Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

New Club year - surprise [“Free” Diamond for 2 years]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Club year - surprise [“Free” Diamond for 2 years]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2018, 7:05 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Just as a reminder, MPC used to do lifetime for 7 years consecutive Diamond. Sadly they stopped that in about 2001 when I was about 3 years down that road
Old Jun 3, 2018, 10:16 am

Programs: CX DM, SPG Pt, Le Club Accor GO, Shangri-La GC Jade
Originally Posted by brunos
On the other hand granting lifetime status to someone who is still a very active business pax has drawbacks. Once lifetime, there is no more incentive to fly exclusively CX to reach status. Pax can easily choose other airlines, when attractive, as they don't need to reach status but will still enjoy benefits on cheap CX Y flights.
This is always the dilemma faced by FFP program, mind it hotel or airline... To me actually I would prefer a reduced renewal threshold over a perpetual lifetime status... Like once you achieve 10 years DM the renewal requirement is cut to say 600 CPs, and can be cut further after achieving more years of DM.... Guess this could strike a balance on that but seems not much FFP does this
Old Jun 5, 2018, 2:31 am

Programs: NH Diamond, JL JGC Diamond, BA Gold Guest List(Gold for life), CX Diamond
Another data point of the same treatment.
I received a diamond membership card that is valid through May 2020 yesterday.
I have never credited CX flights to CX ffp since 2015.
kaka likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 3:03 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Wasabi Tofu
What is your CX membership history? eg how many years previously for Diamond?
Old Jun 5, 2018, 4:28 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Wasabi Tofu
I'm looking for the "gobsmacked" emoticon here! Looks like my timing was crap - just too late for the Diamond for life after 7 years, then 8 years of Diamond, and now nothing, having credited no flights to MPC since 2009 simply because MPC doesn't understand the concept of loyalty!
Old Jun 5, 2018, 6:05 am

Programs: NH Diamond, JL JGC Diamond, BA Gold Guest List(Gold for life), CX Diamond
Originally Posted by sxc
What is your CX membership history? eg how many years previously for Diamond?
I forgot to mention.
I was a diamond member from 2002 to 2015, consecutively.
My lifetime club miles are nearly 2,000,000 miles.
kaka likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 6:24 am

Programs: CX MPC DM
With 2 reports now seems there is an internal marketing push to try and win back business lost after to 2016 MPC changes.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 10:30 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF Gold
Originally Posted by synthkeys
With 2 reports now seems there is an internal marketing push to try and win back business lost after to 2016 MPC changes.
While I will certainly not be getting one of these cards, I do believe this is a very smart move by CX management to coax old loyalists back to the mothership. In comparison to what it costs them to do this, they will have a lot more to gain from this initiative.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 8:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mdevans
Having changed roles and then taken a career break, I was resigned to finally dropping to green from the end of June. I

Received a letter from Marco Polo today with what I assumed would be my green cards.

This wouldnt be a suprise and I have no complaints. Being on a career break I've barely travelled and then mainly on discount fares.

So major qudos to CX to recognising my 2m+ miles over 20 years and bumping me back to Diamond for 2 years!

Either that or they realise my boys will be of university age very soon and this is an astute move to keep my flying dollars firmly on CX metal.

Regardless, fantastic move by CX / Marco Polo
alas. they finally realized 2mm is some dedication as compared to some pvg/tpe diamonds
Old Jan 26, 2019, 8:54 pm

Programs: Cathay Lifetime Diamond
Back ‘in the day’ prior to (from my memory) between the early eighties and mid-nineties, and of course prior to major airline alliance programs, if one achieved the highest then status for several years in a row your wife (I don’t believe partner) was also given the same status including a card in her name and I assume also v.v.
This privilege was discontinued (as was my then marriage) but I do believe that it was a very effective marketing tool that definitely in promoted long term loyalty.
I was pondering that In these days where couples and their off-spring often travel independently for both work and leisure would it be an effective tool to offer to long term ( say continuous 10 years) DM’s the same sort recognition for their long term partners and also possibly limited green cards for their elidable children. These cards to be useable only on CX flights and of course expire if the members DM status changed .

Certainly to do so would generate a lot of good will and very possibly long lasting good will that at very little cost would probably put profitable ‘bums on seats’ for years.

BTW The extended OCH family inc. ex wives etc. are all active club members and some now with high status and I suspect this all dates back to the time where continuous loyalty was well recognised and well rewarded.
kaka and QRC3288 like this.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 5:23 am
Suspended

That's essentially what Diamond Plusses get now isn't it?
Old Jan 27, 2019, 9:54 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by christep
just the partner, no?
Old Jan 27, 2019, 2:52 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
I think he meant more for the Life members back 20 years ago.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 4:12 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
DMP gets to nominate an extra Diamond member, yeah.

Just in general I support oldchinahand's recommendation for CX to somehow acknowledge 10+ consecutive year Diamonds...no selfish motivation at all whatsoever....😎

I guess if you're counting lifetime high level loyalty though, there are ultimately only a few ways to do it:
*Lifetime spend
*Lifetime total miles
*Consecutive years of DM
oldchinahand likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 4:20 pm

This is good news. At least one airline is looking at customer loyalty.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.