Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Asia Miles Changes effective 22 June 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 24, 2018, 4:03 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: percysmith
New links:
New redemption engine: https://www.asiamiles.com/en/redeem-awards/flight-awards/facade.html
(alternatively https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_HK/book-a-trip/redeem-flights/facade.html for MPO members)
New redemption charts (CX and KA only): https://www.asiamiles.com/en/redeem-awards/flight-awards/flight-award-chart.html
New partner redemption mileage requirement: https://www.asiamiles.com/en/afr.html

Asia Miles changes microsite:
https://www.asiamiles.com/change/

New Terms and Conditions:
https://www.asiamiles.com/change/en/updatedterms.html
Print Wikipost

Asia Miles Changes effective 22 June 2018

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2018, 2:49 pm

Programs: Cathay MPC, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Domestic Airline Nobody
Originally Posted by IncyWincy
Yet it will soon convince people that Asia miles are pretty useless.
Yeah... their changes this year really devalued the program. I agree with your rant. ^
Old Dec 26, 2018, 9:10 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau
Original Poster

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
I was on a hair-crazed HKG-TPE-NGO//CTS-HND-PVG-HKG routing this holiday (NGO-CTS on Avios) https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cath...l#post30574966

I originally had 4 hours connection time in PVG. Since I arrived ahead of time from HND and arrived at KA PVG check in 3 hours ahead of time, I looked into a goshow onto an earlier flight and was allowed to switch from 9pm KA809 to 8pm KA897. I'm not a frequent PVG traveller, but there was a board showing which flights have "Seats available".

When boarded, J was 25% full.

The disappointing thing was when I checked the previous night for 26/12's PVG-HKG last minute, only Choice and Tailored was available (I was on Standard award). More Flying Air...
Old Dec 26, 2018, 11:05 am

I'm speechless. Why does CX do that?
Old Dec 26, 2018, 6:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by davidtai
I'm speechless. Why does CX do that?
​​​​​​​https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cath...l#post29972783
https://webb-site.com/articles/tickets3.asp

Tactics of the supplier as the biggest scalper.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 11:37 am

Programs: CX GO, AC Aeroplan 25K, AMEX PLAT, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire Amb
This is a first for me.

Trying to upgrade from PEY R class to Business U.

Loadings are
J9 C9 D6 I1 W4 R3 E1
J9 C9 D7 I2 W6 R5 E2

And both flights would not even accept waitlist for the upgrade. Called MPC and they said the same.
I have been checking the last 3 days and it had been the same.

The same flights are accepting waitlists on Business Standard Award.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 11:51 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
I think it's becoming clear that AsiaMiles are now devalued to the point of uselesness. I'm sitting on 2.5M Citi rewards points which I had been planning to turn into AsiaMiles when I wanted an F trip to the UK. It seems clear that this was a mistaken strategy, so now I'm looking at alternative ways touse those points.

As a 20 year HK immigrant and a 7-year 1M mile DM in my earlier days it really saddens me to see CX having descended to this level.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 7:01 pm

Programs: CX Gold
I have never redeemed award flights or upgrades with CX. And I’m planning to upgrade a sector of my upcoming flight from J to F (HKG-FRA). It will be for 2 seats. So what are my chances to this?
Old Dec 27, 2018, 11:49 pm

Programs: Asiamiles
Originally Posted by percysmith
I was on a hair-crazed HKG-TPE-NGO//CTS-HND-PVG-HKG routing this holiday (NGO-CTS on Avios) https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cath...l#post30574966

I originally had 4 hours connection time in PVG. Since I arrived ahead of time from HND and arrived at KA PVG check in 3 hours ahead of time, I looked into a goshow onto an earlier flight and was allowed to switch from 9pm KA809 to 8pm KA897. I'm not a frequent PVG traveller, but there was a board showing which flights have "Seats available".

When boarded, J was 25% full.

The disappointing thing was when I checked the previous night for 26/12's PVG-HKG last minute, only Choice and Tailored was available (I was on Standard award). More Flying Air...
I just return from a last minute redemption booking exHKG - CTS direct for 5 days during Christmas. It was wide open just a few days prior to departure..
Must be that flexible to use miles now.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 12:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by benyiu
I just return from a last minute redemption booking exHKG - CTS direct for 5 days during Christmas. It was wide open just a few days prior to departure..
Must be that flexible to use miles now.
CX582 to CTS wasn't it?

Did you get direct return also?

What redemption needed? Standard J?
Old Dec 28, 2018, 2:55 am

Programs: Asiamiles
Originally Posted by percysmith
CX582 to CTS wasn't it?

Did you get direct return also?

What redemption needed? Standard J?
Indeed.
Also, Today (Dec 28) exCTS Standard Y is available CX583
percysmith likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 4:04 am

Originally Posted by christep
I think it's becoming clear that AsiaMiles are now devalued to the point of uselesness. I'm sitting on 2.5M Citi rewards points which I had been planning to turn into AsiaMiles when I wanted an F trip to the UK. It seems clear that this was a mistaken strategy, so now I'm looking at alternative ways touse those points.

As a 20 year HK immigrant and a 7-year 1M mile DM in my earlier days it really saddens me to see CX having descended to this level.
Totally agree with you. I don't find any values with Asia Miles now. Their award program has gone down to almost worthless. There is no point to accumulate their miles when there are hardly any availabilities, even when there are plenty of unsold seats!
Old Dec 30, 2018, 4:24 am

Programs: QR/AC Gold, VA Silver, IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold
I am looking at SYD-HKG (1-way for now) route in J for around Xmas period next year. I am looking at everyday closer to Xmas and all I see is Business Tailored seat available at 140K, even though I tried different routes. Likewise looking at PE, only Tailored Seats are available at 80K (only looking for 2 in Asia iles), even though if I looked at Qantas I could see those PE seats available for 52.5K QFF points (eg 18 Dec 2018 CX110, 4 PE seats available).

I just don't get it. It looks like I can just use QFF points to book CX ticket cheaper than using Asia Miles. How does that work? Why is CX doing this? I just doesn't make any sense to me.

I also look at Krisflyer as well, and there are plenty of availability of booking J via SIN for 58000 Krisflyer miles with plenty of route options, not to mention low taxes and no surcharges. I guess i just have to fly SQ again instead.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 9:27 pm

Programs: KF, MPC, BAEC // Bonvoy, WoH, Honors
Slightly OT, but has CX completely stopped releasing seats to partners on some routes now? I'm seeing multiple J seats available on HKG-DXB in Sept/Oct 2019 as Standard Awards, but none of these are bookable through BA or QF.

EDIT: Managed to find some seats through QF's search engine (when 4+ seats are showing through Asia Miles) -- nevertheless the availability seems to have been cut back significantly.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 9:50 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by Kilian Zoll
Slightly OT, but has CX completely stopped releasing seats to partners on some routes now? I'm seeing multiple J seats available on HKG-DXB in Sept/Oct 2019 as Standard Awards, but none of these are bookable through BA or QF.

EDIT: Managed to find some seats through QF's search engine (when 4+ seats are showing through Asia Miles) -- nevertheless the availability seems to have been cut back significantly.
It's not that they stopped releasing to partners. They have cut the number of seats they release to partners. They also have some new tricks up their sleeve. The one affecting you: Married Segments.

Cathay has this new model for releasing space to partners and as part of that for some routes they may only release space at schedule open as part of an itinerary connecting in HKG. Then after a month or two (or more) they will open up some space on the individual segments like HKG-DXB. If you search for TPE-DXB on the QF website you will see a lot CX availability to DXB in September and October connecting through Hong Kong.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 2:26 am

No need to talk about oneworld partners. It is extremely difficult now for CX MPC members to redeem flights on CX, so go figure.

(Audio)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.