Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

No more F for ZRH from Summer 2019 onwards

Old May 17, 2018, 12:50 pm
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE

Sometimes I can be wrong. 884 is safe for now. As per inventory checks, CX has zeroed out all F, A, Z for ZRH flights from the beginning of Summer 2019 schedule.

Quite sure it's not a 'not-yet-loaded' situation as I personally grabbed a Z award for this time period earlier ago myself.

This is yet another F class reduction after a 1-year hiatus this year, following 1 LAX rotation in 2017, DUS in 2016 and JNB in 2014.

(As someone with intense OCD about almost everything related to CX, I have checked F/A availability and Z awards for all other ports. All look safe for now.)

My guess is A351 will be the replacement, but it could be a 35G too...
QRC3288 likes this.
Old May 17, 2018, 1:27 pm

There has to be a reduction in F as 5 77H are leaving

will all come back right when the 777-9 enters the fleet
Old May 17, 2018, 1:38 pm
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
A very general rule-of-thumb is 3 frames for 2 rotations. Since CX will retire 3 77H in 2018-19, I guess LAX 898 and ZRH are the two victims.
With another 2 more 77H going away, one more rotation may be at peril 1-2 seasons further down the road.

If I am not mistaken, CX ordered 21 777X which seem to be a 1-to-1 replacement for 77H. This translates to ~14 rotations. 3 to London, 4 to NYC, 1 to Paris and Frankfurt, that leaves at most five left - now we have seven after ZRH is gone (1x Boston, 1x ORD, 4x West Coast, 1x Milan). I know no numbers but my wild bets would be on 888, Milan and 884 not entirely safe from the chopping block (for F, not the flight itself!).
cheung.chunyuenc likes this.
Old May 18, 2018, 5:17 am

That's a pity
Do you think CX will restore F when 777x started the services?
Old May 18, 2018, 5:17 am

Programs: BA SL, CX GR, IHG Plat Amb
Probably ZRH is not grtting too much F demand anyway
Old May 18, 2018, 6:04 am

Originally Posted by G-CIVC
A very general rule-of-thumb is 3 frames for 2 rotations. Since CX will retire 3 77H in 2018-19, I guess LAX 898 and ZRH are the two victims.
With another 2 more 77H going away, one more rotation may be at peril 1-2 seasons further down the road.

If I am not mistaken, CX ordered 21 777X which seem to be a 1-to-1 replacement for 77H. This translates to ~14 rotations. 3 to London, 4 to NYC, 1 to Paris and Frankfurt, that leaves at most five left - now we have seven after ZRH is gone (1x Boston, 1x ORD, 4x West Coast, 1x Milan). I know no numbers but my wild bets would be on 888, Milan and 884 not entirely safe from the chopping block (for F, not the flight itself!).
I don't believe CX is going to retire all 77H by 20203
they are planning quite a bit of expansion ( execs were in Mexico City last week)
with the 777-9 taking over flagship routes and 777;s doing other routes/midhaul
Old May 18, 2018, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by SLGO
ZRH is a premium heavy route with major banks Insurance and commodities companies, not forgetting Novartis and ABB nearby.
Also a lot of wealthy individuals.
On the other hand, few companies pay F anymore and LX upgraded its plane to a 77W not long ago, so a lot of seats on offer.

I am still surprise that F is removed from ZRH rather than some other destinations.
florens, vantage03 and marcommm like this.
Old May 20, 2018, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by brunos
ZRH is a premium heavy route with major banks Insurance and commodities companies, not forgetting Novartis and ABB nearby.
Also a lot of wealthy individuals.
On the other hand, few companies pay F anymore and LX upgraded its plane to a 77W not long ago, so a lot of seats on offer.

I am still surprise that F is removed from ZRH rather than some other destinations.
Yes probably there is plentiful premium pax, most of them may just be J pax instead of F as you have mentioned some of the causes. So stop providing F to ZRH sounds sensible.
Old May 20, 2018, 11:51 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK*G EL, KL P ELPL, ex AB P, ex LH/LX Sen, HHonors D4L, Bonvoy P
Originally Posted by SLGO
ZRH is very premium heavy, however mainly J. Having a large J cabin is more critical for economic success in this market. Y is generally the most difficult out of ZRH. That's why SQ operates a 388 version with more J to ZRH (and LHR). When CX changed some European destinations to 359, some expected the same to happen with ZRH. I understand this did (so far) not happen because of the lack of J ... So perhaps the 351 is a good guess? Does anyone know its J capacity?
Old May 20, 2018, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by swiss_global

ZRH is very premium heavy, however mainly J. Having a large J cabin is more critical for economic success in this market. Y is generally the most difficult out of ZRH. That's why SQ operates a 388 version with more J to ZRH (and LHR). When CX changed some European destinations to 359, some expected the same to happen with ZRH. I understand this did (so far) not happen because of the lack of J ... So perhaps the 351 is a good guess? Does anyone know its J capacity?
Those 351 have the J capacity of 77G, which would be a downgrade from 77H capacity wise.
Old May 20, 2018, 5:05 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
ZRH and CDG are my most frequent European ports. Anecdotally, I have never had an issue buying (or redeeming for) a ZRH F ticket in the last 3-4 years, however long it has been running.

Compare that to CDG, where on a few occasions I genuinely couldnt buy an F ticket, admitted last minute. But another example, 5 weeks I am looking to fly CDG-HKG in F... if I book, I am the last seat available in the cabin, 2D. Totally full. (For fun, I used ZRH on the same dates and then did EF to look each day forward and back 3 days. ZRH is open. Although CX is only selling two F tickets each day to/from ZRH those days, it strongly looks like that's because they're overselling J. I infer this from the F seat map wide open and the J seat map heavily occupied).

Of course I only do these trips 2-3x a year so it's obviously very anecdotal. But in my head, right or wrong I think "Going to/from ZRH, no problem getting F last minute. To/from CDG, I better be in advance".
G-CIVC and rufflesinc like this.
Old May 21, 2018, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by QRC3288
ZRH and CDG are my most frequent European ports. Anecdotally, I have never had an issue buying (or redeeming for) a ZRH F ticket in the last 3-4 years, however long it has been running.

Compare that to CDG, where on a few occasions I genuinely couldnt buy an F ticket, admitted last minute. But another example, 5 weeks I am looking to fly CDG-HKG in F... if I book, I am the last seat available in the cabin, 2D. Totally full. (For fun, I used ZRH on the same dates and then did EF to look each day forward and back 3 days. ZRH is open. Although CX is only selling two F tickets each day to/from ZRH those days, it strongly looks like that's because they're overselling J. I infer this from the F seat map wide open and the J seat map heavily occupied).

Of course I only do these trips 2-3x a year so it's obviously very anecdotal. But in my head, right or wrong I think "Going to/from ZRH, no problem getting F last minute. To/from CDG, I better be in advance".
That's interesting, as I've found ZRH-HKG & vice versa to be consistently the most difficult CX route on which to find award space.

In particular it seems that little to no space is opened up close to departure (compared with, say, the HKG-North American routes), which I suspect may be due to CX intentionally overselling J, as you said.
Old May 21, 2018, 5:41 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by grady4
That's interesting, as I've found ZRH-HKG & vice versa to be consistently the most difficult CX route on which to find award space.

In particular it seems that little to no space is opened up close to departure (compared with, say, the HKG-North American routes), which I suspect may be due to CX intentionally overselling J, as you said.
Yea, I don't think award space is a relevant indicator here. I usually buy cash tickets and ZRH F is consistently never a problem. And then the cabin goes out full of op-ups. I'm almost certain they oversell J which would explain the lack of F inventory. Theoretically this is a very busy essentially heavy route but that doesn't always translate into cash F purchases. But J, yes.
Old May 21, 2018, 6:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Id think j is what finance companies pay for, and F is what the entertainment biz/fasion biz/tiger momsetc would pay for in general
And then u get outliers.

so looking at the routing ull find out which ones f gets booked out and which one not
Old Jun 1, 2018, 10:46 am

per airlineroute twitter, change to A350-1000

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.