Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Remind me not to fly CX out of ORD again

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Remind me not to fly CX out of ORD again

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2018, 10:12 pm

Programs: AA Exp, Radisson VIP, Expedia OneKey Platinum, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amex Plati
Originally Posted by Himeno
All international arrivals at ORD are into T5. The US carriers and some others then tow the aircraft over to the other terminals for departures.
And your point is....? The OP was talking about flying OUT of ORD. So the fact that all ARRIVALS are into T5 is irrelevant.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 10:35 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, CX Green
Originally Posted by hockeystl
Has Cx finally got the chronic delays smoothed out for Cx807?

Also isn’t there an intra terminal bus you can take to T5 from a domestic connection in T3, etc?
It appears CX delayed CX806 by 5 minutes (which is annoying because now it is officially later than the UA flight meaning more queue at CBP) to smooth out connections and increased the block time of each direction by ~30 mins. So in recent days block time is ~90 mins longer than actual flight time.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 11:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
deleted

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Jun 12, 2018 at 11:17 pm Reason: duplicate.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 11:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Himeno
All international arrivals at ORD are into T5. The US carriers and some others then tow the aircraft over to the other terminals for departures.
I don't think this is correct. The Canada transborder flights and anything else such as DUB that does CBP preclearance shouldn't go to the international terminal.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 9:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I don't think this is correct. The Canada transborder flights and anything else such as DUB that does CBP preclearance shouldn't go to the international terminal.
EI, EY and others that use pre-clearance DO arrive at Terminal 5, although they arrive as domestic flights. Although it is still not possible to take the airside shuttle from T5 to T3 for connections. Only the other way.
rufflesinc likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 3:45 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
I am flying ORD to HKG in a few weeks on a Thursday. Originating at ORD and hand baggage only.

So I should check-in on-line, go through TSA in T3, use the Flagship Lounge in T3, and then go over to T5 for the CX flight?

Assuming I have all that right, it is an airside transfer from T3 to T5 on a bus that leaves from different gates in T3, but there is a mid-day break so the driver can go to lunch (but no one seems certain of the times)?

Per https://www.flychicago.com/ohare/myf...s/default.aspx

International Connections

The International Terminal 5 is not connected to the domestic terminals and is accessible via the Airport Transit System (ATS)​. If you arrive on a domestic flight and must connect to an international flight, you have two options: 1.) you can take the ATS and pass through the security checkpoint in Terminal 5 or 2.) you can take a Terminal Transfer Bus (TTB) from Terminal 3 to Terminal 5 and bypass the security checkpoint in Terminal 5. The Terminal Transfer Bus service is year round with operation hours as follows: 10:00 am - 8:30 pm. If you are arrivng into the domestic terminals and need to collect your luggage (exit the security side of the airport) and recheck in T5, you will not be able to use this service. Terminal Transfer Bus (TTB) Terminal 3 Pickup Locations
  • Gate G17
  • Gate K20
  • Gate L24
If you arrive at O'Hare on an international flight and have a connecting domestic flight, you will arrive at Terminal 5 and will need to take the ATS to the domestic terminals. You will need to clear security again at the domestic terminals. ​
Thx.

Last edited by Always Flyin; Jul 15, 2018 at 5:05 pm
Old Aug 5, 2018, 1:12 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Only had carry-on bags so checked-in on-line and printed out my boarding pass.

Went through PreCheck in T3 and used the Flagship Lounge.

Rather funny. The agent at the AA lounge said, "Cathay is way better than we are." Who am I to disagree? But the AA lounge is far better at ORD.

Was told the shuttle bus driver takes lunch from 1:30 to 2:30. So at 2:20 I show up at the bus counter at K20 only to be told that the bus will not actually start-up again until 2:50 (CX departure is at 3:30).

The bus arrives at 2:50 and we all board. Make one stop at what I think was G17, but no one else boards the bus.

Arrive in T5 at 3:05. Decent walk to the CX gate.

As I am walking, CX calls to ask where I am [nice]. I tell them I am two minutes away and others on the bus, behind me, are coming for the flight as well.

Arrive at the gate, docs checked, and board.

All worked.

For those seeking a little less stress in life, I would suggest taking the 1:00 bus over, which will give you far too much time in the BA Lounge, but no rush.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 1:20 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by Always Flyin
For those seeking a little less stress in life, I would suggest taking the 1:00 bus over, which will give you far too much time in the BA Lounge, but no rush.
Thanks for the post!

I'm doing a separate ticket on AA into ORD, arriving around 11am, with hand luggage only. So I'll plan to enjoy the Flagship Lounge for about 2 hours, then take the 1pm bus over to T5.

Does anyone know how far it is from the BA lounge to the CX gate?
Old Aug 28, 2018, 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by aztimm
Does anyone know how far it is from the BA lounge to the CX gate?
I don't believe CX owns a particular gate at ORD, although in my experience they have always left from the central area (M8-M11) and the BA lounge (best avoided) is before M12.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 2:19 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
I don't believe CX owns a particular gate at ORD, although in my experience they have always left from the central area (M8-M11) and the BA lounge (best avoided) is before M12.
If the BA lounge is best avoided, should I just hang out at the gate area? Or is the BA lounge at least a little better than that? I'd assume they'll at least have drinks and some snacks.
After the Flagship lounge, before getting on the CX flight to HKG (where I'm sure they serve a full meal), I can't imagine I'd need much.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 2:33 pm

A little better than that, but only a little.

Sometimes, at T5 check-in I've been given "invitations" to other lounges. They are not much better than BA, but at least the AF-KL lounge has windows...

PS Post 18 says CX now uses Gate M15.

Last edited by SeeBuyFly; Aug 28, 2018 at 3:00 pm
Old Aug 28, 2018, 5:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP, MR LT PPE, Arise Mucci des Hommes de Fer
Originally Posted by 5khours
TSA at Terminal 5 is a CF.
BA F lounge is a dump.
Hard and soft product were Ok but what's with the miniature footwell.
As a UA 1K you have the option of flying UA out of T1 with pre check and a larger lounge. I find the service on CX far superior to AA and UA to Asia. The staff in the BA F lounge is outstanding. Yes small and crowded at times but enjoyable if you get there early enough. YMMV.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 5:10 am

Programs: MPCGO
Originally Posted by aztimm
If the BA lounge is best avoided, should I just hang out at the gate area? Or is the BA lounge at least a little better than that? I'd assume they'll at least have drinks and some snacks.
After the Flagship lounge, before getting on the CX flight to HKG (where I'm sure they serve a full meal), I can't imagine I'd need much.
The J lounge of BA at ORD is a dump. Food is mediocre and limited and the staff surly. I actually left early as it started to fill up and got stuffy and claustrophobic. Got a burger and beer at the food court while waiting for the boarding call.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by mbamejia
The J lounge of BA at ORD is a dump. Food is mediocre and limited and the staff surly. I actually left early as it started to fill up and got stuffy and claustrophobic.
The lounge wasn't claustrophobic; but you may have been....
Old Aug 30, 2018, 7:12 am

Programs: MPCGO
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
The lounge wasn't claustrophobic; but you may have been....
Claustrophobic can be a noun describing a place or situation inducing claustrophobia, not just the condition nor the person...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.