Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Clubpoints run (as oppose to mileage run)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2018, 11:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marco Polo, BA Executive club, SPG, Hyatt,

Since CX uses club points for Marco Polo renewal, I guess it'd be useful to have a clubpoints run thread so that people are aware of the best deals.

In addition, since fare code difference affect points accumulated, any fare code that gives more clubpoints/fare may also be shared here.
Old May 17, 2018, 1:54 am

Programs: CX DM, Watsons Wine Burgundy
Look at ex-china I class to US.
Old May 21, 2018, 12:50 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium, CX DM, SQ Gold
CX in I class from Taiwan to US East Coast.

Or.. If you are in the region the cheapest club points are found by flying Malaysian Airlines discounted business class (Z) promos BKK-KUL-DPS, BKK-KUL-MNL, also Vietnam.

Doesn't need to start BKK, that was just an example. But you get the picture. XXX-KUL-YYY where XXX and YYY are short hops.
You can often get 150 club points at ~800 USD equivalent that way or 100 Club Points for around ~650 USD equiv.
royng, CBR922 and thomas164 like this.
Old May 22, 2018, 1:03 am

Programs: CX MPC DM, HU FWC Gold
Originally Posted by forumpersona999

Or.. If you are in the region the cheapest club points are found by flying Malaysian Airlines discounted business class (Z) promos BKK-KUL-DPS, BKK-KUL-MNL, also Vietnam.

Doesn't need to start BKK, that was just an example. But you get the picture. XXX-KUL-YYY where XXX and YYY are short hops.
You can often get 150 club points at ~800 USD equivalent that way or 100 Club Points for around ~650 USD equiv.
True. MH is the best solution for MPC. Take SIN as example, CX HKG-SIN round D/I class = 60 points or J/C = 70 points and the price is insanely high.

If you choose MH, HKG-KUL-SIN in Z/D class can get 80 points. It costs far less than CX and more point than CX. The Con. is, HKG KUL got 3 daily and 2 are 738/73X.
royng likes this.
Old May 22, 2018, 4:06 am

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.
QF closed loophole of MHs insanely cheap fares by limiting the business SC earn rate (equivent of club points) to those of discount economy for routes where qf competes. for example MH KUL to SYD in business earns same as discount econony earned in similar aus-asia routings... however funny enough the KUL-Asia sectors earns generous J club points

i suspect MPC will soon apply similar discriminatory award rates on MH as they both compete for simiar asia business.
Old May 22, 2018, 6:32 am

Programs: CX MPC DM, HU FWC Gold
Originally Posted by fakecd
QF closed loophole of MHs insanely cheap fares by limiting the business SC earn rate (equivent of club points) to those of discount economy for routes where qf competes. for example MH KUL to SYD in business earns same as discount econony earned in similar aus-asia routings... however funny enough the KUL-Asia sectors earns generous J club points

i suspect MPC will soon apply similar discriminatory award rates on MH as they both compete for simiar asia business.
I do try couple search on MPC calculator.

(Lowest fare class in Business in round trip)

HKG-BKK. RJ got 50 points, UL got 40, CX got 60.

HKG-KUL. MH got 50 points, KA got 60.

HKG-HND . JL got 50, CX got 60, KA got 60.

Kinda like on every CX/KA operated route, CXKA will got higher points even in the same price range (HKG-HND).

What makes MH HKG-KUL-SIN different is KUL-SIN. It has 30 MPC points for round cause CX usually took other operator's business class as one. In this case, MH J/C/D/Z both are in the same formula and it's fair. SIN - KUL is longer than than HKG-CAN, HKG-CAN has 40 MPC, and SIN-KUL got 30 only. I don't think they will take any action.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 1:59 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
For those in Europe I class return LON-MAD-BCN/SVQ CAN ROUTINELY BE HAD FOR £250 and it earns 80 points
hessbo likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 11:09 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by forumpersona999
Do TPE-HKG-JFK/ORD-LAX/SFO/YVR/SEA round-trip, even cheaper than TPE-HKG-JFK/ORD round-trip alone.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 2:44 pm

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.
Originally Posted by ernestnywang
Do TPE-HKG-JFK/ORD-LAX/SFO/YVR/SEA round-trip, even cheaper than TPE-HKG-JFK/ORD round-trip alone.
i found ez XMN are much better than ex TPE
fairhsa likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 9:12 pm

Programs: Qantas (Lifetime Gold), PAL (Elite), British Airways (now sadly blue), Cathay MPO DM
Originally Posted by fakecd
i found ez XMN are much better than ex TPE
I often do ex TPE but recently tried ex CAN because the price was better. But CAN is much harder to get to to start the journey - fewer flights and inability to turn-around on the same plane in China due to the requirment to enter China (and of course you need a visa). That makes the ex China flights practically much harder, imho.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 9:34 pm
cgo

Originally Posted by fairhsa
I often do ex TPE but recently tried ex CAN because the price was better. But CAN is much harder to get to to start the journey - fewer flights and inability to turn-around on the same plane in China due to the requirment to enter China (and of course you need a visa). That makes the ex China flights practically much harder, imho.
If you are based in Japan or Korea and going to Singapore or Bangkok, (and you have too much time) take advantage of CX fifth freedom rights.

Japan/Korea (KIX, NRT, ICN) - TPE - HKG - BKK- SIN (or SIN-BKK) vv. On V Class, you will earn a whopping 100points, instead of the usual 60 points.

If you are based in Japan, fly JL from ITM to OKA (5 points on Sakitoku fares). First class on JL from ITM to HND at 15 points.

MH provides good deals ex BKK via KUL to anywhere in India/Singapore. That is 100 points roundtrip.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 2:08 pm

Programs: Cathay Diamond and Singapore Gold
TPE usually makes a good origin...
As cgo said, the fifth freedom routes are very useful to get the extra points... just got a good deal from tpe to sin with 2 stops, with the fare and earn rates even better than MH promos.. A return I class gets you 160pts.. Not difficult to figure out the routing....
Old Jun 9, 2019, 10:41 pm

Programs: BA SL, CX GR, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by Microtat
TPE usually makes a good origin...
As cgo said, the fifth freedom routes are very useful to get the extra points... just got a good deal from tpe to sin with 2 stops, with the fare and earn rates even better than MH promos.. A return I class gets you 160pts.. Not difficult to figure out the routing....
Thanks for the thoughts. I suppose you mean stopping in HKG and BKK with a change of flight number respectively. How did you manage to buy such tickets? As it doesn’t seem available on CX’s webpage.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 2:01 am

Programs: Cathay Diamond and Singapore Gold
Originally Posted by SLGO

Thanks for the thoughts. I suppose you mean stopping in HKG and BKK with a change of flight number respectively. How did you manage to buy such tickets? As it doesn’t seem available on CX’s webpage.
That’s right, all different flight numbers. You can do it on the cx web via the multi city function. All searches to be by individual sectors, with the exception of either tpebkk and/or bkktpe which brings you to the 4/5 search options allowed. And, you do not need the 3 days view.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 9:44 am

Programs: CX Green | UA Silver | Marriott Lifetime Platinum | Hyatt Globalist | Hilton Gold | AA EXP
So what is considered a good price (i.e. HKD per CP) for clubpoint run?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.