Cathay or Eva?

Old Jun 1, 2018, 6:45 am

Programs: Lowly CX & IHG
Originally Posted by Kachjc
I have been on SQ long haul- their IFE was dated, remotes did not work, no power sockets ....
CX food was better and had more choice in economy than SQ + CX had more snack choice

at least on CX these basic features are guaranteed....

I suppose though because CX is CX, CX is supposed to be the terrible one
I took HKG-SIN return on SQ Y some time ago, one way A350 PEY (seat) and one way 772 Y. Catering should be consistent but the cabin feels heaven and hell because of the age difference of equipment.
While one can say CX Y may not be outstanding, it's quite consistent.
And the small storage racks in Y seats since the blue cradle (i.e. all except hard shell), how handy it is and how much I missed it when I flew NH etc
Old Jun 1, 2018, 6:56 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
I must have been imagining things when i flew 772 on cx. It must been the same regio y and regio j. Mmmh and also the charge port.

And the food is consistently good. It must have been.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 7:28 am

Programs: Lowly CX & IHG
Originally Posted by kaka
I must have been imagining things when i flew 772 on cx. It must been the same regio y and regio j. Mmmh and also the charge port.

And the food is consistently good. It must have been.
I said consistent and did not put a good there. I think it's not bad but it's up to each of you to say it's good or bad or else.
I also explicitly said excluding regional hard shell. Maybe the non-touch-screen IFE on the SQ 772 was too mind-blowing to me (at least CX hard shell has touch screen) that I bashed it a bit too hard than other issues of the hard shell seat. Call me CX-fanboy there then
I also only compared Y which is relevant to this particular thread. I think I have said more than enough bad things about regional J to every CX- and non-CX people I have ever met.

For regional hard shell Y issue, I think we can soon end the argument when there's consistently narrow 10-abreast for the 777 (wait a minute there's still some on the A330s to stay?)

For OP's situation, SQ only flys to ICN and the other leg is AC, so also need to check AC there.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 4:59 pm

I've flown both BR and CX on YVR-SIN within the last 1.5 years. All Y.

BR was the more recent trip, but it was 10-abreast 777-300ER. On that same trip, I did do CX just on the SIN-HKG portion on the way back and that was a 3-3-3 on 777-300; probably just about the most comfortable and spacious 777-300 remaining. We had 4 seats, and I don't think there was an IFE box on any of our seats. That flight felt exquisite relative to YVR<>TPE or TPE>SIN or HKG>TPE on BR.

CX was ~1.5yrs ago and, while I don't remember which aircraft that was, seating was definitely comfortable along the lines of the aforementioned SIN-HKG flight. Just make sure you know which aircraft it is for your particular CX flight.

As for food, the TPAC portion is about the same between BR and CX. At least the dinner entrees were both tasty. For the intra-Asia portion, CX was better than BR. Maybe HKG just has better catering than TPE.

Only reason for the OP to choose BR over CX is if he/she is a Star Alliance person. Even then, most BR coach fares that I purchase end up earning 0-50% of the miles (UA miles in my case) and, based on my UA valuation, the miles earned from flying BR on that route would only be worth about $120 assuming 50%. So that wouldn't even make up the $200 difference.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 9:48 pm

Programs: CX-DM, BA-GGL, Marriott-TI, HHonors-DM
I will choose CX. They have two to three direct flights (depending on the date) to YVR daily so if things go wrong, you have options. It is also cheaper.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 8:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Reporting back. Picked BR, then booked CX for a follow-on flight due to significantly better pricing. Having flown both, my feeling was there is not a clear winner.

I had a good BR crew on the outbound, but on the return they were disinterested bordering on apathetic. CX crew was definitely more polished and professional (though CX is clearly understaffing the cabin). The layout of the 77W J cabin hurts CX here . . . the huge main cabin is just too big to be properly served with the number of FAs CX is assigning.

Hard product on the 77Ws is obviously very similar, though the CX version of the Cirrus seat felt better padded and adjusted to a better lounging position. Studio CX much better than BR IFE choices. Lack of slippers on CX was annoying.

I do prefer HKG for transit. BR lounges suck. Very crowded. Had to wait 90 minutes for a shower, and there was no toilet in the shower room. Additionally there was a horrific back up at transit security at TPE at 5 a.m., with probably over 500 pax in line. (I knew there was another checkpoint about 500 meters farther, and sure enough there was no line at all.)

Food was serviceable on both airlines. But no one ought to be picking either for the meal service.

Next time I would pick purely on price, and if price were the same, would probably choose CX for the more polished service, better lounges, and huge AS mileage accruals.
QRC3288, HarbourGent, gpia and 1 others like this.

Last edited by Kacee; Oct 25, 2018 at 4:05 pm Reason: Not actually OP, as thread was merged.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 12:11 am

SQ is opening up a SEA-SIN route so you'll have more options the next time
Old Oct 25, 2018, 12:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by LoveHateRelationship
SQ is opening up a SEA-SIN route so you'll have more options the next time
Thanks, but I'm based at SFO. We already have two daily SQ flights, soon to be three.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 1:25 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
Thanks, but I'm based at SFO. We already have two daily SQ flights, soon to be three.
More meant for people based in YVR going to SIN. Didn't realized you had moved since and/or got a new user account?
Old Oct 25, 2018, 1:00 pm

Programs: AA Plat, MPC Silver, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by kaka
esp that you wont need to deal w some of cxs uncheery crew who gives you a face whenever u ask for anything.
I gotta say, don't have too many, but a few bad experiences so far.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 2:40 am

Originally Posted by Nile_US
I gotta say, don't have too many, but a few bad experiences so far.
Beats flying US3, BA, AC and having that every. single. flight.
mbamejia likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.