Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

New Business class service - from July 2018 - Experiences and Discussion

New Business class service - from July 2018 - Experiences and Discussion

Old Mar 3, 2019, 10:46 am

Programs: CX GO, AC Aeroplan 25K, AMEX PLAT, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire Amb
Originally Posted by BUT777
On a recent ex EU flight, full load in J. Second meal breakfast before landing.

Two DMs (husband and wife) travelling together both chose the Chinese congee options. Orders were taken with the breakfast card at the very beginning of the flight. Before the breakfast service started, SP asked the husband to give up his choice and let the wife had it. Basically she just wanted to provide one congee to either one of them, asking courtesy from one of them to give up their first choice.

And on the same flight, a GO also ordered congee for breakfast, but she was just being told that because she already got her first choice from the first meal, so she can't have her first choice for the second meal. Crew told her only around 10+ Chinese options were being loaded, and many of the passengers already didn't have their first choices at first meal. Soup noodles on the snack menu were also emptied after the first meal. She ends up eating nothing.
Wow... Just wow...
HarbourGent likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 1:33 pm

Programs: MPC-DM, Enrich-Plat

Two DMs (husband and wife) travelling together both chose the Chinese congee options. Orders were taken with the breakfast card at the very beginning of the flight. Before the breakfast service started, SP asked the husband to give up his choice and let the wife had it. Basically she just wanted to provide one congee to either one of them, asking courtesy from one of them to give up their first choice.

And on the same flight, a GO also ordered congee for breakfast, but she was just being told that because she already got her first choice from the first meal, so she can't have her first choice for the second meal. Crew told her only around 10+ Chinese options were being loaded, and many of the passengers already didn't have their first choices at first meal. Soup noodles on the snack menu were also emptied after the first meal. She ends up eating nothing.
And this could easily be avoided, IF CX had automated the meal choice registration and does register the wishes in order of customer importance.

Let alone, load more congee meals, when you notice a lot of Asians as customers. Should not be that difficult.....
Old Mar 3, 2019, 6:05 pm

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist

Wow that's terrible...not unless the other DMs traveling on that flight all wanted the congee, there is no reason for the SP to ask a DM to give up his/her option.

For the GO, I guess it's understandable, considering there were more than 10 DMs all wanting a congee.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 6:54 pm

Programs: CX - DM; Hilton - Diamond, Marriott - Titanium
Originally Posted by FlyPointyEnd
Wow that's terrible...not unless the other DMs traveling on that flight all wanted the congee, there is no reason for the SP to ask a DM to give up his/her option.

For the GO, I guess it's understandable, considering there were more than 10 DMs all wanting a congee.
Last year, as a revenue DM in F I didn't have my first choice (which is congee) for breakfast. It was a full load with all Asian pax. Only two DMs on board including myself. FP didn't ask my preferred breakfast choice before I slept. Then I woke up (around 3 hours before landing) and 2 other pax ahead of me have ordered the congee already.
Not blaming the FP or anyone but this just shows how pathetic CX is with their F&B loading in premium cabin. If this happened to me in F, then I am not surprised at all in J.
QRC3288 and HarbourGent like this.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by HKGglobaltrotter
Last year, as a revenue DM in F I didn't have my first choice (which is congee) for breakfast. It was a full load with all Asian pax. Only two DMs on board including myself. FP didn't ask my preferred breakfast choice before I slept. Then I woke up (around 3 hours before landing) and 2 other pax ahead of me have ordered the congee already.
Not blaming the FP or anyone but this just shows how pathetic CX is with their F&B loading in premium cabin. If this happened to me in F, then I am not surprised at all in J.
Yikes, but for the new J service, passengers tick on the cards, so I would assume they would have at least had some prior information which ones the passengers would order...

I am trying the PSJ on the first week of April...fingers crossed the ORD flight isn't full yet.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 7:14 pm

Programs: MPCGO
Originally Posted by Cambo
And this could easily be avoided, IF CX had automated the meal choice registration and does register the wishes in order of customer importance.

Let alone, load more congee meals, when you notice a lot of Asians as customers. Should not be that difficult.....
Which makes me miss SQ's Book The Cook. Maybe I should attempt a status match, but it's just a hassle to make a 3 hour flight just to transit SIN, no matter how nice the airport is.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 7:23 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Suggestions for CX:
- Maybe introduce handheld devices to record the choices & options. I did have a peek in the front A350 "kitchen" and it's busy over there and the whole administration is all "paperwork", 3M gets rich from the post-its they use. That's all manual work, time-intensive and very error prone. Ground based restaurants do nowadays have automated this ordering / order-picking process ......
- Those handheld devices are an excellent way to be more interactive with the customer, making the GO/DM/OWE welcoming less of an obliged assembly line and giving the customer the real feeling that the welcome is also connected to the meal-first-choice.
- The automation would make it very easy to find out about "sold out" stuff.
From what I have read, they are already meant to be using devices to take the order and it checks inventory as it goes.

Edit: It looks like this might still be in development:

https://runwaygirlnetwork.com/2018/1...meal-redesign/
Old Mar 3, 2019, 11:44 pm

Originally Posted by sxc
From what I have read, they are already meant to be using devices to take the order and it checks inventory as it goes.

Edit: It looks like this might still be in development:

https://runwaygirlnetwork.com/2018/1...meal-redesign/
The new iPad app is undergoing testing already from what i've heard.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 11:57 pm

Programs: MPC-DM, Enrich-Plat
The new iPad app is undergoing testing already from what i've heard.
Maybe, the ISM was heavily tapping on her device, when welcoming some passengers, though the whole meal administration was paperwork, all over

Having a thought about the amount of ISM-iPad tapping, it gives me the impression of a customer unfriendly application.....

I am looking forward to the full implementation of the meal-IT.

Edit: And I am disappointed to find out, CX did roll-out the new service, without proper automation backing, and as such, making the passenger experience disappointing, as many have expressed in this thread.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 1:08 am

Maybe, the ISM was heavily tapping on her device, when welcoming some passengers, though the whole meal administration was paperwork, all over

Having a thought about the amount of ISM-iPad tapping, it gives me the impression of a customer unfriendly application.....

I am looking forward to the full implementation of the meal-IT.

Edit: And I am disappointed to find out, CX did roll-out the new service, without proper automation backing, and as such, making the passenger experience disappointing, as many have expressed in this thread.
I don't think its been rolled out to actual flights..I just heard they were already testing the app a few weeks back.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 9:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K - 2mm, AA Platinum- 2mm, Starwood Lifetime Platinum (Ambassador)
Did the new service start on March 1 as was originally planned?
Old Mar 4, 2019, 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by jkingsle
Did the new service start on March 1 as was originally planned?
For which destination? It's being rolled out since last year.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 10:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K - 2mm, AA Platinum- 2mm, Starwood Lifetime Platinum (Ambassador)
For which destination? It's being rolled out since last year.
Sorry. For SFO. Think it was announced it would be March 2019.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 10:09 pm

Originally Posted by jkingsle

Sorry. For SFO. Think it was announced it would be March 2019.
I heard there were some delays on AUS routes...but I assume it was launched for SFO last week.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 12:15 am

Programs: CX - DM; Hilton - Diamond, Marriott - Titanium
I heard there were some delays on AUS routes...but I assume it was launched for SFO last week.
I can confirm that there was no new J service on my SYD flights last week.
FlyPointyEnd likes this.

Last edited by HKGglobaltrotter; Mar 5, 2019 at 5:52 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.