Christmas time.
That would be great - much appreciated. Our return is CX101 but I assume the service will be largely comparable.

I know it’s a long way off but this is a holiday trip, not work, so always like to be able to set expectations 🙂
Old Apr 14, 2019, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by THR
Will be flying MEL-HKG (777ER) in 2 days and HKG-MEL (A359) in early May.

I presume will be the old service on the way to HKG, hope to experience the new service on the way back. But someone here said that Australia flights will get new service later instead of May as originally planned.

I will leave comments after the flights. Anyone has any update?
Old Apr 14, 2019, 7:38 pm

Programs: CX Gold
Originally Posted by clubeurope

Flew with QR late last year with friends. We were 5 in the group and maybe another 3 in the J cabin on a B787. Only 2 of us got the soup, not sure if the other passengers outside our group were able to get the soup.

The portions of their congee was just around 5 spoonfuls. The rest of the food on all the sectors were nothing to write home about.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 5:48 am

Originally Posted by THR
That would be great - much appreciated.
Here’s her initial comment on J food service on CX 841 (JFK-HKG).

“I’m in the Bridge Lounge at Hong Kong and have a good few hours to fill in (and fill up....we really weren’t given enough food on the flight, and the ‘brunch’ we were meant to have shortly before we arrived came a little over halfway through the flight).”

She’s now in J on CX 111 (HKG- SYD) which is currently in flight.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 6:18 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob

“I’m in the Bridge Lounge at Hong Kong and have a good few hours to fill in (and fill up....we really weren’t given enough food on the flight, and the ‘brunch’ we were meant to have shortly before we arrived came a little over halfway through the flight).”

If the menu says the second meal “served before landing” and it is served mid flight, please complain to CX. Every crew that takes this upon themselves to change the timing should be reprimanded. Mid flight meals waking the whole cabin are one of the most annoying things to happen on a flight that has cost a lot of money.
CommittedLurker likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 7:09 am

Originally Posted by sxc

If the menu says the second meal “served before landing” and it is served mid flight, please complain to CX. Every crew that takes this upon themselves to change the timing should be reprimanded. Mid flight meals waking the whole cabin are one of the most annoying things to happen on a flight that has cost a lot of money.
I never take CX841, but last time I was in CX830(HKG to JFK), second meal was served mid-flight
Old Apr 24, 2019, 7:19 am

Programs: CX Diamond / OWE

I took the CX840 (HKG to JFK) last week and I thought service and food was great. It was my first time experiencing the new J menu, and while I moan the lack of garlic bread I thought the food was surprisingly good. Brunch started about 2.5 hours before landing, so everyone had a chunky 10 hours to sleep.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 10:27 am

Programs: CX MPC DM
I've taken CX841 a few times. Dinner service is definitely mid-flight and there is no meal before landing. Breakfast/Brunch after takeoff, dinner mid-flight. The flight departs at 10AM from JFK and arrives around 2PM at HKG. If you want to eat a ton on the flight, take CX865. Dinner after takeoff from JFK. Dinner again after takeoff from YVR. Breakfast before landing.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 12:05 pm

Here’s a longer comment on both flights (CX841 + CX 111)

”Comments on my trip home:

The two seats were almost identical : mirror images, with a slightly smaller cupboard next to me - a cupboard that was just about useless...the second one in particular was extremely hard to use. They required pressing/bashing extremely hard to open. There was also a small storage bin at floor level that was useful, but I had to stow both bags in the overhead locker. I was better organised for the second leg.

Everyone else in business class on the first leg I think was Chinese. I felt a little neglected but that may have been a communication problems. The crew seemed much friendlier on the second leg. One of the clear differences was that I only seemed to be given food on the first leg that I actually requested, whereas on the second leg we were given more food, even when we hadn’t asked for it. I actually had to turn down the cheese and fruit the second time, but it wasn’t offered the first time though it was on the menu.

The food I did eat was good!”

Old Apr 26, 2019, 9:22 am

Location: JFK 🇺🇸 (mostly); YVR 🇨🇦 (a bit less); HKG 🇭🇰 (even less)
Programs: Marco Polo GR 😂😂; HHonors Gold; Ritz Carlton Gold
What's the timeline for regional flights having the new plating service or there's no planned schedule and will continue to use the existing preplated casseroles

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.