Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Marco Polo Club
Reload this Page >

BA flight transfer to CX flight - hand carry size?

Old May 31, 18, 9:31 am
Original Poster

As we know, BA allows a larger hand carry than CX. It also allows a further smaller bag.

Question then is - what happens if I were to transfer from a BA to a CX one? Will the larger hand carry be allowed? Or will it be gate checked?

Thank you.
Old May 31, 18, 10:08 am

Programs: Bonvoy Victim, Shangri-La GC Diamond, CX MP DM, EK Gold
Originally Posted by IncyWincy View Post
As we know, BA allows a larger hand carry than CX. It also allows a further smaller bag.

Question then is - what happens if I were to transfer from a BA to a CX one? Will the larger hand carry be allowed? Or will it be gate checked?

Thank you.
I have some second-hand experience as an associate was flying HKG-LGW-ANU recently and the checked / cabin baggage situation was very interesting.

BA allow AA style cabin baggage. CX do not. If you check it in, CX will check through. But on your way home BA will not check through. This person needed to through-check or carry on for lack of a UK visa. What ended up happening was that on the way out he checked it through with CX all the way HKG-LGW-ANU. On the way back he carried it on as BA will not through-check (separate tickets). At the gate in LGW CX wanted to gate check it but load was light so in the last minute they let him carry it on. He was on discounted eco and has zero OneWorld status.

Take-aways:

- Technically CX carry on limitations will apply no matter what.
- CX staff, at least in LGW seem to have this issue often because the people choosing BA-CX connections at LGW probably do it so they can TWOV and CX in true CX style will handle the situation gracefully.

Having said that if you have items that you need to have access to (medicine) or cant gate check (diamonds) I would put them into my personal item and segregate them from your large carry on because if the CS flight is full or you get someone at the gate who hates you the official word is that CX limits apply. There is no published exception.

Last edited by forumpersona999; May 31, 18 at 10:13 am Reason: Clarify that pax had no status

Search this Thread
Search Engine: