Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Remind me not to fly CX out of ORD again

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Remind me not to fly CX out of ORD again

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2018, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
When the ORD overhaul is done Terminal 5 will be the sad outpost where domestic airlines with no connecting / transfer traffic are located: Delta, Frontier, Spirit, Alaska, etc. It is a bad facility well-removed from the rest of the O'Hare complex. In the new world CX will gate with its OW brethren at AA's T3 or the new Global T2. Give it a few years and we'll all be happier.
rufflesinc and wrp96 like this.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 12:27 pm

Programs: Skywards Platinum
Don't fly CX out of ORD again!!!

I am surprised nobody reminded you.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 1:36 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
I'm not sure what's wrong with ORD. As some of you know I fly in and out of ORD with CX every month or two.

The staff are the loveliest over all outposts (rumor is, although some have pointed out otherwise, this is the only outstation where all of them are CX and not outsourced employees) - they have truly gone out of their way to help me whenever I needed it. On all aspects. The lounge sucks, yeah, but the service by the ground staff makes up for it. I miss them so much I can't wait to see them again, in fact!!!

The onboard catering is the best among all outstations (as are the other DO&CO-catered outstations)

I can understand the experience might be different for non-elites and those without GE, but frankly, there are a lot more worse outstations for CX than ORD (and definitely some within America). The relocation from M11 to M15 last year tho, is another story, but it's a few extra steps only after all...
rufflesinc and Hottub Cowboy like this.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 2:22 pm

Programs: CX Diamond (OW Emerald), former SQ Krisflyer Gold
Hard product at ORD T5 is among the worst ever. TSA checkpoint, fully agree it is one of the worst you will ever find. Not just within the US, but anywhere in the world.

Lounge is a joke. It's not the worst lounge I've been to, but given that ORD is a big city, it should be much better.

However, CX ground staff at ORD are one of the best teams I've ever dealt with. I don't fly there very often, maybe once or twice a year but the senior ground staff there know me by name and are always happy to see me again. Note that I am not DM and don't travel First Class so there's nothing about me that warrants this treatment, but they give it anyway. If CX ground staff were like this everywhere, travel would be so much more pleasurable.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 4:42 pm
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by MADPhil
Ah, thanks! They've obviously expanded it since I first joined GE.
MADPhil likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 4:48 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, CX Green
Without check in baggage you can actually go directly to T3 and clear TSA there. Then you can use the flagship lounge and take the T3-T5 shuttle to get you to the gate. I found it much more enjoyable than going through T5 TSA and having the mediocre lounge.
hockeystl likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 3:00 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, DL SkClub LT, Marr LT Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diam
Has Cx finally got the chronic delays smoothed out for Cx807?

Also isn’t there an intra terminal bus you can take to T5 from a domestic connection in T3, etc?
Old Jun 11, 2018, 3:02 am

Originally Posted by 5khours
That's what I normally do. Thought I'd give CX a try. Mistake.

Who said that.
you literally blamed the airports problems on CX....
Old Jun 11, 2018, 3:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by Kachjc
you literally blamed the airports problems on CX....
You must have mis-read what I wrote.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by hockeystl
Has Cx finally got the chronic delays smoothed out for Cx807?

Also isn’t there an intra terminal bus you can take to T5 from a domestic connection in T3, etc?
I believe that is only available for the BA flights. AA/BA have a JV while AA/CX do not.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 1:50 pm

Programs: Cathay MPC, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Domestic Airline Nobody
You take a tram from T5 to T3. Once you are out of immigration, you go up the stairs/escalator to the tram.

I take CX807 maybe 2-3 times per year, and while it might at times leave late, I can't recall ever being late by much (if at all), and usually arrive a little early. They seem to makeup time in the air.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by headinclouds
I believe that is only available for the BA flights. AA/BA have a JV while AA/CX do not.
It used to be BA only, but now it's airport run and available for all airlines.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by Gongzuokuang
You take a tram from T5 to T3. Once you are out of immigration, you go up the stairs/escalator to the tram.
Be aware that due to construction, currently the train between T5 and T3 isn't operating every day of the week (I think it's only running on weekends) and instead you have to wait for a shuttle.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 5:52 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by wrp96
Be aware that due to construction, currently the train between T5 and T3 isn't operating every day of the week (I think it's only running on weekends) and instead you have to wait for a shuttle.
The buses run (and the train does not) Monday through Friday. At T5 they depart from outside the arrivals level.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 9:23 pm

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by arabiamark
Might be worth flying JAL since I believe they use T3. So you get Flagship Lounge, etc.
All international arrivals at ORD are into T5. The US carriers and some others then tow the aircraft over to the other terminals for departures.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.