Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Asia Miles Changes effective 22 June 2018

Old May 24, 2018, 4:03 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: percysmith
New links:
New redemption engine: https://www.asiamiles.com/en/redeem-awards/flight-awards/facade.html
(alternatively https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_HK/book-a-trip/redeem-flights/facade.html for MPO members)
New redemption charts (CX and KA only): https://www.asiamiles.com/en/redeem-awards/flight-awards/flight-award-chart.html
New partner redemption mileage requirement: https://www.asiamiles.com/en/afr.html

Asia Miles changes microsite:
https://www.asiamiles.com/change/

New Terms and Conditions:
https://www.asiamiles.com/change/en/updatedterms.html
Print Wikipost

Asia Miles Changes effective 22 June 2018

Old Jan 7, 2019, 3:42 am

Programs: BA Blue, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold
So I'm looking ideally at HKG to RGN this coming December (or HKG - BKK) if that's not possible. No availability on BAEC at all post early November.
I do have a fair few Amex MR points that I could transfer over to Asia Miles if that would be a better idea? I'm still not sure after reading through this whole thread whether CX are releasing more seats for Asia Miles users than to their One World partners?

Also is there a chance that CX won't release any seats for December given it's peak time? Previously I've never had a problem booking intra-asia rewards on CX through BAEC but don't want to be waiting for an option that might never appear!
Old Jan 7, 2019, 6:51 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), TK Elite (*G), BT VIP, HH D, BW DS
Originally Posted by Eskimoboy
So I'm looking ideally at HKG to RGN this coming December (or HKG - BKK) if that's not possible. No availability on BAEC at all post early November.
I do have a fair few Amex MR points that I could transfer over to Asia Miles if that would be a better idea? I'm still not sure after reading through this whole thread whether CX are releasing more seats for Asia Miles users than to their One World partners?

Also is there a chance that CX won't release any seats for December given it's peak time? Previously I've never had a problem booking intra-asia rewards on CX through BAEC but don't want to be waiting for an option that might never appear!
It indeed seems that partners get less than AM members (a rightful development perhaps). HKG-RGN has both Economy and Business Standard availability through Asia Miles on random dates in Dec 2019.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 10:10 am

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by Eskimoboy

Asia Miles has plenty of availability HKG-RGN in both Y and J up through 12/18. After 12/18 may be not available yet or waitlist. Partner availability for December currently is married segment only. If you search for TPE-RGN you will see availability through HKG up through 12/18.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 10:22 am

Programs: BA Blue, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold
Thanks to you and SuloL for this info! Guess I'll probably use AM rather than Avios then.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 11:17 am

Strange Results - J Standard Available, Y Tailored Not Available, 6-12 months out

Originally Posted by sxc
Tailored award makes no sense. The promise of the Tailored reward was that you could always get a seat because you were paying much higher Asia Miles. But for the ones I have searched, you still have to waitlist a tailored award??
Originally Posted by jd20
Or maybe increased economy award availability, because even F/C choice and tailored availability is mostly flat or down.

Another odd thing, I've not seen a single F tailored award available when searching the SFO-HKG route (that's the row that's -100% in the table). I wasn't sure if that's a glitch on the AM website, or is F tailored something you need to call to book? Very strange...
Searching intra-Asia (haven't checked this for long-haul), I still see a lot of dates where even Tailored is unavailable, in Y and J. More oddly, some dates have Y Standard but no J Tailored, and some dates have J Standard but no Y Tailored (most absurd given the small price difference here). These are for flights 6-12 months out, with plenty of seats for sale.

But I don't think you have to call, since Tailored does show as the only option for other dates.

I am searching Vietnam routes, so maybe this has to do with all those bookings made on Dec 31, 2018. But it's not like the short-haul legs came anywhere close to selling out, at least in Y.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 3:09 pm

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.
whilst i am regular critique of cathay pathetic, i do stand for them when it comes to award in Y for asia routes. i was able to select 4 Y seats to HND on short notice at the lowest econ (whatever the award is called their tiered structure is stupidly complex) in midst of xmas season

i cant say for longhaul or J cuz i would buy those on other carier anyhow but for my regular burn and churn of asiamiles in Y fpr regional sector the change has worked well.

disclaimer: all my miles comes from credit card spending.. why pay to fly on CX?
Old Jan 7, 2019, 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by mcdullhk88
I am searching Vietnam routes, so maybe this has to do with all those bookings made on Dec 31, 2018. But it's not like the short-haul legs came anywhere close to selling out, at least in Y.
I get the feeling CX wants to make the folks who got the error fare from Vietnam suffer at least a little. By removing award availability to Vietnam they are making people pay up to get there for the error fare.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by skimthetrees
I get the feeling CX wants to make the folks who got the error fare from Vietnam suffer at least a little. By removing award availability to Vietnam they are making people pay up to get there for the error fare.
Isn't it more likely that they just have higher loads than normal?

It's not like there aren't other airlines (with award seats) that can get you there.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by VegasGambler

It's not like there aren't other airlines (with award seats) that can get you there.
And LCC's with cheap one-way fares, sometimes marginally more than the taxes one would pay CX for a J redemption. Wouldn't be surprised to see people position that way, even without considering CX award space.

Higher loads - definitely true for some CX/KA Vietnam flights, but limited to J and certain flights. It's the empty flights I'm surprised there isn't even Tailored Y space, since CX can charge whatever it wants to for Tailored.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by VegasGambler

The error fare was for J so, yes, you are probably right about that, but what about Y space? The reports seem to suggest even Y awards are tough.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 8:25 pm

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)
The error fare was for J so, yes, you are probably right about that, but what about Y space? The reports seem to suggest even Y awards are tough.
it's a shame if they are limiting Y fares to vietnam. i genuinely want to go there for a holiday in 2019! but looks like that would be difficult!
Old Jan 7, 2019, 10:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have no idea how much Y space they usually release. It is possible that the people who bought these fares have taken up a significant chunk of their Y award inventory?

I guess my point here is that if they restrict space, it's not going to make it difficult for people to get there; it's going to drive people to competing airlines. If you want to get to Vietnam you can get to Vietnam, and CX can't stop you, or even really make it much more difficult for you. There are too many options.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 10:46 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau
Original Poster

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by fakecd
disclaimer: all my miles comes from credit card spending.. why pay to fly on CX?
Well you sort of paid for the miles by foregoing cash rebate.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 1:57 am

Programs: Krisflyer, BAEC
The space restriction is getting pretty ridiculous. I'm waitlisted on flights to multiple destinations in Europe for December. Meanwhile, Avios sees open availability for at least 2 in J class. The call centre isnt any help, merely stating that AM has access to a different set of seats than other partner airlines.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 2:05 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau
Original Poster

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by Jacknabbit
The space restriction is getting pretty ridiculous. I'm waitlisted on flights to multiple destinations in Europe for December. Meanwhile, Avios sees open availability for at least 2 in J class. The call centre isnt any help, merely stating that AM has access to a different set of seats than other partner airlines.
What routing and what airlines?

If they all involve CX, this will be newsworthy (Avios having more availability than AM).
QRC3288 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.