Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

New Business class service - from July 2018 - Experiences and Discussion

New Business class service - from July 2018 - Experiences and Discussion

Old Sep 11, 2018, 12:02 pm

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Looks like the new services are just same menu with cutting certain items from pre-landing breakfast. While I don't mind cutting yogurt etc since I never take them on the pre-landing meals, I feel the major let down is that there is basically no improvement from current JCL. Not a fan of the menu design neither.
royng likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 10:42 pm

Programs: MPC-DM, Enrich-Plat
Originally Posted by daniellam
.... I guess it's too much work for those over entitled CX FA.
How come, you get this experience, whereas I (and many others) do seem to have different experiences ?

Having less staff for the same number of passengers, immediately does have effects on the amount of "service", which can be provided. No need to blame this on an individual staff member.
royng likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 1:45 am

Originally Posted by FlyPointyEnd
Someone posted a video of the new JCL service. its a bit long.

https://youtu.be/JNsuEj08yFY
Watching through the whole of the nearly 30 minutes, I can only say, this is not the decline many raised and definitely an increase in style. It's different, though, it looks far less "economy" then it was before (think away the white cloth and there is not much difference with economy style, apart from the chinaware). Loading up a tray to the max is "economy" alike. Having more room on there, gives a better impression. Just ask for additional items when you want more and -if available- you can get.

The narrator, a 16 (?) years old teenager complains about the missing breakfast items and economy alike other items. Though, I would rate the current breakfast more to the level of the opposite of "more is better". With the restrictions, the master can be seen. It is low class to eat everything, just because you get it presented. It shows style, when you get a limited set in a not-overloaded presentation and can ask for additional (or other) items according your wishes.

I certainly would "suggest" CX to have cereals with yogurts available as a snack, some people are interested in these items, either as a mid-flight meal, or as a simple breakfast.

Menu options seem to be extended, the hamburger as a main option is very nice. Despite the menu newspaper style, I think, it's a nice item. Again different, different style, people need to get used of it, but a good alternative for the previous booklet style menu.

Complaints about all items placed on a tray can not to be solved, without a significant J class refurbishment, it simply requires a bigger table. Better have the tray, so items don't fall down, etc. So, the food department simply has to work with these limitations.

The same applies to the staff, just a limit, the food department has to live with (at least for the upcoming years).
Old Sep 12, 2018, 3:31 am

Programs: Ex-Bonvoyed, Hyatt, Hilton, BR, AC, AA
I imagine some who don't travel often will enjoy being able to keep the new CX J menus.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 7:40 am

Originally Posted by Dave510
I imagine some who don't travel often will enjoy being able to keep the new CX J menus.
As a newspaper collector ?
Old Sep 12, 2018, 2:53 pm

Programs: Ex-Bonvoyed, Hyatt, Hilton, BR, AC, AA
Originally Posted by Cambo
As a newspaper collector ?
Presumably menu collector, but newspaper collector works too
Old Sep 29, 2018, 7:21 pm
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE

Finally had my own go on 806 with the new service. It's not as bad as previously suggested or thought! I found the food quality to be improved - although it's not trying to be fancy (or fancy-sounding) by any means. Still the taste is not bad at all. The new burger is a bit weird (if it ain't broke don't fix it!) and so is the brunch with dessert replacing the yogurts and cereals and lack of bakery items, but all in all not bad.

The pressing issue is manpower. On this flight the first meal wrapped up just short of three hours (apparently the 'benchmark' that CX ISD expects), largely smooth ~1.5 hours for the 2nd meal, but this was just because 9 crew in total helped out. Almost all 50 pax ate in both instances. It was lucky that we had a half load F class, a non-demanding cockpit, as well as midflight meal in Y so crew from both cabins could help. If all three of the above weren't the case then I don't know what it might be like.

And having done the trial last year I do miss the fancier items and wines, hopefully as the ISM said 'there will be some more fine tuning and improvements' we might see some more later. But knowing this is CX, can't keep my hopes too high up...
Old Sep 30, 2018, 12:26 am

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by G-CIVC
The pressing issue is manpower. On this flight the first meal wrapped up just short of three hours (apparently the 'benchmark' that CX ISD expects), largely smooth ~1.5 hours for the 2nd meal, but this was just because 9 crew in total helped out. Almost all 50 pax ate in both instances. It was lucky that we had a half load F class, a non-demanding cockpit, as well as midflight meal in Y so crew from both cabins could help. If all three of the above weren't the case then I don't know what it might be like.
9 crew is 4 more than normal, I could just imagine on a full flight with demanding passengers and cockpit...
Old Sep 30, 2018, 9:53 pm

Programs: MPCGO
Will be flying MNL-SFO via HKG in April 2019. I am not sure whether the route will feature the new service, but I have mixed feelings about it since the old trolley service seemed to work (for me, at least).
Old Oct 4, 2018, 12:07 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob

The pressing issue is manpower. On this flight the first meal wrapped up just short of three hours (apparently the 'benchmark' that CX ISD expects), largely smooth ~1.5 hours for the 2nd meal, but this was just because 9 crew in total helped out.
For the first meal service, was that 3 hours from take off, or three hours from when they first started serving?

For the breakfast, usually they will start breakfast 2 hours before landing - was that still the case here?
Old Oct 4, 2018, 12:39 am

Finally had my own go on 806 with the new service. It's not as bad as previously suggested or thought! I found the food quality to be improved - although it's not trying to be fancy (or fancy-sounding) by any means. Still the taste is not bad at all. The new burger is a bit weird (if it ain't broke don't fix it!) and so is the brunch with dessert replacing the yogurts and cereals and lack of bakery items, but all in all not bad.

And having done the trial last year I do miss the fancier items and wines, hopefully as the ISM said 'there will be some more fine tuning and improvements' we might see some more later. But knowing this is CX, can't keep my hopes too high up...
How as the poached egg? Mine at the time was rubbery and 90% hard boiled (never thought anyone would think to poach eggs on an airplane - it's hard enough on the ground in the first place).

But this one looks fantastic...
Old Oct 4, 2018, 8:12 pm
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Originally Posted by sxc
For the first meal service, was that 3 hours from take off, or three hours from when they first started serving?

For the breakfast, usually they will start breakfast 2 hours before landing - was that still the case here?
We wheeled-up at around 1230 and by 1530 the lights were partially dimmed. In reality, a lot of pax gave up as the waiting time was a lot longer (now you can't even see where the trolley is at to gauge when the next course will come), I think only ~20 pax had cheese/fruit, another 10 gave up for dessert.

Breakfast started at 2 hours sharp with me getting the first tray. But the SP came back and told me in the end that 26K didn't get their breakfast until almost an hour later. Forget about custom drinks/juices orders.

Originally Posted by gpia
How as the poached egg? Mine at the time was rubbery and 90% hard boiled (never thought anyone would think to poach eggs on an airplane - it's hard enough on the ground in the first place).

But this one looks fantastic...
It was very good and runny, credit to the galley purser. To be honest, the food quality is actually a huge step up from the old service (except the Indian entree (sambal/curry etc) that appears on long hauls ex-HKG that I've grown to love)!
gpia likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 1:20 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
The new service has now been extended to Gatwick, Amsterdam, Frankfurt, Manchester, Paris, Johannesburg and DC. Any experiences of the service from the other cities?
Old Oct 20, 2018, 11:09 pm

Programs: CX-Gold ; LH Miles & More
new service from and to Frankfurt (CX288 and CX289) October 2018

Just had the flights from and to Frankfurt with the new service.

Overall it is a slight improvement but a challenge for the crew.
Now the menu, bottle of water and amenity kit are already placed next to the seat.

Right after the boarding (before take off) you already have to order the drink (served together with the warm nuts) and the whole first menu (choose in between 3 starters, 6 main courses and then the finishes (cheese / fruits / ice cream / dessert). They also offer a “express lunch” – 3 courses served together but you can not mix with other starters or main dished from the “regular menu”.
So there is not much time to study the menu and to choose the meals.
I do not know how CX handle "overbooked" items. Most likely they do not load each possible dish for everyone. The crew records each order written on a paper. After they got all orders they most liekely check back in the galley if they are able to all fulfill orders or if they have to go back to passengers and have to ask for a change.

After take off it took 40 minutes until they served the drink together with the warm nuts. I was in row 11 so I was the first one … maybe the last row got the drink 60 minutes after take off. Another 40 minutes later they served the starter …. again another 50 minutes later the main course with an apologize that it took so long … considering these times I was happy that I did not order some finish. So the whole lunch took longer than in the past and they are not flexible anymore.
Presentation of the food looks better than in the past. Taste was o.k. but my “warm” barley was cold.

Breakfast also has to be ordered in advance.
Choose in between Chinese breakfast, Western breakfast, Continental breakfast (starting around 2 hours before landing) or “express breakfast” (warm pastry selection) they bring 1 hour before landing).

Positiv:
taste was slightly better, presentation was also slightly better, some more choices for starters and mains (but yes, for the mains CX just shifted the already in the past available snacks (burger and soup) into the mains)

Negativ:
all takes longer, at least my main course was cold, no salad and no garlic bread (or other bread alternatives) and no dessert option (only one now) anymore.

I recommend that CX serve the first drink with the nuts in the old style with the trolley instead of bringing each drink and nuts individual. So the order process is at least a little bit easier and the crew would also have some more time for preparing and serving starters / mains.

And here are some pictures:
CX288 FRA to HKG

first drink with warm nuts after take off

starter (smoked salmon tartare)

starter (smoked salmon tartare) - taste was good

main course (warm barley with pumpkin, etc.) - mine was not warm but cold

express breakfast (warm pastry selection) - was o.k.

CX289 HKG to FRA

express supper (with mushroom soup and black forest trifle) - taste was good

Western breakfast with poached eggs

Western breakfast with poached eggs (they were perfect)

Last edited by Christian2011; Oct 21, 2018 at 12:59 am Reason: wording
Old Oct 21, 2018, 1:38 am

Location: JFK 🇺🇸 (mostly); YVR 🇨🇦 (a bit less); HKG 🇭🇰 (even less)
Programs: Marco Polo GR 😂😂; HHonors Gold; Ritz Carlton Gold

Is the F-esque plate where the toast is on part of the new service or just a one off case?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.