Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cathay or Eva?

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2018, 9:18 pm
Original Poster

Cathay or Eva?

First time posting. I will be flying from Vancouver to Singapore in July. My options are Cathay via HKG or Eva via TPE. I will be travelling economy. Eva is about $200 Canadian more, return. I can afford it, but is Eva the better choice? Good food and beer, as well as service are my priorities. On the other hand, Cathay flies their new A350 from HKG to SIN, I kinda would like to try the A350, but it is not a deal breaker. Thanks guys for any advice or comments
Old May 20, 2018, 9:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Just pick whatever that suits your schedule better, transit at Taiwan probably be slightly better because of a smaller airport
jerrywu and longtimeflyin like this.
Old May 20, 2018, 9:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kaka
Just pick whatever that suits your schedule better, transit at Taiwan probably be slightly better because of a smaller airport
Thanks, my schedule is flexible. There really is not much difference in terms of total hours either way. I have read that Eva is fantastic, I'm just trying to figure out if they are superior to Cathay to warrant the extra $200
Old May 20, 2018, 9:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by autopal
Thanks, my schedule is flexible. There really is not much difference in terms of total hours either way. I have read that Eva is fantastic, I'm just trying to figure out if they are superior to Cathay to warrant the extra $200
if all thing equal id fly eva (my status aside- id assume you wont slap me w a owe ffp card which would tilt things)
esp that you wont need to deal w some of cx’s uncheery crew who gives you a face whenever u ask for anything.

but i wouldnt pay 200 to get away from that.
so perhaps go for the cheaper, unless u dont care. (I assume this is all in pricing, that eva costs more)
Old May 20, 2018, 11:16 pm

Usually the question is the other way around, that EVA is cheaper than CX and is it worth the savings? I can't imagine they can justify being more expensive though.
PacificSunrise likes this.
Old May 20, 2018, 11:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Same seat on both airlines. You'll get pajamas and better champagne on BR. OTOH, HKG lounges are pretty nice if you fly CX.

But for me the clincher might be the ground experience at SIN, both in and out. I would rather fly BR. New T4 where CX is based gets lots of criticism, as does the CX lounge.

Originally Posted by hkskyline
I can't imagine they can justify being more expensive though.
Because it's now considered one of the very best business class products in the sky?
Old May 21, 2018, 12:00 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
Same seat on both airlines. You'll get pajamas and better champagne on BR. OTOH, HKG lounges are pretty nice if you fly CX.

But for me the clincher might be the ground experience at SIN, both in and out. I would rather fly BR. New T4 where CX is based gets lots of criticism, as does the CX lounge.

Because it's now considered one of the very best business class products in the sky?
He/she will take economy
Old May 21, 2018, 12:02 am

Originally Posted by autopal
First time posting. I will be flying from Vancouver to Singapore in July. My options are Cathay via HKG or Eva via TPE. I will be travelling economy. Eva is about $200 Canadian more, return. I can afford it, but is Eva the better choice? Good food and beer, as well as service are my priorities. On the other hand, Cathay flies their new A350 from HKG to SIN, I kinda would like to try the A350, but it is not a deal breaker. Thanks guys for any advice or comments
Choose Cathay. I do not see Eva will be worth $200 Canadian more. They are no significant difference between each airlines for the economy class.
clubeurope likes this.
Old May 21, 2018, 12:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Aus106080
He/she will take economy
Well that is an important fact

Fly the airline that is not 10 across in Y on its 77W.
Old May 21, 2018, 12:34 am

On Eva u can get on the Hello Kitty plane with hello kitty everything on the flight, if that makes a difference.
Old May 21, 2018, 12:40 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
Well that is an important fact

Fly the airline that is not 10 across in Y on its 77W.
Both will have chance,
royng likes this.
Old May 21, 2018, 2:29 am

Programs: CX - DM; Hilton - Diamond, Marriott - Titanium
Actually CX operates A350 3x weekly between HKG and YVR (CX856/855 on T, W, Th). Given that you can take one of these A350 flights and that CX being $200 CAD cheaper, I'd definitely go for CX. In economy, I cannot imagine BR to be much better than CX.
Old May 21, 2018, 7:53 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by HawaiiO
On Eva u can get on the Hello Kitty plane with hello kitty everything on the flight, if that makes a difference.
Only on very selected flights.
Old May 21, 2018, 9:04 am

Programs: CX, Hyatt
what's with all the unfair CX bashing in this thread...
Old May 21, 2018, 9:12 am
Suspended

Programs: AC
I'd try the A350 myself.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.