Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Why can't AsiaMiles see all of AA / LATAM award space?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2016, 3:04 pm
Original Poster

Hey guys,

Sorry if this question has been asked before. I did a quick search but could not find anything...

I have run into this more than a few times - AsiaMiles always sees less award space on AA and LATAM flights than BA Executive Club and AAdvantage.

I was looking at a flight from LAX to SFO today. Both AA and BA online tools show 1 or 2 seats available in J on 3 or 4 flights on the day I'm looking at in November. But when I called Marco Polo to book, they do not see availability on any AA flight that day?!

I have never run into this with QR, BA, JL or CX's own flights, but see this frequently with AA and LATAM. Does anyone share a similar experience or know the reason behind?

I have heard it could be due to the lag time with CX's system refresh. Or it could just be that they do not see as much availability as other programs...

Many thanks in advance!
Old Sep 7, 2016, 12:28 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
1. Make sure you're looking at direct flights, not connections on BAEC (not sure if this is a problem on Aadvantage, I never use that to spy AA/LA availabliity)

2. If no flights seats (not less seats) this suggests AM agents are not searching properly. One common issue is they see a four-digit flight number and automatically presume they're looking at codeshares, and report they're seeing no flights that day. Ask specifically whether there are a) flights but no seats or b) no flights that day. If (b), ask about each specific AA/LA flight.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 5:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by kalikidd05
Both AA and BA online tools show 1 or 2 seats available in J on 3 or 4 flights on the day I'm looking at in November.
It is First Class in a 2-class aircraft. So priced at J award.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 6:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by percysmith
1. Make sure you're looking at direct flights, not connections on BAEC (not sure if this is a problem on Aadvantage, I never use that to spy AA/LA availabliity)

2. If no flights seats (not less seats) this suggests AM agents are not searching properly. One common issue is they see a four-digit flight number and automatically presume they're looking at codeshares, and report they're seeing no flights that day. Ask specifically whether there are a) flights but no seats or b) no flights that day. If (b), ask about each specific AA/LA flight.
So I called back three times - english line only as both the cantonese and mandarin lines are busy.

All agents told me that the two specific flights are not showing on the screen. In other words, it's not that it's showing but says no availability. the flights are not showing at all. the flights are AA 1737 and AA 356, so either three an four digits.

Anyone know how I can talk to the agent to get them book it? I tried asking them to pull up the flight with flight number directly. One agent said she can only search by route and day. The other agent said she tried but it shows no flight?!

There are also some inconsistencies with their answers. One agent said a couple morning flights are available in J, while the other two said no flights available at all that week

I checked seatmap for both flights - wide open with not a single business class seat sold... so award space should be available in theory... totally confused here...

Last edited by kalikidd05; Sep 7, 2016 at 6:55 am
Old Sep 7, 2016, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by kalikidd05
There are also some inconsistencies with their answers. One agent said a couple morning flights are available in J, while the other two said no flights available at all that week
The first agent seems to know what s/he's doing. Some POS issue then. Keep trying.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 2:43 am

Programs: QR Gold, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, GHA Titanium, Taj Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Gold Elite
Over the past month almost all LATAM availability has disappeared if one searches via BA and Qantas. I called up AM and even they can't see any. It's probably because LATAM has changed their FFP. Has anyone else experienced this while trying to book LATAM with Asia Miles in the past month? Have you had any success?
Old Jun 3, 2018, 5:46 pm

LATAM: Is it only their international availability? I still see SCL-LIM for April, but can't see anything SCL-AKL/SYD/MEL nor SCL-MAD for the matter.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 6:58 pm

Programs: QR Gold, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, GHA Titanium, Taj Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Gold Elite
Originally Posted by percysmith
LATAM: Is it only their international availability? I still see SCL-LIM for April, but can't see anything SCL-AKL/SYD/MEL nor SCL-MAD for the matter.
I don't see any from/to SCL/LIM-JFK/LAX. There was ample availability more than a month ago and then it just disappeared.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 1:02 am

Encountered a slightly different issue yesterday. The first agent can't see Business award availability of an AA flight (3-digit AAXXX) which showed have SAVVER seats in AA.com and EF. HUCA solved the problem.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 10:18 am

HUCA worked like a charm for me. I was trying to book SCL-IPC return for 2 pax in J. BA showed 7 seats available for redemption booking but Asia Miles agent #1 could only see 1 seat available. Agent #2 could see 2 seats and I promptly booked the ticket. But award tickets for NA to SA are still not showing up anywhere - Asia Miles, BA.com or Qantas.com.
percysmith likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.