FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Cathay Pacific | Cathay (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-cathay-487/)
-   -   Applying different FF programs by leg (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-cathay/1915049-applying-different-ff-programs-leg.html)

seatownflyer Jun 18, 2018 10:18 am

Applying different FF programs by leg

Apologies in advance if this shouldn't be in the CX forum.

I've got an itinerary flying roundtrip on CX from YVR-HKG-XMN. I typically use my Alaska MP FF for CX flights, but the HKG-XMN leg is in CX Dragon which do not accrue miles on ASMP. I noticed that in the CX website, it looks like it allows me to apply different FF#'s by leg, so I was thinking of adding my AA FF on the Dragon legs. Has anyone done this before and had any issues? It's not many miles, so I wouldn't want to cause any complications for a low set of miles.

Thanks.

cartman7110 Jun 18, 2018 4:30 pm

I've done something similar, where Its LAX-HKG-MNL on PE but say the HKG-MNL (due to plane availability) is only Y so the LAX-HKG, i'd credit it to my main FFP, AA, and the HKG-MNL, i'd credit it to CX MPO, since it has better value to me (including keeping the MPO alive) than crediting an economy seat to AA.

Typically if it was LAX-MNL, i'd tell the counter to credit the flight to AA first and the next leg to CX, while say if it was the reverse, MNL-LAX, i'll have them credit it CX first (if the flight is Y only) and the long haul to AA. Just doublecheck on your boarding pass.

Note though if you have a better status on one FFP over the other this may impact your changes for things like OP-UP.

seatownflyer Jun 18, 2018 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by cartman7110 (Post 29880325)
I've done something similar, where Its LAX-HKG-MNL on PE but say the HKG-MNL (due to plane availability) is only Y so the LAX-HKG, i'd credit it to my main FFP, AA, and the HKG-MNL, i'd credit it to CX MPO, since it has better value to me (including keeping the MPO alive) than crediting an economy seat to AA.

Typically if it was LAX-MNL, i'd tell the counter to credit the flight to AA first and the next leg to CX, while say if it was the reverse, MNL-LAX, i'll have them credit it CX first (if the flight is Y only) and the long haul to AA. Just doublecheck on your boarding pass.

Note though if you have a better status on one FFP over the other this may impact your changes for things like OP-UP.

It looks like the CX website allows you to enter in FF#'s by leg? Have you tried that before without issue?

Fly2Where Jun 18, 2018 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by seatownflyer (Post 29880561)
It looks like the CX website allows you to enter in FF#'s by leg? Have you tried that before without issue?

Interesting, I was reviewing this past weekend. The new CX system allows FFP by legs or switch to "same FFP" on all legs. I have no issue switching back and forth, ie from MPO to BA, and back to MPO, finally back to BA. No issue encountered. Just curious, why don't you try yourself, it's pretty easy to do it online.

garykung Jun 18, 2018 10:07 pm

The easiest way is manual crediting, with the potential loss of any FFP benefits.

Dr. HFH Jun 18, 2018 11:23 pm

Originally Posted by seatownflyer (Post 29878863)
Apologies in advance if this shouldn't be in the CX forum.

I've got an itinerary flying roundtrip on CX from YVR-HKG-XMN. I typically use my Alaska MP FF for CX flights, but the HKG-XMN leg is in CX Dragon which do not accrue miles on ASMP. I noticed that in the CX website, it looks like it allows me to apply different FF#'s by leg, so I was thinking of adding my AA FF on the Dragon legs. Has anyone done this before and had any issues? It's not many miles, so I wouldn't want to cause any complications for a low set of miles.

Thanks.

When I want to do this (which I do from time to time), I change the FF number at the gate for each flight. Request that they reprint your boarding pass, too; so you'll have documentary evidence in case there's a foul-up.

pbd456 Jun 19, 2018 12:57 am

I did it by phone or agent (tst office). Works perfectly. Example. Flew jfk yvr hkg. Check in at
jfk. Both boarding passes are printed. Aa emerald on yvr hkg and Alaska number on jfk yvr.

(Jfk yvr in I class and yvr hkg in r class - I am both Alaska and aa top elite)

I put different number for every segments for my 14 sectors tickets and the boarding pass printed correctly (only ay codeahare on qr and aa has problem posting)

seatownflyer Jun 19, 2018 11:01 am

Originally Posted by Fly2Where (Post 29880640)
Interesting, I was reviewing this past weekend. The new CX system allows FFP by legs or switch to "same FFP" on all legs. I have no issue switching back and forth, ie from MPO to BA, and back to MPO, finally back to BA. No issue encountered. Just curious, why don't you try yourself, it's pretty easy to do it online.

Yes, will give it a shot. I was just concerned as to whether this would cause any issues where the long haul flights get credited to AA rather than AS.

Fly2Where Jun 19, 2018 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by seatownflyer (Post 29882988)
Yes, will give it a shot. I was just concerned as to whether this would cause any issues where the long haul flights get credited to AA rather than AS.

Just make sure each of your boarding pass showed the respective airlines.