Applying different FF programs by leg

Old Jun 18, 18, 10:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, AA Plat, HHonors Diamond, National Executive
Applying different FF programs by leg

Apologies in advance if this shouldn't be in the CX forum.

I've got an itinerary flying roundtrip on CX from YVR-HKG-XMN. I typically use my Alaska MP FF for CX flights, but the HKG-XMN leg is in CX Dragon which do not accrue miles on ASMP. I noticed that in the CX website, it looks like it allows me to apply different FF#'s by leg, so I was thinking of adding my AA FF on the Dragon legs. Has anyone done this before and had any issues? It's not many miles, so I wouldn't want to cause any complications for a low set of miles.

Thanks.
Old Jun 18, 18, 4:30 pm

Location: Hongkong, China / Manila, Philippines / California, USA
Programs: CX MPO AM / AA / Marriott / Shangri-La
I've done something similar, where Its LAX-HKG-MNL on PE but say the HKG-MNL (due to plane availability) is only Y so the LAX-HKG, i'd credit it to my main FFP, AA, and the HKG-MNL, i'd credit it to CX MPO, since it has better value to me (including keeping the MPO alive) than crediting an economy seat to AA.

Typically if it was LAX-MNL, i'd tell the counter to credit the flight to AA first and the next leg to CX, while say if it was the reverse, MNL-LAX, i'll have them credit it CX first (if the flight is Y only) and the long haul to AA. Just doublecheck on your boarding pass.

Note though if you have a better status on one FFP over the other this may impact your changes for things like OP-UP.
Old Jun 18, 18, 6:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cartman7110 View Post
I've done something similar, where Its LAX-HKG-MNL on PE but say the HKG-MNL (due to plane availability) is only Y so the LAX-HKG, i'd credit it to my main FFP, AA, and the HKG-MNL, i'd credit it to CX MPO, since it has better value to me (including keeping the MPO alive) than crediting an economy seat to AA.

Typically if it was LAX-MNL, i'd tell the counter to credit the flight to AA first and the next leg to CX, while say if it was the reverse, MNL-LAX, i'll have them credit it CX first (if the flight is Y only) and the long haul to AA. Just doublecheck on your boarding pass.

Note though if you have a better status on one FFP over the other this may impact your changes for things like OP-UP.
It looks like the CX website allows you to enter in FF#'s by leg? Have you tried that before without issue?
Old Jun 18, 18, 6:50 pm

Programs: AA,CX, BA, Priority Club, SPG, Hilton
Originally Posted by seatownflyer View Post
It looks like the CX website allows you to enter in FF#'s by leg? Have you tried that before without issue?
Interesting, I was reviewing this past weekend. The new CX system allows FFP by legs or switch to "same FFP" on all legs. I have no issue switching back and forth, ie from MPO to BA, and back to MPO, finally back to BA. No issue encountered. Just curious, why don't you try yourself, it's pretty easy to do it online.
Old Jun 18, 18, 10:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K 0.7MM, Marriott PLT, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
The easiest way is manual crediting, with the potential loss of any FFP benefits.
Old Jun 18, 18, 11:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT & 4.28 MM, QR PLT, SPG LT PLT
Apologies in advance if this shouldn't be in the CX forum.

I've got an itinerary flying roundtrip on CX from YVR-HKG-XMN. I typically use my Alaska MP FF for CX flights, but the HKG-XMN leg is in CX Dragon which do not accrue miles on ASMP. I noticed that in the CX website, it looks like it allows me to apply different FF#'s by leg, so I was thinking of adding my AA FF on the Dragon legs. Has anyone done this before and had any issues? It's not many miles, so I wouldn't want to cause any complications for a low set of miles.

Thanks.
When I want to do this (which I do from time to time), I change the FF number at the gate for each flight. Request that they reprint your boarding pass, too; so you'll have documentary evidence in case there's a foul-up.
Old Jun 19, 18, 12:57 am

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
I did it by phone or agent (tst office). Works perfectly. Example. Flew jfk yvr hkg. Check in at
jfk. Both boarding passes are printed. Aa emerald on yvr hkg and Alaska number on jfk yvr.

(Jfk yvr in I class and yvr hkg in r class - I am both Alaska and aa top elite)

I put different number for every segments for my 14 sectors tickets and the boarding pass printed correctly (only ay codeahare on qr and aa has problem posting)
Old Jun 19, 18, 11:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Fly2Where View Post
Interesting, I was reviewing this past weekend. The new CX system allows FFP by legs or switch to "same FFP" on all legs. I have no issue switching back and forth, ie from MPO to BA, and back to MPO, finally back to BA. No issue encountered. Just curious, why don't you try yourself, it's pretty easy to do it online.
Yes, will give it a shot. I was just concerned as to whether this would cause any issues where the long haul flights get credited to AA rather than AS.
Old Jun 19, 18, 3:20 pm

Programs: AA,CX, BA, Priority Club, SPG, Hilton
Yes, will give it a shot. I was just concerned as to whether this would cause any issues where the long haul flights get credited to AA rather than AS.
Just make sure each of your boarding pass showed the respective airlines.