Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Asia Miles Changes effective 22 June 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 24, 2018, 4:03 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: percysmith
New links:
New redemption engine: https://www.asiamiles.com/en/redeem-awards/flight-awards/facade.html
(alternatively https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_HK/book-a-trip/redeem-flights/facade.html for MPO members)
New redemption charts (CX and KA only): https://www.asiamiles.com/en/redeem-awards/flight-awards/flight-award-chart.html
New partner redemption mileage requirement: https://www.asiamiles.com/en/afr.html

Asia Miles changes microsite:
https://www.asiamiles.com/change/

New Terms and Conditions:
https://www.asiamiles.com/change/en/updatedterms.html
Print Wikipost

Asia Miles Changes effective 22 June 2018

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2019, 12:55 pm

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by fakecd
can you "merge" waitlisted PNR to the cleard PNR so not having to issue? i think u can seperate 2 segment PNR to two but not sure reverese
PNRs can never be merged and I think CX stopped allowing one redemption to be applied to multiple PNRs in 2012 when they migrated from CUPID to Amadeus. Not sure if there's any change, though.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 5:12 pm

Ultra-long AM CX-only award: BOS-HKG-JNB ?

Can one book a BOS-HKG-JNB CX-only award ticket as a single Ultra-Long trip (transit only in HKG)? Ie., 85k OW in Business? Or must this route be booked as a set of two distinct shorter-mileage awards? Anyone done this successfully?
Thanks in advance.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 7:46 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by Maribago
Can one book a BOS-HKG-JNB CX-only award ticket as a single Ultra-Long trip (transit only in HKG)? Ie., 85k OW in Business? Or must this route be booked as a set of two distinct shorter-mileage awards? Anyone done this successfully?
Thanks in advance.
You can do it as one 85k award. I've never done it but you can search online for it and it shows 85k. 90k on partners through other hubs like QR via DOH.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 1:56 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Thanks in advance.
i had been rejected in january, had to ticket as 2x oneway. it worked last year tho.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 4:37 am

Originally Posted by kaka

i had been rejected in january, had to ticket as 2x oneway. it worked last year tho.
Did they give you any reason? Asking as i am planning to do this in a few months time. Was hoping to ticket the below on a one way 85k (+5k) award.
HKG-LHR (CX)
LHR-HND (BA)

It seems to work in the AM online tool thing, but guess that could be useless
Old Mar 24, 2019, 5:13 am

Originally Posted by kaka
Sounds like a bad agent. The main problem is finding availability. I found a working example, 11/25/19 BOS-JNB for 85k bookable online. Probably better to spring for the 5k extra miles and go QR though and availability is better too.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 1:23 pm

Thank you. Looks like it cannot be booked online, only via Flight Award Request form/process. Would be interested to know if anyone has successfully ticketed such an intinerary.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 3:25 pm

Thank you. Looks like it cannot be booked online, only via Flight Award Request form/process. Would be interested to know if anyone has successfully ticketed such an intinerary.
Read my post directly above your last post. I did find it online. You can book it online if there is availability. There is rarely award availability in CX J HKG-JNB which is the problem. Using a form is not going to help that. I did see significantly more availability on QR for 90k (vs 85k for CX), also found online. If you've got the 5k extra miles I would suggest flying QR. More availability and based on reviews a quality product.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 3:42 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF
Redeeming ORD-HKG (& onto SIN) in F, 6 months out. F6 pretty much all week long for CX807. Zero availability in standard or even choice for either ORD-SIN or ORD-HKG, but BA sees ORD-HKG on half the days (doesn’t show CX if searching for F ORD-SIN). Called MPO, attempted to get a seat release (I’m DM and prefer keeping Avios for certain short haul redemptions)- no dice.

Just booked with Avios.

Pathetic.
Kilian Zoll, kaka, QRC3288 and 3 others like this.

Last edited by jagmeets; Mar 26, 2019 at 12:04 am
Old Mar 25, 2019, 10:18 pm

Programs: KF, MPC, BAEC // Bonvoy, WoH, Honors
Originally Posted by jagmeets
Redeeming ORD-HKG (& onto SIN) in F, 6 months out. F6 pretty much all week long. Zero availability in standard or even choice, but BA sees on half the days. Called MPO, attempted to get a seat release (I’m DM and prefer keeping Avios for certain short haul redemptions)- no dice.

Just booked with Avios.

Pathetic.
Are there any other airlines/loyalty programs who actively restrict award seats to its own members whilst making them available to partners?

I refuse to believe this is an error that has gone uncaught for 9 months now -- this approach just has to make sense financially for CX. The questions is how it could go this far, and with the acquisition of HK Express, the hostage taking of HK based travellers by CX will get even worse.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 10:33 pm

Programs: CX MPC
Originally Posted by Kilian Zoll
Are there any other airlines/loyalty programs who actively restrict award seats to its own members whilst making them available to partners?

I refuse to believe this is an error that has gone uncaught for 9 months now -- this approach just has to make sense financially for CX. The questions is how it could go this far, and with the acquisition of HK Express, the hostage taking of HK based travellers by CX will get even worse.
I've just used Asiamiles to book a J seat on CX out of London for my daughter in August (i.e. peak season), which wasn't available through Avios. And two reward seats on the CX flight from Madrid to Hong Kong (this time in PE), which again weren't available via Avios.
So there are definitely still some occasions when CX offers superior award availability to its own members. But, equally, as we've all found out to our frustration, there are now other occasions when its now the other way round--and the superior availability is only availability is only available through partners.

Can anyone work out some kind of pattern as to when AM members get superior availability? And when its partners such as Avios that get the better availability?
Old Mar 25, 2019, 10:47 pm

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)
Originally Posted by dannyhk
I've just used Asiamiles to book a J seat on CX out of London for my daughter in August (i.e. peak season), which wasn't available through Avios. And two reward seats on the CX flight from Madrid to Hong Kong (this time in PE), which again weren't available via Avios.
So there are definitely still some occasions when CX offers superior award availability to its own members. But, equally, as we've all found out to our frustration, there are now other occasions when its now the other way round--and the superior availability is only availability is only available through partners.

Can anyone work out some kind of pattern as to when AM members get superior availability? And when its partners such as Avios that get the better availability?
its quite simple. the rule/observation:

- if its a connecting segment, you have a better chance of partner availability.
- if its O&D HKG, you have a better chance of AM (standard) availability.

something is really wrong with the AM booking system. say for the posters' experience : USA-xHKG-SIN. The AM engine seems to search it as 2 individual segments. Whereas partners seem to search it as a connecting / married segment which has better availability overall for partners (on the flip side, they have really taken the knife to partner O&D redemptions - likely due to BA/Alaksa partner redemptions no doubt)
Old Mar 25, 2019, 11:58 pm

Actually, not.

for ORD-SIN, BA wouldn’t show me CX options (Guess because of no F on HKG-SIN). So this was a direct point to point comparison for ORD-HKG.

I just booked the 2 legs separately (HKG-SIN available on both).

edit: sorry, my initial post didn’t clarify this- will edit.
QRC3288 likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 12:11 am

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)
Originally Posted by jagmeets
Actually, not.

for ORD-SIN, BA wouldn’t show me CX options (Guess because of no F on HKG-SIN). So this was a direct point to point comparison for ORD-HKG.

I just booked the 2 legs separately (HKG-SIN available on both).

edit: sorry, my initial post didn’t clarify this- will edit.
wow that is new!!
so on O&D route - AM does not give availability but gives it to partners??
WOW.

i would be interested if AS could see it too!
Old Mar 26, 2019, 12:18 am

Originally Posted by ermen
wow that is new!!
so on O&D route - AM does not give availability but gives it to partners??
WOW.

i would be interested if AS could see it too!
Could someone with AS/AAdvantage please check CX807/26 September for an F award please?

BA shows one seat. CX shows a waitlist for either Standard or Choice. I am not going to bother calling up again to check for a seat release- rather spend the time on here. It was there yesterday, and they wouldn't release..i booked with Avios for a different date in that week, which was also available then.

Edit to add: Awardnexus showed the same seats as available through JL as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.