Wiki Posts
Search

CX AE Elite changes

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2018, 10:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX ows, DL E+
CX AE Elite changes

My friend who was traveling today went to the PPL Arrival in HKG's T2 today.When he went to the airside lounges, he was denied access, as PPL seems to have revised its policy for CX AE Elite cardholders, despite they promote that it has unlimited access. I went to the arrival lounge myself today and asked the attendant for the new policy. He said that under the new policy, cardholders can only enter 1 PPL per calender day, e.g., I enter a PPL in TPE, I cannot use the Arrival PPL in HKG (or at least that is how I interpret his explanation)

Any other members can confirm or comment on this matter?
Old May 29, 2018, 4:11 pm

That's what the Ts & Cs say at https://www.americanexpress.com/hk/e...laza-network/: "Cardmembers of ... American Express Cathay Pacific Elite Credit Card ... are eligible to enjoy either a complimentary lounge access or 15 minute seated massage or shampoo and blow-dry services (“Offer”) once per day."

Once per day = one visit per day.

You also get a Priority Pass membership with 4 visits per year which you could use for the PPL Arrivals. Also the PPL Arrivals accepts a number of other cards, I think I've used my Citibank Premium Miles card there too.
Old May 29, 2018, 7:15 pm

Programs: MP, BR
The surprised part is PPL actually tracking and enforcing this rule.
Old May 29, 2018, 8:36 pm

Programs: Lowly CX & IHG
I noticed the rule from the beginning (few years ago) so never tried double entry; thus never been to the (infamously crowded) east lounge.
I wonder how they handle the case of arriving the day after (aka many long hauls) and if you visit another airside lounge after midnight before a 1am departure etc.

PPL needs to swipe the credit card used and get signature during entry (likely so that they can receive the entrance fee from the credit card partner)
Thus it is fairly easy to track through their system and ensure they get their revenue from all entries.
Old May 29, 2018, 8:40 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by watery
I noticed the rule from the beginning (few years ago) so never tried double entry; thus never been to the (infamously crowded) east lounge.
The West lounge is also ridiculously crowded. So all their lounges are infamously crowded at HKG. I feel sorry for those who use these lounges on account of their airline using them as contract lounges.
Old May 29, 2018, 9:01 pm

Programs: Lowly CX & IHG
I agree that the West lounge is ridiculously crowded now (I think a meal at Cafe de Coral outside is more worthwhile), however it seems PPL blocks off some areas for the contracted airline customers, so hope they are less affected; and the blocking somehow contributed to the crowdedness of the general area. True victim is anyone who buys access with cash (or actually anyone?)
Back to OP was the access to PP Arrival with an outbound ticket? If so I didn't know it could work, and ex-HKG this could be a less crowded option.
kaka likes this.
Old May 29, 2018, 9:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CX ows, DL E+
I wonder how they handle the case of arriving the day after (aka many long hauls) and if you visit another airside lounge after midnight before a 1am departure etc.

PPL needs to swipe the credit card used and get signature during entry (likely so that they can receive the entrance fee from the credit card partner)
Thus it is fairly easy to track through their system and ensure they get their revenue from all entries.
I've used the card to enter multiple PPL on my trips in Feb, Mar, Apr and May on the same day.

I think arriving from long haul flights, you'll be allowed to enter the arrival lounge, as long as your flight arrives the next day from your departure date.

I think they revised to enforce it (at least at HKG) is because last time I went, both East and West Hall were filled with people, and really seemed like a food court than lounge.

Taken last trip in HKG outside the new East Hall Lounge, near Gate 1, on 1st May

I agree that the West lounge is ridiculously crowded now (I think a meal at Cafe de Coral outside is more worthwhile), however it seems PPL blocks off some areas for the contracted airline customers, so hope they are less affected; and the blocking somehow contributed to the crowdedness of the general area. True victim is anyone who buys access with cash (or actually anyone?)
Back to OP was the access to PP Arrival with an outbound ticket? If so I didn't know it could work, and ex-HKG this could be a less crowded option.
Yep it works, I done it every time last year using Priority Pass, and this year using CX AE
Old May 30, 2018, 1:48 am

Programs: MP, BR
Originally Posted by Sozee
I've used the card to enter multiple PPL on my trips in Feb, Mar, Apr and May on the same day.

I think arriving from long haul flights, you'll be allowed to enter the arrival lounge, as long as your flight arrives the next day from your departure date.

I think they revised to enforce it (at least at HKG) is because last time I went, both East and West Hall were filled with people, and really seemed like a food court than lounge.
Correction - it's worse than a food court.
Old May 30, 2018, 2:30 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Passages of Contracted airlines get to use a separate part of the lounge
Old May 31, 2018, 8:11 am

Programs: CX DM, SPG Pt, Le Club Accor GO, Shangri-La GC Jade
Originally Posted by kaka
Passages of Contracted airlines get to use a separate part of the lounge
Who still use PPL as contracted lounge? JL moved to QF lounge (and that's great because then I can use QF lounge in the morning with nice Japanese food served and quiet environment, though staff was not as friendly in the morning as in the evening....)… Sorry off topic....

Previously when flights depart from Gate 4x I may go PPL west lounge but yes, too crowded nowadays and I've returned to the Bridge...
Old May 31, 2018, 6:13 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Asia Miles Air China
Sadly CX AE Plats don't get access to AMEX Centurion Lounge

Sadly on my last visit to HKIA I decided to visit the AMEX Centurion Lounge thanks to hearing good things, but CX AE Platinums don't get access. Must come up quite a bit as there is a display on the front desk letting people know which cards allowed entry.

The helpful lady on the front desk recommended the next door PPL, so I wandered off to the CX First Pier.

With regard to the above post by sscywong (apologies this is an edit so cannot quote), the QF lounge deliberately employed Japanese chefs to do the menu, not sure if food preparation as well, but personally have had far better Japanese food, at least according to my personal taste.

Last edited by Nicc HK; May 31, 2018 at 6:18 pm Reason: Spelling
Old May 31, 2018, 8:39 pm
Suspended

Etihad, perhaps
Old May 31, 2018, 9:03 pm
Suspended

Etihad, perhaps
Old May 31, 2018, 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by Nicc HK
Sadly on my last visit to HKIA I decided to visit the AMEX Centurion Lounge thanks to hearing good things, but CX AE Platinums don't get access. Must come up quite a bit as there is a display on the front desk letting people know which cards allowed entry.
I am confused about what card you are talking about. The grey-ish CX Amex card is not platinum - it is called “Elite” instead. No *credit* card has access to the Centurion lounge. It is only accessible by Platinum charge cardholders and Centurion Cardholders. Plantinum credit card is not eligible.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 4:04 am

Programs: AAdvantage Asia Miles Air China
Originally Posted by CXYYZ
I am confused about what card you are talking about. The grey-ish CX Amex card is not platinum - it is called “Elite” instead. No *credit* card has access to the Centurion lounge. It is only accessible by Platinum charge cardholders and Centurion Cardholders. Plantinum credit card is not eligible.
My understanding is the CX AE Elite is the equivalent status of platinum, at least that is what AE explained to me.

As for access, what you wrote is exactly what the lady on the desk explained to me. Shame, heard it was pretty good.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.