Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

New Club year - surprise [“Free” Diamond for 2 years]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Club year - surprise [“Free” Diamond for 2 years]

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2018, 3:02 am
formerly ssw207

Programs: BAGld, JLJGC, TK*G, EK-G, HH Dia,IHG Amb-PE, Bonvoy Gd, Shangrila DM
Yet another reason not to fly with these jokers.
They have never learned after the AMEX Centurion DM comp debacle.
Old May 30, 2018, 4:40 am

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.
Originally Posted by ffs852
Yet another reason not to fly with these jokers.
They have never learned after the AMEX Centurion DM comp debacle.
i still fly with them. i just make sure i buy N/Q fares and use their premium resources like locus, or buy ex-XXX I fares most recently cheaper than ex HK econony fare.

but double standard will bite them back
Old May 30, 2018, 4:41 am

when Cathay does something Good- "management has failed"

when Cathay does something bad - "management has failed"

the CX forum is arguably the most toxic against its own airline....

it is a no win situation for CX
kaka, lkrt and AdmiraltyAve like this.
Old May 30, 2018, 5:04 am
formerly ssw207

Originally Posted by Kachjc
when Cathay does something Good- "management has failed"
when Cathay does something bad - "management has failed"
the CX forum is arguably the most toxic against its own airline....
it is a no win situation for CX
Tell that to the shareholders. Do 10 things wrong and 1 thing right and expect for a praise?
Old May 30, 2018, 5:07 am
formerly ssw207

Originally Posted by sxc
@oldchinahand I think we both agree that CX has made this move to help their business. However the implication from you is that they are doing this on a discretionary basis just because @mdevans is a loyal passenger in the past.
I believe that the motivation is due to negative impact from changes to the Marco Polo Program. If business was booming, and they could see positive incremental value post the program changes, I doubt they would be giving free status to any members. Because if they really wanted to reward years of loyalty, why not have a formal lifetime status program?
Many of us were loyal customers in the past and probably spent quite a lot with them too. But sorry the best MPC can do is extend our Green Membership for one year as a courtesy.
Old May 30, 2018, 5:32 am

Programs: Lowly CX & IHG
Originally Posted by fakecd
i still fly with them. i just make sure i buy N/Q fares and use their premium resources like locus, or buy ex-XXX I fares most recently cheaper than ex HK econony fare.

but double standard will bite them back
Would you still fly N/Q or buy ex-XXX I fares if CX comps you DM as loyalty?
Just thinking if we expect CX to treasure those who spend future money...
Old May 30, 2018, 9:57 pm
formerly ssw207

Originally Posted by watery
Would you still fly N/Q or buy ex-XXX I fares if CX comps you DM as loyalty?
Just thinking if we expect CX to treasure those who spend future money...
I tried to spend money with CX in business. Booked in 773 long haul business, and guess what? they pull an EQV and I get the old 772.
Old May 30, 2018, 10:20 pm

Programs: Lowly CX & IHG
I agree that regional business seats are a genuine pain point
although it's so painful that even having DM doesn't help much

(not very relevant, by the time OP flew 2m+ miles the current cirrus J/cradle Y may not have existed most of the time)
Old May 31, 2018, 1:21 am

Programs: CX Life Time,TG,
OLDCHINAHAND must have been given life time membership no later than 1998. At that time I believe that H G Wells could not have dreamed of the current long haul business class seat. However the business class seat then used was far superior to the fifth rate current regional offering.
Old May 31, 2018, 2:43 am

Programs: ex-UA 1K, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by sxc
I believe that the motivation is due to negative impact from changes to the Marco Polo Program. If business was booming, and they could see positive incremental value post the program changes, I doubt they would be giving free status to any members. Because if they really wanted to reward years of loyalty, why not have a formal lifetime status program?
I second your opinion and I think business conditions are also the motivation behind the soon to be seen changes in Asia Miles. Increased award availability remains to be seen but the biggest "devaluation" came on redemptions with partner airlines which makes sense as the airline is able to sell more expensive tickets as the plane reaches capacity. Perhaps this is also a way to appease those who are going to suffer in 3-4-3 seating on the 777.
Old May 31, 2018, 2:53 am

Originally Posted by triplefives
I second your opinion and I think business conditions are also the motivation behind the soon to be seen changes in Asia Miles. Increased award availability remains to be seen but the biggest "devaluation" came on redemptions with partner airlines which makes sense as the airline is able to sell more expensive tickets as the plane reaches capacity. Perhaps this is also a way to appease those who are going to suffer in 3-4-3 seating on the 777.

no one is suffering....
people want 3-4-3

THE market ( aka customers) has forced CX on to 3-4-3

SLOSAR/TYLER etc used to all boast about having 3-3-3 but customers punished CX for having the better offering
kinda like this forum- no matter what CX does, apparently couches form the 80's were more comfortable than today's beds in business class....
kaka likes this.
Old May 31, 2018, 3:07 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Kachjc
no one is suffering....
people want 3-4-3

THE market ( aka customers) has forced CX on to 3-4-3

SLOSAR/TYLER etc used to all boast about having 3-3-3 but customers punished CX for having the better offering
kinda like this forum- no matter what CX does, apparently couches form the 80's were more comfortable than today's beds in business class....
Let's not go off-topic. Further posts like this in this thread will be deleted.

sxc
Cathay Pacific Moderator
Old May 31, 2018, 4:22 am
feh

Programs: Cathay Pacific, Air Astana
I like the idea of Lifetime MPC Membership, even though I suspect I'd have some time to go before I got close.

What would be the equivalent requirement on CX if it was benchmarked against BA Lifetime?
Old Jun 3, 2018, 4:20 am

Programs: CX DM, Accor Platinum, Discovery Titanium, Bonvoy Gold, Ultima
Originally Posted by feh
I like the idea of Lifetime MPC Membership, even though I suspect I'd have some time to go before I got close.

What would be the equivalent requirement on CX if it was benchmarked against BA Lifetime?
23 years at minimum threshold for BAEC Gold gives you Lifetime. So Cathay could do 20 years at DM for example.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 5:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by sxc
@oldchinahand I think we both agree that CX has made this move to help their business. However the implication from you is that they are doing this on a discretionary basis just because @mdevans is a loyal passenger in the past.

FFP are not to reward loyalty in the past but to induce loyalty in the future. And we all agree that CX makes any such move to help their business.

And they know that long-time members reach semi-retirement or retirement but then they have influence on family travel and money to spend on leisure travel.
Many airlines have lifetime status. Making it public gives a double incentive. First fly more with CX while active to reach that lifetime objective. Second, keep flying CX thereafter to enjoy status benefits. Having a selective policy as illustrated above is interesting but of limited scope. I agree with sxc that making it a public policy might offer greater benefits to CX, and maybe that's the way they will go. On the other hand granting lifetime status to someone who is still a very active business pax has drawbacks. Once lifetime, there is no more incentive to fly exclusively CX to reach status. Pax can easily choose other airlines, when attractive, as they don't need to reach status but will still enjoy benefits on cheap CX Y flights.

PS: AFKL do lifetime for consecutive ten years at Plat level.

Last edited by brunos; Jun 3, 2018 at 6:50 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.