Wiki Posts
Search

Cathay Pacific Crew Diversity

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2018, 6:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
Cathay Pacific Crew Diversity

Has anyone noticed that the crew on board are less diverse than before? I do recall a few years back, you get a nice mix of cabin crew from Philippines, Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia, Taiwan, India, Singapore, Korea and Japan....not just the senior crew members but also BCs and FPs. I remember flying with a SP who was from Sri Lanka before (although she did say she's only 1 out of a handful with CX)

Lately I've noticed more local BCs and FPs. Just wondering if its a government mandate to hire locally or from China (I believe KA even has a PVG base now)?
Old Jun 21, 2018, 10:31 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum
A pertinent and well-founded observation. If HK is going to be Asia's World City then you need the best talent from all of Asia. It is also problematic relying solely on local hires (and especially, PRC origin crew) if the crew training isn't as rigorous as the SQ programme so the uncivilised and ignorant aspects of PRC manner are filtered / beaten out before they enter service...
Old Jun 21, 2018, 11:17 pm

Programs: CX Diamond / SQ Gold / Bonvoy Platinum / Hyatt Globalist / Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by FlyPointyEnd
Lately I've noticed more local BCs and FPs. Just wondering if its a government mandate to hire locally or from China (I believe KA even has a PVG base now)?
It's all about cutting costs. Local cabin crew are cheaper for the company - that's what I've been told.
royng likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 11:48 pm

Originally Posted by Psychiatrist
It's all about cutting costs. Local cabin crew are cheaper for the company - that's what I've been told.
wait what?
HK;ers are happy with a lower salary compared to Indians, indonesians and phillipinos?
Old Jun 21, 2018, 11:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by Kachjc
wait what?
HK;ers are happy with a lower salary compared to Indians, indonesians and phillipinos?
Filipinos.... hehehe I'm surprised they haven't tried establishing a local base in MNL with the amount of flights from MNL, they can pay local rates too.
clubeurope likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 12:35 am

Originally Posted by FlyPointyEnd
Filipinos.... hehehe I'm surprised they haven't tried establishing a local base in MNL with the amount of flights from MNL, they can pay local rates too.
Good point - they could outsource crewing to "Cathay Crewing Services Ltd of Manila" and then pay much less. Shipping companies do this sort of thing all the time.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 12:40 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Yah
”i just served you” in mandarin was fully heard in row 72 after a last minute flight change when i seemingly have pressed the bell twice in close succession with a nap in between.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 12:55 am

Originally Posted by kaka
Yah
”i just served you” in mandarin was fully heard in row 72 after a last minute flight change when i seemingly have pressed the bell twice in close succession with a nap in between.
Always makes sure you take down names in those scenarios.
kaka and royng like this.

Last edited by sxc; Jun 22, 2018 at 1:04 am Reason: Remove prejudiced comment.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 1:11 am

Diversity is always Good and CX should stop discriminating against other countries.

I can see why KA is mostly HK staff but CX is a global airline...
kaka likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 1:18 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
There is a labour law in HK that employees can only be from overseas if it is proven the job needs skills that HK people can't provide. Would probably be difficult to prove there aren’t enough HK people who want and are able to be flight attendants.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 2:25 am

Originally Posted by sxc
There is a labour law in HK that employees can only be from overseas if it is proven the job needs skills that HK people can't provide. Would probably be difficult to prove there aren’t enough HK people who want and are able to be flight attendants.
Just say they need a certain number who speak Tagalog/Malay/Indonesian/Thai blah blah - language skills are a genuine occupational requirement which enable those laws to be circumvented. Or as others have suggested, base crew abroad.
kaka likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 8:15 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
The reason is because legacy contracts (ie those for some current ISMs) offered much better pay incentives (monthly vs hourly) and lots of housing/other types of allowances. Some of them are also, well, ...having a much better lifestyle as they are married and might even just be flying because they love their job, and hence why they excel at it (heck, on a recent flight of mine, my ISM was chatting with me about wanting to send her daughter to my college, it costs like what US$80k+ a year!)

Whereas BCs that join nowadays from foreign countries only receive housing stipend until their 6th (or shorter? I'm not sure, but it's not long) year, and they have to fend for themselves after. That is partly a reason why many leave and the turnover within BC rank is so high. As some points of comparison, it currently takes 10 years and increasingly more for the average non fast-track BC to be promoted to FP.

Since 2015 (if I'm not mistaken) BCs that sign a long-term contract after their first 3 years, face a salary ceiling - at the same time when promotion to FP takes longer and longer and longer (don't forget the new aircraft now requires fewer and fewer SP/FP etc), and forget about how much the cost of living increases in HK year over year. Outport allowances, a crucial part of their salary, are getting cut more and more in tandem with shortened layovers (for example, most European patterns are now 4-day ie only ~24 hours stay at outport - a 4D MAD earns them less than 120 EUR), 10 minutes less briefing time at HKG since this year - yet another pay cut, etc etc...

Some 'foreign' crew also have 'uglier' rosters due to their language requirement/ability having to operate flights to their native countries, which often are not the ones with much allowance whatsoever (ie tons of JP/KR flights).

But to clarify, within mainline CX there are NO cabin crew recruited from the PRC, and there will not be either in the foreseeable future.

Altogether, it just isn't very surprising why CX fails to recruit local let alone foreign talent than how they used to decades ago.
royng and patrickw like this.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 11:26 pm

Programs: FreeAgent; DL Silver; IHG Diamond/ Ambassador
Originally Posted by G-CIVC
The reason is because legacy contracts (ie those for some current ISMs) offered much better pay incentives (monthly vs hourly) and lots of housing/other types of allowances. Some of them are also, well, ...having a much better lifestyle as they are married and might even just be flying because they love their job, and hence why they excel at it (heck, on a recent flight of mine, my ISM was chatting with me about wanting to send her daughter to my college, it costs like what US$80k+ a year!)

Whereas BCs that join nowadays from foreign countries only receive housing stipend until their 6th (or shorter? I'm not sure, but it's not long) year, and they have to fend for themselves after. That is partly a reason why many leave and the turnover within BC rank is so high. As some points of comparison, it currently takes 10 years and increasingly more for the average non fast-track BC to be promoted to FP.

Since 2015 (if I'm not mistaken) BCs that sign a long-term contract after their first 3 years, face a salary ceiling - at the same time when promotion to FP takes longer and longer and longer (don't forget the new aircraft now requires fewer and fewer SP/FP etc), and forget about how much the cost of living increases in HK year over year. Outport allowances, a crucial part of their salary, are getting cut more and more in tandem with shortened layovers (for example, most European patterns are now 4-day ie only ~24 hours stay at outport - a 4D MAD earns them less than 120 EUR), 10 minutes less briefing time at HKG since this year - yet another pay cut, etc etc...

Some 'foreign' crew also have 'uglier' rosters due to their language requirement/ability having to operate flights to their native countries, which often are not the ones with much allowance whatsoever (ie tons of JP/KR flights).

But to clarify, within mainline CX there are NO cabin crew recruited from the PRC, and there will not be either in the foreseeable future.

Altogether, it just isn't very surprising why CX fails to recruit local let alone foreign talent than how they used to decades ago.
I had always thought as a child flying CX during the 80s and 90s that it was the one true pan-Asian airline with their diverse crew and many 5th freedom routes. How times have changed!

I remember seeing CX ads about the diversity of their crew. They used to advertise heavily on Reader's Digest, AsiaWeek, etc., and there was this ad where they had their crew wearing the national costumes of their respective countries. I think the caption at the bottom read "...our cabin crew hail from 12(?) different Asian lands..." I thought that was really impressive.
kaka likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 11:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
They dont hv to import from prc. There are enough of them in the universities in hk who dont speak a reasonable amount of english -actually noone does, after 20 years of brainwashing on china china china china china only until the last 2-3 years where the problem is taken public.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 12:27 am

Cathay boasting of its racial diversity....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.