Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Asia Miles Changes effective 22 June 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 24, 2018, 4:03 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: percysmith
New links:
New redemption engine: https://www.asiamiles.com/en/redeem-awards/flight-awards/facade.html
(alternatively https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_HK/book-a-trip/redeem-flights/facade.html for MPO members)
New redemption charts (CX and KA only): https://www.asiamiles.com/en/redeem-awards/flight-awards/flight-award-chart.html
New partner redemption mileage requirement: https://www.asiamiles.com/en/afr.html

Asia Miles changes microsite:
https://www.asiamiles.com/change/

New Terms and Conditions:
https://www.asiamiles.com/change/en/updatedterms.html
Print Wikipost

Asia Miles Changes effective 22 June 2018

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2019, 2:59 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), TK Elite (*G), BT VIP, HH D, BW DS
Originally Posted by clubeurope
sorry to chime in,

I just have a question. It was my understanding that if something cannot be done online and have to call the Service Centre, one would pay the online fee as opposed to the offline fee (which is the rule with BA).

I had to change one of my segments on an upcoming (oneway award) itinerary, but I couldn't seem to do it online, so I called MPC. The agent was insistent that I have to pay the offline fee USD40, regardless of whether I am able to do it online or not. So I relented and paid USD40.

My question is, did I misunderstand, and was she right to charge USD40?

cheers
This is probably not how the rules go (as previous posters have stated) but I've been able to change via phone for the 25 USD fee. CS required screenshots of the failing changing process online to support the lower fee though, sent via email.
clubeurope likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 4:13 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau
Original Poster

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by SuloL
This is probably not how the rules go (as previous posters have stated) but I've been able to change via phone for the 25 USD fee. CS required screenshots of the failing changing process online to support the lower fee though, sent via email.
You absolutely lucked out. AM stated the US$40/4,000AM fee applies even if their systems are to blame:

Originally Posted by woresu
Effective for tickets issued on and after 1 December 2016, USD40 or 4,000 mileage credits will be charged per flight sector, per passenger, if you rebook your flight award through the Service Centre or other non-online channel. The same fee also applies to itineraries that cannot be rebooked online.
​​​​​​​
Old Jan 19, 2019, 4:54 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), TK Elite (*G), BT VIP, HH D, BW DS
Originally Posted by percysmith
You absolutely lucked out. AM stated the US$40/4,000AM fee applies even if their systems are to blame:
It was one lucky booking then, as I recalled it also resulted in two upgrades due to equipment swaps

As that is worded, not a very customer friendly policy though. They basically recognize that their own IT might be (/actually is) s**t, but don't feel the need to compensate for that by any means.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 5:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SuloL
As that is worded, not a very customer friendly policy though. They basically recognize that their own IT might be (/actually is) s**t, but don't feel the need to compensate for that by any means.
You can redeem via other programs "law"...
Old Jan 21, 2019, 7:36 am

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)
On the HSBC 6x reward of your choice - they did not renew this automatically for cardholders this year did they?
I remember that they automatically rolled your previous choice over last year - but dont to see that in the T&C this year

https://www.hsbc.com.hk/credit-cards...s/your-choice/
Old Jan 21, 2019, 9:40 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
It was automatically rolled over for me. I got an SMS on 16 Nov and an email on 18 Nov both saying that I need to change it before 6 Dec otherwise it would roll over.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by christep
It was automatically rolled over for me. I got an SMS on 16 Nov and an email on 18 Nov both saying that I need to change it before 6 Dec otherwise it would roll over.
i got an email in 2017 but did not get an email / sms in Nov 2018.
only just re-registered. hope they did roll-over for me though because i bought stuff in the first 2 weeks of jan!
Old Feb 2, 2019, 8:30 am

Programs: MPC Diamond
Originally Posted by ermen
yup ive noticed that cx have made married segment awards available to partners but not their own sometimes

weird

its definitely a crappy IT issue
I just want to clarify/confirm, because I called in today inquiring about award availability for a OW Multicarrier Award. The agent told me the married segment award that I saw available on the partner website (in this case, QF) was not available in the AM system because that amount has been "allocated" to their partners, so AM members cannot book them with AM. So my understanding is that it is not just an IT issue, but actually a change in the way that CX is now making available its award inventory to partners vs. its own AM members.

I did not verify what percysmith said earlier about married segments being available unmarried on AM for redemption at a higher class (ie., Choice or Tailored), but if so, I guess that also implies that OW Multicarrier can only be booked if there is award availability at the Standard level.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 9:34 am

Programs: CX Diamond / SQ Gold / Bonvoy Platinum / Hyatt Globalist / Hilton Gold
I had similar problem 2-3 months ago.

I was able to see the segments separately, but the agent added the sectors in order and 2 of the sectors did not work due to married segment issue.

I then asked the agent to add the 2 "problematic" sectors in reverse order - and it magically worked.

I think it's true - that OW Multicarrier can only be booked when flights are available as "Standard" awards.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 9:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by calf613
The agent told me the married segment award that I saw available on the partner website (in this case, QF) was not available in the AM system because that amount has been "allocated" to their partners, so AM members cannot book them with AM. So my understanding is that it is not just an IT issue, but actually a change in the way that CX is now making available its award inventory to partners vs. its own AM members.
That's just really flogging the captives isn't it? Whip whip! Whip whip!

(I am seriously skeptics that is true though. Agents have form of making things up when they're undertrained/management hide things from them. Like oneworld awards cannot consist of exactly two partners and KA/CX)
Old Feb 2, 2019, 9:59 am
Original Poster

I guess that also implies that OW Multicarrier can only be booked if there is award availability at the Standard level.
That is true.
I don't see how this is directly related to the married segment issue; however, since members cannot include Choice or Tailored (including Choice or Tailored to break married segments) in oneworld redemptions, oneworld redemptions post-22/6 is about as obsolete as Bolshevism post-Cold War.

Last edited by percysmith; Feb 2, 2019 at 10:12 am
Old Feb 2, 2019, 10:50 am

I just want to clarify/confirm, because I called in today inquiring about award availability for a OW Multicarrier Award. The agent told me the married segment award that I saw available on the partner website (in this case, QF) was not available in the AM system because that amount has been "allocated" to their partners, so AM members cannot book them with AM. So my understanding is that it is not just an IT issue, but actually a change in the way that CX is now making available its award inventory to partners vs. its own AM members.

Originally Posted by percysmith

That's just really flogging the captives isn't it? Whip whip! Whip whip!

(I am seriously skeptics that is true though. Agents have form of making things up when they're undertrained/management hide things from them. Like oneworld awards cannot consist of exactly two partners and KA/CX)
​​​​​​

exactly that is why I maintain its an IT error at this point in time.

it makes zero sense to have something like TPE-xHKG-SIN available to OW but not their own AM members.

now if that was true - then yeah they are really whipping their captive members!!!
Old Feb 2, 2019, 8:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ermen

exactly that is why I maintain its an IT error at this point in time.

it makes zero sense to have something like TPE-xHKG-SIN available to OW but not their own AM members.

now if that was true - then yeah they are really whipping their captive members!!!
I think I misspoke. Patricia is whipping us after all.

I placed too much emphasis on the "cannot" in the last post.
It is not "cannot" - it is "can" with an egregiously inflated price (Tailored).

This is just hidden city ticketing/ex-TPE transplanted into redemption.
If you want to fly XXX-HKG-YYY, sure, you can burn whatever bummer partner currency you like.
​​​​​​​
Buf if you just want XXX-HKG or HKG-YYY, you better strap on your dog collar, get on all fours and don't expect the dominatrix has a safeword.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 11:51 pm
Original Poster

P.S. I've been shown some married segments that cannot be broken using AM Tailored. AM can replicate the partner's married segments, but the ex-HKG standalone segment cannot be redeemed separetely.

I've been asked not to disclose which segments were involved.

But after seeing those segments, I'm convinced now CX is extending ex-TPE/ex-PRC pricing to redemption also. I don't think whipping is adequate to describe what CX is doing the the captives.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 1:06 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Captive-whipping is more like loyalty-whipping

Case in point

A prime regional port to HK 2Z available on Avios (as unicorn as it seems) --> only tailored (130k) available through AM, not Standard or choice
Agent quoted the same allocation BS

What is this new (ab)normal......

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.