Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Marco Polo Club
Reload this Page >

Are dm members still getting bottle of evian water before take off?

Old Jun 6, 18, 12:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Cathay Pacific

As my previous J class flight from HKG to BKK at the end of May, I didn't see anyone distributed bottle of water to the diamond or emerald members, at least the guy who sit next to me didn't get one, I assumed he is diamond or emerald because ISM came across to greet him after take off. Anyone experienced recently?
Old Jun 6, 18, 2:53 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Gold, GE
This ego-boosting ritual of bottled water is more prevalent in Y, not J
Old Jun 6, 18, 3:18 pm
Moderator: Cathay Pacific Asia Miles and Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by G-CIVC View Post
This ego-boosting ritual of bottled water is more prevalent in Y, not J
Probably not for short haul anyway.
Old Jun 6, 18, 6:18 pm

Programs: GFF Plat, CX DM, SQ TPPS, AS 75K
Definitely not. There was another thread that got me thinking about this and I realized I had taken around 20 Flights refently and never once did they offer the water.

The one time I did ask, all they had was a bottle of sparkling water so maybe they don't even stock it on board anymore
Old Jun 6, 18, 7:38 pm

I got a bottle of Evian on a short sector from TPE - HKG about 10 days ago. I was seated in Y.
Old Jun 6, 18, 8:11 pm

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
I think it is bottled water offered in Y, got it every single time.

Never once got offered a water at KA J, occasionally offered at CX long haul J, occasionally offered at CX long haul PEY.
Old Jun 6, 18, 8:28 pm

Programs: Marco Polo
Seated in 11 K from HKG to SIN and saw FA in red uniform taking out two bottles from F locker and marching to the back of the aircraft. ISM came over to greet with no water, I asked for one bottle and she later came with two bottles, gave me one bottle and someone else the other. So I guess they don't proactively offer to those in J?
Old Jun 6, 18, 9:03 pm

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
On short flights I think Evian is on request, although there were occasions when the crew gives them proactively.

On MNL and TPE flights, I heard they don't load them anymore, but I was once presented with the sparkling water in the blue bottle.
Old Jun 6, 18, 9:20 pm

Programs: MPC Inv
I fly frequently HKG -MNL in Y and get upgrade on 50% of the flights and sometimes a 2 level upgrade. On the remaining 50% traveling in Y the treasured bottle appears 70% of the time.Never a problem to provide if not offered if senior is asked.
Junior crew more difficult and I dont press.
Old Jun 7, 18, 12:21 am

Programs: MPC-DM, Enrich-Plat
Looks to me, the whole Evian (and other "expensive" water brands), is just a snobbery item.

Personally, I buy the cheapest water I can get in the supermarket, currently something like Dasani. And it taste better then Evian.
Old Jun 7, 18, 12:37 am

Originally Posted by Cambo View Post
Looks to me, the whole Evian (and other "expensive" water brands), is just a snobbery item.

Personally, I buy the cheapest water I can get in the supermarket, currently something like Dasani. And it taste better then Evian.
That's comparing apples and oranges. Or at least apples and pears. I don't like the taste of Evian much either, but it's still far better than drinking water.

On the topic: Thinking of the last few flights with DMs: no water in J, but always in Y. Greetings were the same.
Old Jun 7, 18, 12:42 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by gpia View Post
That's comparing apples and oranges. Or at least apples and pears. I don't like the taste of Evian much either, but it's still far better than drinking water.

On the topic: Thinking of the last few flights with DMs: no water in J, but always in Y. Greetings were the same.
Looks to me, the whole Cathay (and other "expensive" airlines), is just a snobbery talks.

Personally, I buy the cheapest ticket I can get online that sells water, currently something like aeroflot or hk express. And it has better service then Cathay.

Water aside, my mate claims he got food poisoning yesterday (starting around noon) having flown HX on Monday evening in J, and suffering a delay on ground.
Old Jun 7, 18, 2:43 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Originally Posted by Cambo View Post

You are aware that Dasani (like Bonaqua in Hong Kong) is tap water in a bottle? Paying the Coca-Cola company money to put tap water in a single use plastic bottle seems the height of both snobbery and environmental vandalism!
kaka likes this.
Old Jun 7, 18, 3:04 am

Programs: MPC-DM, Enrich-Plat
Originally Posted by christep View Post
You are aware that Dasani (like Bonaqua in Hong Kong) is tap water in a bottle? Paying the Coca-Cola company money to put tap water in a single use plastic bottle seems the height of both snobbery and environmental vandalism!
Tap water does have a very broad meaning. Can be cleaned and highly chlorinated river water as well as water drawn, completely clean, from underneath sand-dunes as well as from deep water layers.

Most bottling companies do use some kind of naturally clean water from deep wells and/or the sand-dunes situation. So, what is the difference ?
Depending on where I am, I happily drink tap water or I use bottles (either big 10L or 1.5L). Usually depends on the amount of chlorination.

Bad for the environment: Sure. I prefer tap water, though when not possible, I need to divert to something else, usually the 10L or 1.5L bottles.

Bad for the environment: Sure, I prefer recycled bottle ware, though many governments got themselves lobbied away from that with the best option to have recycling of the plastics installed. I wish the reality is different.
Old Jun 7, 18, 3:38 am

Programs: SPG Platinum
CX really should start using Vos.
kaka likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: