Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

New Business class service - from July 2018 - Experiences and Discussion

New Business class service - from July 2018 - Experiences and Discussion

Old Nov 27, 2018, 3:44 pm

So soup service is gone?

Well if the starter courses are reduced to only one choice, I presume the soup, which many FT talkers and passengers seem to like, will be cut because the UK based crews don't like it.
Am I correct in my assumption?

Carfield
Old Nov 27, 2018, 4:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by G-CIVC
Update regarding PSJ new business class service:
Effective December 1st, there will not be any choice of appetizers anymore as the number of appetizers will be reduced from three to just one (take it or leave it). Apparently has to do with too many CC complaining and rollout of new service with LHR base.
As I see it, this newly revised service officially constitutes a downgrade on the variety front. We're back to the one appetizer as it was under the old service (unclear on if there will still be a side salad), but only a choice of three "real", hot mains as opposed to four on most long-haul non-supper flights under the old service--I don't count the burger, noodles, or other snack-like items that are now listed as mains because they are not substantial enough. Dessert is probably a wash between the two. What a complete and utter disappointment.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 4:54 pm

I think the soup and salad are offered as "Main"....

there has been loads of complaints about the insufficient choices for years now, especially in F and J.... possibly in Y too. All these reports are going unheard. These comforts, together with the hardware, should not be cut. The only people that suffers are the crew in dealing with the unsatisfied passengers.

Last edited by gear down; Nov 27, 2018 at 4:59 pm
Old Nov 29, 2018, 9:26 pm
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Yes, there won't be soup anymore for now.

Also, the 'express option' is being removed from the menu citing confusion.

European day flights (239, 279, 253) pre-arrival meal will be changed from dinner to brunch. LOL
Old Dec 1, 2018, 12:46 am

Programs: CX, BA
I'm afraid I have to agree. The special service is a good concept, but I've experienced significant delays. For some reason the system seems to fall-over when accommodating special meals (vegetarian). I've waited over an hour-and-a-half (an oversight by crew, who were full of sincere apologies) and, this week, was overlooked for dessert. The melding of routine and special meals needs work.

Having said that, the teams are doing their best to adjust to the new regime and we need to give them time.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 4:00 am

Programs: CX - DM; Hilton - Diamond, Marriott - Titanium

European day flights (239, 279, 253) pre-arrival meal will be changed from dinner to brunch. LOL
I wonder what makes LHR based crew so powerful that their complaint would warrant a reduction in appetizer choice over demand from premium pax?

I have only experienced this new J service on the redeye flight to AMS last week and have only eaten the breakfast (Chinese option). I cannot say that was an improvement in any aspect compared to the old J style. In fact the quantity has been reduced (no bread, no yogurt, etc) if you opt for the Chinese breakfast and I don't see any sort of improvement in terms of the food quality either. I did not wait for long for the food however as the set of crew did try to serve me first ahead of other pax.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 9:15 am
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
No, I definitely didn't mean that, it's more like management taking action before LHR gets converted to new service.

(My dislike of base crew, is another matter. )

If i were to guess, the base crew may have stricter terms in their contracts with regard to crew rest hours on their flights, so this might have played a part in the need to further 'streamline' the service flow to make sure it can be wrapped up in a certain amount of time after take off.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 6:57 am

Flying CX J Class MEL-HKG mid April, then returning in early May.

can I expect the new service on my way back? The table says the rollout is May 2019, does it mean from 1st of May?

Thanks.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 8:03 am

Programs: MPC-DM, Enrich-Plat

Today, ex-HKG-EUR I did have soup, there was a separate salad "dish" and the express option was there for both the supper as well as the breakfast.

The crew was brand new on the updated J meal service. Before the flight, I spoke with the ISM/SP and both asked me explicitly to give my opinion, especially because I did have the updated meal service before. Quite a lot of mistakes/forgetting or cold items. I gave them some feedback as well as heads up, after the flight, when the other J passengers already left the plane.

Seems, CX assigned more staff in J for the meal service, at least 2 crew mentioned this more then once to me. They were very happy with that.

The previous meal service type was 17+ years old, this was the first (major?) change in all these years.

I am happy with the change, a little more complicated, though it gets much faster quiet in the cabin.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 8:38 pm

Question

Anyone know what the Special Meals are like and how they are incorporated into this new service? Such as Vegan, Moslem, etc...

I am inclined to try the Indian Vegetarian from PEK-HKG, as its probably provided by Air China catering, which actually do a decent Indian Vegetarian in Economy on their flights. Any thoughts most welcome.

Cheers
Old Dec 5, 2018, 8:40 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by timesnaps
Anyone know what the Special Meals are like and how they are incorporated into this new service? Such as Vegan, Moslem, etc...

I am inclined to try the Indian Vegetarian from PEK-HKG, as its probably provided by Air China catering, which actually do a decent Indian Vegetarian in Economy on their flights. Any thoughts most welcome.

Cheers
PEK-HKG is a regional flight, and won't have this new service.
timesnaps likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by sxc
PEK-HKG is a regional flight, and won't have this new service.
Good point, forgot about that! ha...!

What about the HKG-BCN flight? They have rolled out the new service there in Nov I believe. How would the Special Meal request look like (again, likely to try the Indian Vegetarian).
Old Dec 5, 2018, 9:24 pm

Programs: MPC CXGO, IHG RA
Anyone knows how they gonna serve supper? Because if the supper service also takes like 2.5-3 hours like lunch and dinner then it is really unacceptable to me.

Also quite curious to the menu items on Australia-bound flights. These flights don't have snack item in the old style J menu so im quite afraid they won't be available to choose as a menu item in the new J class service. Leaving only 3 choices of mains on these flights.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 11:01 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Personally I wouldn’t risk ordering a special meal if you really want to experience the new service. You risk getting what would have been served in the old service tipped onto a plate.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 11:04 pm

Programs: MPC-DM, Enrich-Plat
Originally Posted by rays
Anyone knows how they gonna serve supper? Because if the supper service also takes like 2.5-3 hours like lunch and dinner then it is really unacceptable to me.

Also quite curious to the menu items on Australia-bound flights. These flights don't have snack item in the old style J menu so im quite afraid they won't be available to choose as a menu item in the new J class service. Leaving only 3 choices of mains on these flights.
Check out how the menu looks HKG-EUR and return and decide for yourself if you like the choices: New Style J Menu
I don't think, it's that bad as suggested. Having the Burger or noodles option as both snack and regular menu item is a nice thing.

I always missed the opportunity to get the Burger and now with this option as mains, I got the test done: Patty nice, bread OK, French Fries no for in the air .....

Of course no guarantees that AUS is served in the same way.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.