Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Asia Miles Changes effective 22 June 2018

Old May 24, 2018, 4:03 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: percysmith
New links:
New redemption engine: https://www.asiamiles.com/en/redeem-awards/flight-awards/facade.html
(alternatively https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_HK/book-a-trip/redeem-flights/facade.html for MPO members)
New redemption charts (CX and KA only): https://www.asiamiles.com/en/redeem-awards/flight-awards/flight-award-chart.html
New partner redemption mileage requirement: https://www.asiamiles.com/en/afr.html

Asia Miles changes microsite:
https://www.asiamiles.com/change/

New Terms and Conditions:
https://www.asiamiles.com/change/en/updatedterms.html
Print Wikipost

Asia Miles Changes effective 22 June 2018

Old Jun 24, 2018, 8:41 am

Programs: TK*G
Originally Posted by OnePassLover
Did 2 random routes using BA,

1. HKG-PVG has no availability until Sept 19, 2018, then it become abundant again (Y only).
2. TPE-HKG no availability for the whole month of Dec 2018.

This is bad...
I hope this is just temporary... I know quite a number of people in HK do have avios account and redeem CX

There are barely any CX award seats available on BA platform - both long haul and short haul, econ and business
Old Jun 24, 2018, 8:51 am

Originally Posted by percysmith

Yes in theory but we are pretty certain it is not adhered to by CX. That is why grAAber and grASper threads on CX say use BA and QF search engines to locate availability:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...aster-thd.html

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alas...ilability.html
Yes but previously there would at most be one award seat held back by CX. Therefore a discrepancy of 1 seat and that is usually a first seat. Is that not so? Thanks.

Last edited by IncyWincy; Jun 24, 2018 at 10:03 am
Old Jun 24, 2018, 9:50 am

Programs: OWE
when checking for long haul in the US-HKG (ORD, BOS, JFK, LAX) through partners (BA, AA, QF and even AS on the phone) there is not one seat in any cabin at the furthest end of schedule. I put in random dates in April, May, June and even off peak season in Oct, Feb - nothing. not one seat in Y, PEY, J, or F. which is mind blowing to say the least. However, a quick search on AM website, there are seats available in those cabins as soon as next week.

Right before the CX AM change on June 22, there are plenty of Y, PEY and a good sprinkling of F/J seats on those long hauls when searching award seats through partners, but since JUN 22, there has been none. Even high frequency Intra-Asia flight like TPE-HKG, HKG-SIN where they serve more than 6 flights daily yield very little results. I see maybe 1 seat per day in both those sectors, but only Y seats, nothing else.

idk if it is a coding/IT issue but this is concerning for many. I hope this new AM change does not mean a severe limited access to award seats through partners and that people are forced into redeeming for these expensive AM "choice seats"
Old Jun 24, 2018, 10:26 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Bonvoy Plat, HHonors Diamond, DL Gold
One of Asia Miles talking points for the recent changes was "More access to redemption seats-Improved redemption seat access and changes to flight awards for Cathay Pacific and Cathay Dragon". In May 2015, SCMP had an article from Danny Lee titled " Cathay reviews loyalty scheme to give more free flights to own customers".

Cathay reviews loyalty scheme to give more free flights to own customers | South China Morning Post

The article stated the following:

"Cathay Pacific is to set aside more free seats for its seasoned frequent fliers, under the latest proposal to revamp the award- winning airline's loyalty scheme. The plan is to slash the number of free air tickets available for partner airlines and to reallocate those to Cathay's own Marco Polo Club members, sources close to the ongoing review say."

"The sources say Cathay believes it is time to stop allowing external redemptions when the airline is capable of filling aircraft with paid passengers - boosting long-term profitability."

I believe this subject had been discussed earlier in this forum when the article came out. It would not surprise me if the recent Asia Miles programme changes do result in restricted CX award access to partner programmes. There are several airlines across different alliances which restrict J and F availability to partners. If CX started doing this also, it wouldn't be unusual; it would just be a change from CX's previous practice.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 10:28 am

Programs: MP, BR
I keep getting errors (e.g. after clicking search it will show a page saying that flexible dates cannot be searched then bounce back tothe search page with some error code in red), is that a CX IT glitch?
Old Jun 24, 2018, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by conde
One of Asia Miles talking points for the recent changes was "More access to redemption seats-Improved redemption seat access and changes to flight awards for Cathay Pacific and Cathay Dragon". In May 2015, SCMP had an article from Danny Lee titled " Cathay reviews loyalty scheme to give more free flights to own customers".

Cathay reviews loyalty scheme to give more free flights to own customers South China Morning Post

"Cathay Pacific is to set aside more free seats for its seasoned frequent fliers, under the latest proposal to revamp the award- winning airline's loyalty scheme. The plan is to slash the number of free air tickets available for partner airlines and to reallocate those to Cathay's own Marco Polo Club members, sources close to the ongoing review say."

"The sources say Cathay believes it is time to stop allowing external redemptions when the airline is capable of filling aircraft with paid passengers - boosting long-term profitability."

I believe this subject had been discussed earlier in this forum when the article came out. It would not surprise me if the recent Asia Miles programme changes do result in restricted CX award access to partner programmes. There are several airlines across different alliances which restrict J and F availability to partners. If CX started doing this also, it wouldn't be unusual; it would just be a change from CX's previous practice.
Except that the "more availability" is in the also more and much more expensive Choice and Tailored prices. I am not sure if this is a good thing to Asia Miles members if what they are getting are more expensive awards instead of an increase of standard seats.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 12:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Happy
Except that the "more availability" is in the also more and much more expensive Choice and Tailored prices. I am not sure if this is a good thing to Asia Miles members if what they are getting are more expensive awards instead of an increase of standard seats.
hk based customers are still better off compared to 10-15 years ago when miles were more expensive even when compared to choice.

for those from outside- we dont get aa upgrade vouchers either.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 3:29 pm

Cathay reviews loyalty scheme to give more free flights to own customers South China Morning Post

Following.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by marcommm
You mean Oneworld Multi Carrier award right? It is in this link "New redemption charts (CX and KA only): https://www.asiamiles.com/en/redeem-...ard-chart.html " from Wiki of this thread.
Is it that difficult to find that out yourself?
SINGLE. SINGLE carrier. not multi-carrier

Originally Posted by bart simpson
https://www.asiamiles.com/en/afr.html

No chart available but you can search flight by flight
that's freaking ridiculous
Old Jun 24, 2018, 4:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: dont care anymore
Perhaps through luck I burned a good chunk of avios on CX a few weeks before the change. I'd say of my avios redemptions most have been on CX.

Depending on how plays out I may have to totally rethink things. Although I'd be more concerned without having burned 750000 avios and had desire to fly on CX.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 6:01 pm

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by jimbosmith300
Noticed that with these changes that we no longer are able to upgrade BA flights with Asia Miles
I believe the T class-to-U class upgrade was a bargain in the old CX chart. Sad to see that it is gone.

By the way, I just got my PVG-HKG-TPE in Q class credited under the new scheme. Under the new chart, It's a lot more miles. I'm surprised there's no delay from CX end for 22JUN flights.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 7:29 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Tailored award makes no sense. The promise of the Tailored reward was that you could always get a seat because you were paying much higher Asia Miles. But for the ones I have searched, you still have to waitlist a tailored award??

Last edited by sxc; Jun 24, 2018 at 8:08 pm
Old Jun 24, 2018, 7:50 pm

Programs: QF Plat, BA GGL, VA Silver, SQ Gold, IHG Gold, HH Diamond, Accor Plat, Hertz Pres Circle
Does anyone know what classes the choice and tailored awards are booking into?

Eg. SQ books their version of choice into A class which is a revenue class.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 7:50 pm

Programs: NWA Plat
deleted

Last edited by 300D; Jun 24, 2018 at 8:10 pm
Old Jun 24, 2018, 9:27 pm

Programs: AA, BA, UA, Spirit, Delta, PC Plat, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Gold
Angry

Be it as it may, there are reasons why airlines have alliances and partnerships. One of them is that they do love displaying these beautiful maps with the dots covering the whole globe even though the vast majority of these dots indicate partners' traffic rather than their own. I also believe, although my POV might be skewed since I'm based in the U.S. that CX has already considerably restricted award space in premium classes in the last 2 years. Removing virtually all North America redemptions for partners seriously sucks unless this is a temporary IT issue.

Last edited by mnscout; Jun 24, 2018 at 9:28 pm Reason: SP

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.