Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

New Business class service - from July 2018 - Experiences and Discussion

New Business class service - from July 2018 - Experiences and Discussion

Old Mar 24, 2019, 6:45 am

Programs: KL/AF Platinum
I confirm no new service from SYD. I took SYD-HKG on 22 March with “old” service and connected with HKG-MAD with new service. I would take the old service anyday compared with new service.
prw555 likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 11:32 am

Programs: CX MPC, EY Guest
CX 250 (LHR > HKG) in March 2019

Was upgraded from PE to J so I got to try the new J class meal service (I didn't even know they had rolled it out!)

You can find the menu on the forum here (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30800653-post30.html). I was surprised to see March's menu the same as February's!

The appetiser (Sand ginger flavoured chicken with wood ear mushrooms) was really good (real Maxim quality but fwiw an improvement from what they used to offer).
For main, I very stupidly got the Slow cooked lamb, creamy potato and leek, beans and heritage baby carrot; from previous experience I find any non chicken meat dish cooked to death twice over and smothered in sauce, so I didn't know why I expected anything else; though the side greens were surprisingly tasty.
I went straight for dessert and got the strawberry compote and was blown away by how good it was.

For breakfast I got the Western continental which was nothing to write home about; I almost wanted to get the congee, but from reading some of the comments above I guess it was the right choice to pass on it. The "cold-pressed juice" was borderline undrinkable...

Overall, I found the food a marked improvement from any of my previous CX J experiences. I'm a little sad that garlic bread is no longer on offer though. With regards to the menu presentation (newspaper style + enclosed card) I found it quite gimmicky? I don't really see how it adds to the experience, but I suppose taking breakfast orders ahead of time does save some time near the end of the flight and maximises the passengers' sleep time. The FA who came to take dinner orders on the ground made a comment when I had already filled out the card: "Oh excellent! So you must have tried our new service already!" which made me wonder how many people don't know what that card is for?

In terms of time taken to complete the service, I would say it's been quicker than usual. I was sitting in the last row of J, but at least since they got rid of the tray service, I didn't have to wait for everyone else to be served before it got to me, so a huge improvement overall.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 3:39 pm

Location: JFK 🇺🇸 (mostly); YVR 🇨🇦 (a bit less); HKG 🇭🇰 (even less)
Programs: Marco Polo GR 😂😂; HHonors Gold; Ritz Carlton Gold
Whats the rollout schedule for regional flights like or they wont be seeing the new presentation style
Old Mar 29, 2019, 3:46 pm

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Originally Posted by hl176
Whats the rollout schedule for regional flights like or they wont be seeing the new presentation style
They should at least roll it out on the HKG-SIN route as SQ plates their meals on that route.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 3:55 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, TK Elite+
HKG-LAX/SFO is on the new J service now
jkingsle and SilverChris like this.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 8:08 pm

Programs: MPCGO
Originally Posted by nov11
HKG-LAX/SFO is on the new J service now
I'm not sue how I feel about that since I have a flight to SFO in 3 weeks. I'll post some observations on my return.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 10:05 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Is SFO a SFO based crew? If so maybe the service will be better as all they do is that route so have had more practice.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 10:13 pm

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
OT: United Airlines went back casseroles

Originally Posted by sxc
Is SFO a SFO based crew? If so maybe the service will be better as all they do is that route so have had more practice.
Apparently CX Business class meals now look better than UA Polaris meals on the same route!

UA recently stopped plating their meals restaurant style in Polaris and went back to the old casserole dishes. I think the union demanded it.

While I don't suggest CX doing the same, perhaps they can consider having maybe one option on the menu that cooks well in a casserole such as a baked lasagne/pasta dish or a baked saucy/rice dish such as Portuguese coconut curry chicken rice or HK style baked pork chop rice/spaghetti. Dishes such as steak, chicken breast, fish fillet etc would continue to be heated and plated restaurant style. Maybe this can save time for the FAs?
Old Mar 29, 2019, 10:39 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by sxc
1/3 daily flights is SFO crew, the other two are normally HKG crew.

CX872/3 is the SFO crew, while the other two (892/3 and 870/9) aren't.

However, I've noticed once or twice a week CX872/873 are operated by HKG or mixed SFO/HKG crews. I'm not sure why but I suspect the base in SFO either hasn't grown or has shrunk.
prw555 likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 10:27 am

Programs: SQ PPS, AA EXEC PLAT,HH GOLD, BONVOY GOLD
Originally Posted by jkingsle

Old service on 870. IS! Wasnt sure when SFO would change. Said that LAX had new service.
I was on CX 893 on 3/23 with the new service and was told it started that week only.

I was unimpressed. No garlic bread, less dessert choice (unless you include the ice cream they had as a mid meal snack) and no more cereal choice for breakfast.

This is nothing but a cost cutting measure.

This might just be the tipping point to switch to SQ for my travels.

Carfield and prw555 like this.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 4:17 am

I'll be travelling on CX from HKG-BNE in 1 May. Can I expect it will be the new service?
Old Apr 3, 2019, 6:19 pm

Programs: CX MPC DM
Has the new service been rolled out to EWR yet? I'm on CX890 in J this Sunday Apr 4. According to that early schedule the new service should be in place but like many things seems CX is behind schedule. I'll report back after the flight if the status is still unknown.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 9:02 pm

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by synthkeys
Has the new service been rolled out to EWR yet? I'm on CX890 in J this Sunday Apr 4. According to that early schedule the new service should be in place but like many things seems CX is behind schedule. I'll report back after the flight if the status is still unknown.
Was told it was delayed from Jan to Apr, but that was awhile ago.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 9:30 pm

Programs: SQ PPS, AA EXEC PLAT,HH GOLD, BONVOY GOLD
Originally Posted by CommittedLurker
I was on CX 893 on 3/23 with the new service and was told it started that week only.

I was unimpressed. No garlic bread, less dessert choice (unless you include the ice cream they had as a mid meal snack) and no more cereal choice for breakfast.

This is nothing but a cost cutting measure.

This might just be the tipping point to switch to SQ for my travels.

Update:

I was on CX 870 on 4/4 HGK-SFO:

There was only one (Chinese) dessert option on the lunch service (used to be 1 western and 1 Chinese) and they included ice cream as an option (normally kept for mid flight snack)

So what happened ? They ran out of ice cream for the mid meal snack. Which makes sense. Anyone who didnt want the Chinese dessert opted for ice cream during lunch, and of course CX wouldnt load extra ice cream since it now serves as an option for the main meal and snack - because that would defeat the entire purpose of the new meal service, which is to cut costs

most all of the other snacks were gone too during the mid meal snack (potato chips finished and just 2 packets of the caramel popcorn were left). And this is on a very short flight time of 10:45. I wonder what would happen on long flights ?

Breakfast was pathetic as well. No cereal, no muesli. No choice of breakfast breads (the muffins are gone too).

But hey at least we have newspaper style menus and cards to fill out for breakfast !

CX is going (has gone) downhill IMO.
Carfield, QRC3288 and jsfrSE like this.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 10:39 pm

Originally Posted by CommittedLurker

Update:

I was on CX 870 on 4/4 HGK-SFO:

There was only one (Chinese) dessert option on the lunch service (used to be 1 western and 1 Chinese) and they included ice cream as an option (normally kept for mid flight snack)

So what happened ? They ran out of ice cream for the mid meal snack. Which makes sense. Anyone who didnt want the Chinese dessert opted for ice cream during lunch, and of course CX wouldnt load extra ice cream since it now serves as an option for the main meal and snack - because that would defeat the entire purpose of the new meal service, which is to cut costs

most all of the other snacks were gone too during the mid meal snack (potato chips finished and just 2 packets of the caramel popcorn were left). And this is on a very short flight time of 10:45. I wonder what would happen on long flights ?

Breakfast was pathetic as well. No cereal, no muesli. No choice of breakfast breads (the muffins are gone too).

But hey at least we have newspaper style menus and cards to fill out for breakfast !

CX is going (has gone) downhill IMO.
sorry but you are wrong. In j class they never had a Chinese option before?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.